Help with cat in labor

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be done then. Will she let you pet her head? Her milk is going to come in and she is going to be absolutely miserable and depressed with no live babies. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has water and food and milk right next to her. I backed up a bit to give her space i do think she may have another!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will need to recover from this whether she likes it or not. And you are planning to spay her anyway. Poor kitty. Thank goodness she found you and your barn. I just wish she had birthed at least one live kitten. You have been her angel. She may be wary of you but she knows you have helped her. Is she calm but exhausted now? I wish you had orphan kittens to give to her to nurse. Sigh ...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bearing in mind that i have no experience with feral or semi feral cats -- would it be possible that this momma cat who's lost her babies could be a good candidate for a shelter, one that has orphaned kittens needing a momma cat? that way this momma and the babies will all benefit, and hopefully they can be fostered and momma cat becomes more comfortable around humans -- so would be more adoptable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking same, but with no health history and no shots, she is not an acceptable candidate as a feral. Sigh ...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you think she has one more to go? Is she still laboring? I just saw your post.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, how is it going? I surely know it is a bad night for you. I assume there was not another kitten. How is mama kitty and how are you? Perhaps after you respond we can close out for the evening - on a sad note no less. And you have children to put to bed.

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry my kids cans out asking questions so we had to explain, we promised to bury the babies. We had other animals pass and they realize in the wild this happens sometimes. She is still licking herself and the kittens and I do still think there is anther kitten and I am praying it's Alive. Husband is putting kids to bed and brought me a coffee, I don't want to leave until I know she is done and can keep her secure in here

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't seem distressed and is still purring, do you think they know it will be a bad outcome?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad your children seem to grasp it. I was going to suggest burial. Your husband sounds like a keeper!

Sometimes a cat appears lumpy like there is still another kitten, but it is her uterus which needs to shrink. Since she is purring, do you think she is done? Or what makes you think there might be another kitten? I hope so and hope it might be alive but I am afraid it is wishful thinking.

It's okay for her to lick her kittens tonight. She will come to realize they are not alive. Sometimes they seem to know when things are bad, but not always. When they do, they cast them aside. She is probably in a bit of shock. Being a new mom she may not completely understand yet. Her body went through a lot. She is primed to nurse snd care for kittens. Sounds like she would have made a good mom!

I don't blame you for sitting with her. I would do the same. Has she eaten anything since she gave birth? She will need some time to recover.

I'm glad you have coffee and are holding up okay! :)

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She hasn't are or drank but she did eat all those placentas. I think she is still in labor and is still breathing fast like she was before she started pushing. She also was purring then to. I will wait and see and update if anything happens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! I will be right here! And honestly, they frequently do not eat for many hours after birthing and eating placentas. It's like the placentas provide nourishment so mama can stay and get the babies nursing well before she needs to go search for food!

Glad she's calm and purring. I could be wrong, but guessing the heavy breathing is after pains. We will know eventually. Thank you again for caring for her and posting your updates for us.