Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Idk, I thought they were ready at 8 weeks? They will be 9 weeks the day after they get fixed, so the original plan was to find homes and send everyone on their way like the day or two after. If I need to wait longer I will, but if not the sooner the better so I am not anymore attache than I am right now if it won't cause them harm

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm off work for wind today so moo-moo is headed to get fixed at 9 am. I'm happy she's going but I hope she doesn't stay to mad at me! It's funny bcz merlin was singing when she was in labor, and I've caught her doing that to the babies when she wants them to come nurse. It's really cute and funny bcz I thought it was merlin but it turned out to be her lol. Mama kitty has taken to trying to test her limits with her I believe bcz she gets as close to her as possible and either stares or makes long laps around the room. I think once she calms down and she isn't watching all the babies everyone will get along great. Hopefully she will take to mothering merlin bcz that's what he tries to get mama kitty to do lol. I have a goofy bunch but they certainly r cute and entertaining! I'll update when we get her home later this afternoon

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well that went half terrible half well. They used to do $25 a piece spay and neuter, well that price went up. Stray cats now have to have a $28 exam first, pay for the shots they give then and then come back later for it to actually be done for 37.50. Since I made the appointment for her and her babies before the price change (last week) the lady said she was going to try and see what they could do about the babies and did moo for the $25. For $65.50 and having to take off work not once, but twice idk what I'm gonna do. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will honor the price from before, and this will be the last pregnant cat I take in bcz it just became unaffordable to help them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The $37.50 for the spay isn't too bad. My Humane Society is $60. And even paying for required shots I can understand. The exam fee seems unnecessary. Is this the cheapest place you could find? I do hope they honor the former price they quoted you!

How is Moo doing since the spay?

And the sound mama cat makes to call her kittens is called trilling! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a name for it? I never heard it until merlin, is it weird for a boy cat to do? (He is a little strange lol)

The 37.50 wouldn't be bad, except the original price was 25, same day, distemper and rabies shots included. It's now become $65.50 total plus shots and it takes 2 times. I can't afford that for all of them. I hope they Honor it, if not I'm going to this other place who will prolly try and make me get city tags for each of them. They apparently do 20 for dewormer and distemper (they already get dewormer though), and a voucher for 25 at a later time. They also have to be 3 lbs or 12 weeks there. Also a 2 time visit. Yeah, hopefully they do honor it since I already had the appointment set. I am going to ask her to push it back if possible to make sure screech and Bob hit the 2 lb mark for sure (I think they will but idk). If they wont that's fine as long as I get it for a good price. I think I'll stick to old cats at kill shelters cause the getting kittens fixed has just become a fiasco!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that the package deal was best. That's how many places do it. Continue pushing for the old price that includes the shots. I also don't get why it takes two times!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O, I forgot moo is still gone, I pick her up at 4. I am, and the lady kinda felt bad I think cause I really wouldn't have taken her if I couldn't have done it for that price. She is pushing it for me too cause I had the appointment already (really hope she gets it done!).
I feel bad for dozer, he came up digging at my hair purring and now he's trying to suck on merlin. He's licking on him and stuff but I think they r both lost lol. Moo always has to call them to eat now, so idk y he is trying now. He will be ok for a few more hrs right?! I feel bad for him! And kinda merlin too, but I think he's almost enjoying the attention!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They'll be fine. They are missing mama, but they'll manage. Be sure to ask for 3 days of pain meds for Moo. The kittens won't need it when they get done, but it takes the edge off for mom.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O ok. Idk for sure they offer that but if they do I will. I wouldnt have really thought about it, but i guess with 4 sets of tiny claws and all she will need them! They were saying I needed to keep them separated for most of the next couple days, up to 10, is that true?! They also said don't let them suck, I think they should come tell dozer that, cause he bit my ear a minute ago! Merlin wore him out, now they r asleep.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat returned the same day and her four kittens went right back to nursing immediately. She had dissolving stitches, and I did not make her wear her cone. The kittens were 8 weeks old. Everything was fine. If Moo does not want to nurse, she will let them know!

Vets tell you all these precautions, but they are being very conservative. They like to tell you that female cats don't need pain meds, but they do for 2-3 days when they are adults.

Last edited:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've never had an adult cat fixed, always were done young. Merlin was the oldest for me and they said he's prolly 1 or 1.5 years. He didn't get any, but he is also a boy (I hear that is different). I think they thought I tamed a feral bcz she looks so mean at ppl lol. I knew my moo moo wouldn't let me down with her evil stare! I have a feeling that's y they did her for the 25, they thought she was a feral, not just stray. I just hope they don't chip scan her cause I got her done before the babies! I want her home, I feel bad cause she was trying to go in the room with her babies when I put her in the crate. My 2 big cats r enjoying it though! Never been so stressed about getting an animal fixed. I better take a nap!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Neutering is quick and relatively painless. I've never needed pain medicine for a male. Moo will be okay. She'll be happy to be home with her babies! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's home! Bob thought she smelled funny, I think they all did for just a moment then she called them and they all came and ate. Poor girl, she looked stressed but she's all happy now! She's already eating, I figure she's prolly got to considering she still feeds all of them lol.

Bob is doing well (aside from wondering get who his mom was for a moment). I was actually just contemplating how his neutering would work... diapers, poop, and open wounds just doesn't sound good. Nor does his bath and dissolving anything. Little beside myself on that at the moment.

The really nice lady got a note tagged on the appointment for the babies saying it is $25 a piece since that was what I was quoted on the phone. She said she sees no reason they wouldn't Honor it. Now just to make sure screech and Bob are both big enough by then! They better get to eating!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome that mom is eating and nursing. Did you get pain meds?

Neutering is a quick and easy procedure for males, and leaves no wounds. Kittens recover very quickly! My 3 males were done at 12 weeks and came home and started playing right away. Bob will be fine!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They don't offer them under the feral program (somehow I think they forget they have a website that states stray and feral). I am watching her, and if she seems to be acting funny I'll call my vet and get some. Thus far she seems normal, maybe a little slow, but she hasn't ever been moving that fast. She's clinging to the babies though. She missed them.

I can't remember what merlin was like, I really just remember being freaked he had furry testicles that were there! I know he acted terrible when he got home though, he was really not feeling well. Slept a lot and was sick. I guess moo moo did have more of a reason to be alert and is far healthier than merlin was since she's been here and eating well for so long. He got upper respiratory infection from there, gave it to mama, and caused a whole mess of problems. He was as small as moo moo though, which is about 3 lbs lighter than now (he's a big boy, but only 10 lbs). That takes a big worry off that he won't get infected. I hope everyone gets their weight goal by then!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is recovering from the anesthesia, and that is why she seems slow. She will probably lay around and sleep more the next couple of days.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I was figuring. I really hope she doesn't hurt, although it seems like they give them a pain injection. I picked her up and she's laying on me now. She likes to sit and stare at me anyway, and she looked like she was going to fall asleep doing it this time. She's relaxing and watching the babies.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just going to comment that Andy (My previous foster- Momma of 8!) Was spayed when her kittens were about 7-8 weeks and came back and started nursing them right away! Lol I think she enjoyed the trip to the vet as a vacation away from the 8 hungry mouths!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O wow 8! That's a lot! Moo moo only has 4, and they r a lot for her, but she probably only weighs 7 lbs herself lol. I bet she would've enjoyed her trip if there were 8! She's doing really well. Still watching the babies like a hawk and nursing them. She started loosing her milk a few days ago, so the nursing has become an ordeal for her anyway bcz they all fight over the back. She's so tired that she could care less about the other cats which is a big plus for a moment.