Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For one it wasn't a claw, for two I had it done to avoid problems later so it was more for the health and safety of the kitten now as well as later. If it was then I guess I'm cruel bcz I wanted to avoid potential problems later and let the baby have a normal life and not drag a tail on the ground or through the litter box every time it went. So call me what u will buy it believe I did what was best. In the 2 minutes it took to be done I heard about 2 short meows and was asleep by the time he got back from his 10 pace walk. I'm good with the decision I made and would do it again if presented with the 2 options. I also personally know that they do not use anesthesia to remove a dew claw anywhere on any dog at a young age. They do only if they r older and having problems (which is why they remove them in dogs bcz they can get caught, torn and infected) bcz the veins and nerves have grown in making it harder and more invasive and sometimes even impossible. They call it cruel and inhumane bcz it is a working part of their body and an extension of the vertebrae that provide balance and stability in the dog/cat so removing what doesn't work to begin with could hardly be in the same category.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So another question. It seems that the one who has now become lovingly known as Bob aka #3 is a bit wet like he pees a bit without mom's help. I've noticed it a few times since he was born and none of the others r ever damp back there when I look at them. Is it normal for him to have a bit of dampness back there, or is it like he can't control his bladder, or am I just over thinking bcz of his minor birth defect?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So he is definitely peeing or something bcz he had a big drip this time with the usual wetness when I went in and looked. It's only been a couple of hours. I asked the vet when I took him in if she thought he would have Manx syndrome bcz of his tail not being movable and at a weird angle ect and she said it was very unlikely. Is that what it is? I haven't found any posts on newborns with Manx so idk what to think at this point. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow but is this likely? Has anyone had a kitten with a birth defect in the tail similar to his? (He does still have a tail even though u can't see it in the pics, it is very wound up and stays close to the body) I noticed the leakage before the tail (actually how I finally realized the tail was all wrong) so I know it wasn't from her doing the tail. Anyone with any advice on Manx syndrome, birth defects in tails, newborn inconvenience, anything please help as I want him to have the best life possible!

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Manx's usually have defecation problems, not urination problems.

Kittens this young usually need mom's stimulation to urinate and defecate - (defecation moreso) - if he is *constantly* wet, I'd have your vet take a look at him especially since she just docked his tail (want to make sure no infection).  Again, gather mom and babies up together in a large carrier with blanket and take them in together.

Just to rule it out, are you sure mom isn't constantly licking him?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is constantly licking him. It was like a dribble and I have flipped him over for her to lick him and when she does its like he's dry after. I called the vet and they said it's not normal bit there isn't anything they could do for him bcz he's so young anyway so I should just wait and see if he grows out of it. He actually wasn't wet when I went in after work today so perhaps it's getting better? I really just have no idea what to think of it, all I know is I hope little Bob will be ok and stop all together. I already feel bad for the poor guy for the tail. O, the cutest thing, I guess a couple of them have started hissing!! I was extremely worried at first that they were sick and lost their voices but I took and turned them over which usually gets a meow to make sure they were ok and they were lol. It was really funny and adorable once I figured it out lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as Bob is eating and growing I would wait to see how things go. He may have peed because his bladder was full and he needed to go. Just make sure he stays clean and dry so he doesn't get urine burns on his legs and back end.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that he might just be overly sensitive and he more or less stimulates himself if he rubs against his brothers or the blanket even. I'm hoping maybe it is something like that. Is it OK to use unscented baby wipes on him? I try to get moo-moo to lick him when I see he is wet but sometimes she wont. All 4 of them are pretty much identical in size, all eating well, and other than little bobs tail and pee pee situation all 4 babies and moo moo are doing great!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not recommend wipes as they usually contain alcohol. A soft wash cloth is best.

Last edited:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O I never would've thought about that. Thank u.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So as the time gets closer for my little ones to start doing more I find I am wondering about the kittens eating. I work what people consider a seasonal job so weather is a BIG factor for my income. I want the kittens to eat the best quality food but I also need a good price. I bought all my dog/cat food in bulk before the weather changed but I can't feed that to moo-moo and the babies so I now have to figure out quality and quantity for them. What is the best affordable food to feed them? Moo-moo is eating Purina one kitten at the moment that I had from merlin and friskies canned that I bought bcz the cans r big so I can give to everyone. I have some coupons for authority from petsmart (not sure how good or affordable it really is). I get coupons for canned food sometimes but my cats only occasionally get canned and moo-moo seems to not care for it much since the babies came. What is recommendeded for them all? Dry with water or goats milk, canned, both? What brands?

They r all doing very very well and r really active. Little Bob has taken to hissing at me lol, it's kind of cute but I'm worried he associates his tail being cut with the smell and feel of ppl. #1 isn't a fan of being picked up, and #4 & #2 are cuddle bugs for sure. I scheduled their spay and neuter for March 11th at the clinic (they were surprised I wanted to make it being that far away but I want to be certain I get in bcz they sometimes get 50+ in a day). Little Bob was looking out the window it looked like when I went in a minute ago lol. He had his little head held up in the air, is was so cute (even though he can't see). They certainly r thriving! Moo-moo is apparently overly protective of her babies bcz she hisses and growls at people as well as my animals (who insist on standing at the door when I go in). Hopefully she will get over it once the babies r older. She's a great mom though, and very sweet to me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like all is well! When the kittens begin to wean in a few weeks, dry kitten chow moistened with goat's milk or formula to soften it is good, as is pate-style wet food such as Fancy Feast Classic.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, all of the kittens opened their eyes, but then yesterday one of them had one eye closed again. Today he now has both closed. The others r ok and their eyes r fine. Is it possible for only one of them to have an infection, or is it more likely that he got scratched by one of his brothers in the eyes? I feel bad cause he can't see again, and I started doing the warm washcloth on them to try and loosen them up for him. Any suggestions or do I need to take him to the vet? Other than that everyone is doing great and r so cute and playful. They r getting so curious already, and they try so hard to really walk or move fast towards me but face plant. It's cute.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is possible for just one to have eye infections. If the warm, damp cloth applied to the eyes is not helping the eyes to open back up, you absolutely must get to a vet ASAP!

It is important that any infection drain out and not back up behind the lids and cause damage to the eye.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O got his little eyes both to open up and goop out as good as I could. I am going to try and do this a couple times a day and see if he gets better. They didn't open all the way but I felt so bad for him bcz he wanted his mama and was scared at all the new noises that I stopped. I got them both prolly a quarter of the way open though and they were pretty clean looking. If I keep doing this they should get better right?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O got his little eyes both to open up and goop out as good as I could. I am going to try and do this a couple times a day and see if he gets better. They didn't open all the way but I felt so bad for him bcz he wanted his mama and was scared at all the new noises that I stopped. I got them both prolly a quarter of the way open though and they were pretty clean looking. If I keep doing this they should get better right?
He needs to see a vet for antibiotic ointment. It can't wait and it's not going to get better on its own.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so little Bob STILL has his unbiblical cord attached to him. Is this a problem or will it fall off eventually? Doesn't seem to bother him at all, just strange. He was caught licking his mom's bowl so today he ate real food for what I know of being the first time. None of the others would touch it. He was also caught a couple hours later trying to eat her hard food, it was cute seeing him try lol. He doesn't walk all that well yet, so I do wonder if it will get better or not bcz his brothers are all walking and playing like normal kittens and he is more like a stumbling rabbit (although he can go pretty quick when he chases the dog lol). I'm afraid he's not progressing as well at some things but others flying past his brothers. He might just be my special little Bob. O, and Pete's eyes (#2) cleared up completely after I cleaned them for 2 days. Screech (#4) is still the smaller than the others a tad, but he eats and yells like a champ. Dozer (#1) the biggest and by far the one who causes the biggest ruckus is everywhere! It was hilarious the other day he was playing spiderman on the side of the bed. I took him off after a minute or two just so he wouldn't fall though.