Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor moo not feeling well. She slept in the bathroom floor on the rug (luckily it's memory foam and really soft. Three of the kittens ended up in bed with me this morning, apparently only screech could find her. She seems ok for the most part, but she doesn't move a lot or want to jump. I'm calling my vet today to see if they will give me some pain medication for her to maybe help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep. That's why I suggested you ask for pain meds for 3 days. She's sore. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the kittens have free run of the house?  Or do you have a kitten proofed area where they can wander?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They have both. Of I'm home I let them run. I let them stay out last night in case moo moo needed something she could come in. Merlin and mama were being good babysitters yesterday even after she came home too. They r in their room all day while I'm gone. My vet said they couldn't do it without seeing her which is a lot, so I called the place that did it. Apparently it's "unusual" they said for her to be in pain, so they want to see her before they give her anything. I've gotta rush home to grab her and hope I get her there by 430. This was her last night.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is that a hand in the left of the picture? Is she still feeling poorly? Most vets offer pain meds. I hope they will give her something.

Last edited:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Still not feeling well, actually glad they didn't give them to her cause she had a fever and they gave her pain meds and an antibiotic. They also gave her fluids while I was there, is it typical for them to free flow them into her back in a giant lump and quite a bit come back out?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O, and it was my hand. It kinda looks like she has a person hand taking a selfie lol. I gave her the pain med first, they said wait 30 minutes and give her the antibiotic so she doesn't get sick. At least this way they caught the fever she had and got her on something quickly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you took her in. She should begin to feel better in the next couple of days. Your experience is not the norm.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a little taken aback by them anyway. They acted like it was a sin her babies were still nursing and told me to take them away. I know from u all that's not true, and I was really worried about the "iv fluids" pumped into the back of her neck. I would think that would hurt for one, and shouldn't it be in a vein like with ppl? I wish I had the money to take them all somewhere nicer to get done [emoji]128546[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little taken aback by them anyway. They acted like it was a sin her babies were still nursing and told me to take them away. I know from u all that's not true, and I was really worried about the "iv fluids" pumped into the back of her neck. I would think that would hurt for one, and shouldn't it be in a vein like with ppl? I wish I had the money to take them all somewhere nicer to get done [emoji]128546[/emoji]
Cats have very elastic skin. That's normal for the fluids. They slowly absorb into the body.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Correct - fluids are given to cats in the back of the neck. It's fine the babies are still nursing. Has the pain medicine helped Moo?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the giant humor of fluid the latest most of leaked back out was normal? That's 100% not what the term iv even means, and the vet wasn't even the one who did it. Subcutaneously is how they did it. I'm confused in the whole thing. Just as why do they not think it ok for them to be nursing? And if moo has a fever isn't she contagious to my other cats and her babies? They said no, it was just a "post surgery flu". What does that mean? Anything I've encountered with this reaction means she has an infection somewhere.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think she felt funny at first, but I had to leave for a bit and as soon as I got home she seems pretty normal. I think she's really mad at me now though bcz I had to give her the other med. Could I mix it with some wet food? She's always trying to steal Bob's, so I am pretty sure she would eat it all. Or should I not with the antibiotic? I am going to be so upset if everyone gets sick, or something happens to moo. The more I've thought about it, the more I am worried. Merlin cost $200 to take care of him and mamas upper respiratory infection. [emoji]128575[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moo should not be contagious to her kittens. She likely has an infection from the surgery. You can put her medicine in wet food. Just make sure she eats it all. The fluids are administered subcutaeously, but they should not have come back out.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So the giant humor of fluid the latest most of leaked back out was normal? That's 100% not what the term iv even means, and the vet wasn't even the one who did it. Subcutaneously is how they did it. I'm confused in the whole thing. .
Yes! The Fluids on the back of the neck is normal, they are supposed to slowly absorb them that way. I actually have a bag of fluids at home and syringes from my vet to use with dehydrated fosters, I have had a few sick ones that definitely needed them! Some may leak out but it isn't all supposed to, I don't think that whoever gave them to her did them right if they all leaked out.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Moo moo is doing great. She actually was back to herself after I gave her the first pain medication by the next morning. I think tonight is her last one, and I'm still giving her the antibiotics. The babies r doing amazing, and they r quite a mess loo, but definitely cute! So Bob had his med for the first time today. That was pretty terrible. He EXPLODED! I mean everywhere! He got his little diaper off and I had cleaned him up again and took a nap. In the 45 minutes I was asleep apparently he managed to poop all over my bed, bathroom, shoes ect. It was a mess. Although either he emptied it all out or somehow stopped pooping for awhile after all that and a full body bath. It did nothing for the pee what do ever. I actually expressed his bladder again right before his bath. Maybe after a few days he will poop less and get something better happening from it. At the moment it seems a waste, and a mess! I had to make him new diapers with hard velcro to hopefully hold them on better so he can't bite them and pull them off. I hope they work. I should be getting the next ones I ordered by Tuesday and I really hope these fit or I might just have a litter of kittens myself!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! I'm concerned that the medicine did this to Bob. Which medicine is it? I thought he was getting a medicine to help him pee. This sounds like a laxative.

Are you sure you even want to give this to him again? I don't think I would. The diarhhea is entirely unhealthy for him (and you) to suffer through. Bob is special needs, and I don't think any medicine is going to change that much.

Glad Moo is doing well!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I am going to try it a few times as I finally did see something positive and that's that he actually twitches in the rear when I wipe him now. That's an improvement from the nothing that was happening previously. It is a side effect, and I verified with the vet that it in fact is supposed to help him pee. I think it might stop after a couple of times. I luckily did the give it to him with his laxative mixed food. He gets 1 drop once per day, so he gets it again tomorrow on his breakfast. He hasn't really pooped since his explosion, and he did just have his dinner, so we will see here in a bit when he gets squeezed for the night

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, idk if it's helping or hindering or what really. He exploded yesterday, now he hasn't pooped on his own. I squeezed him this morning and he did then (and a bunch). It may have made it easier to express his bladder though. Although he does hate it when he poops at the same time so he tears my hands up getting upset. Idk, I'll give it a couple days and as long as he isn't getting backed up or diareah then we can see what happens. The vet also said it can be given twice a day if no improvement so idk, we will see. At least there wasn't an explosion!