Help with cat in labor

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Polydactyls! The famous writer, Ernest Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea), was well-known for his beloved polydactyl cats. Descendants of his original polydactyl cats can be seen still living (and cared for by his estate) at his former home (now a museum) in Key West, Florida. Polydactyls have extra digits.

So, nothing wrong with them!

Glad you visited with mom and that she's "talking" to you. She sounds like a good mom, and she'll get house broken eventually. I agree with your vet though that this is not a good time to do anything with her. It doesn't sound necessary right now. I can't tell you how happy I feel that she has food and shelter with you. Poor mama must feel like she's in paradise!

Are you able to do laundry in there with her?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I turned the dryer on for a few minutes to see how she would react and she slept through it. It's honestly not quiet in this house in any way, the dog knows not to go near the laundry room and I have him a blanket I had with them and he carries it all over the house. He's just waiting for those curious kittens to start wondering around. She left the room this morning went right up to our 5 year old (who is the animal lover of the bunch) and circled her and meowed until I told her to follow her. He cat led her right to her little den to show her the kittens. I couldn't believe it. She continues to go the bathroom on the floor but is closer to the pee pads now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, what a cute story about Kitty and your 5-year-old. You guys need to name her. She sounds so proud of her babies!

Hopefully she'll use the pee pads soon, making cleanup easier, and eventually learn the litter box.

I'm glad you can use the washer and dryer! That's critical.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The babies are adorable! They look healthy too! She seems to be an excellent mom :).