Help with cat in labor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I set traps last night and kept checking them but I only caught repeat offenders . I left the barn accessible but it's pouring today. I'm so upset

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no. That would be horrifying, wouldn't she give birth to all stillborns again? I don't know much about cats but with most livestock has a stillborn it usually means any pregnancy after that's chances are 75 percent chance if stillborn again. Would she even be receptive to having kittens again or is it just all primal? Poor thing looked so young

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she would give birth to stillborns again.  I thought the kittens were stillborn because she carried them too long.  But now she knows where a safe place is and I hope would head there early.

I think it's primal.  One of the feral cats near me gave birth last year and wouldn't take care of the kittens.  A neighbor bottle fed them.  She had a litter a couple months ago and is raising those with a male tuxedo.  She is in heat again :(  they have tried to catch her for spaying but she is too clever.

Last edited by a moderator:

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's amazing the whole thing really. As an isolated thing it's really sad but it's amazing what they do to keep themselves alive and to reproduce

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think it's primal.  One of the feral cats near me gave birth last year and wouldn't take care of the kittens.  A neighbor bottle fed them.  She had a litter a couple months ago and is raising those with a male tuxedo.  She is in heat again :(  they have tried to catch her for spaying but she is too clever.
Have they tried a drop-trap? Someone must hurry, she must be trapped before something bad happens or the neighborhood ends up very full of kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear she didn't enter any of your traps, but I tend to think she'll be back. Even pregnant, she can be spayed unless she's bulging. And no, I don't think she would necessarily have stillborns again. But hopefully it doesn't come to that. I think she'll be back soon looking for food.

How does the spay van work? Do you have to make an appointment?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I don't think she would give birth to stillborns again.  I thought the kittens were stillborn because she carried them too long.  But now she knows where a safe place is and I hope would head there early.
It is true they can delay their delivery if stressed or unsure about her safety, and this may have added into a somwhat late delivery.

But the last one was clearly deformed. (I dont know about the others).  So it was  clearly why it was stillborne.  Luckily it WAS stillborne, the dieing could be unpleasant otherwise, its not always they fade peacefully away..

Nay, it seems cats manage a  too long pregnancy better than humans.   Its my clear impression from the hundreds of deliveries I have followed here, where the owners were very concerned with the "waiting game"

Nay, the great danger for kittens is to be born too early

Its like the Homeros  Scylla and Charybdis, two very dangerous places to avoid and sail safely inbetween.  But one of them is worse than the other.    Vice versa to humans.

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I call and ask if they have any spots available in local locations. They usually have a van within 15 miles everyday. I have to drop off the cat by 9 am and then pick up at 12 or drop off at 1 pm and pick up at 5pm. It's usually the same people in my area they have given me there cell numbers so I can call or text them if the office doesn't answer. I have never been turned away or told they don't have time or they too many cats

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is true they can delay their delivery if stressed or unsure about her safety, and this may have added into a somwhat late delivery.

But the last one was clearly deformed. (I dont know about the others).  So it was  clearly why it was stillborne.  Luckily it WAS stillborne, the dieing could be unpleasant otherwise, its not always they fade peacefully away..

Nay, it seems cats manage a  too long pregnancy better than humans.   Its my clear impression from the hundreds of deliveries I have followed here, where the owners were very concerned with the "waiting game"

Nay, the great danger for kittens is to be born too early

Its like the Homeros  Scylla and Charybdis, two very dangerous places to avoid and sail safely inbetween.  But one of them is worse than the other.    Vice versa to humans.
She posted a picture of the kittens and they had long claws and were very furry.  Some were already out of the sacs.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The van sounds very convenient! So whenever you do trap her, getting her in for the spay will not be a problem. Let's hope she returns soon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello there!

Any luck with trapping her? Or even a sighting of her?

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never saw her again until about two days ago, she was hanging around the barn looking for food. I set three traps and didn't get her but I caught another young female. I think the gray one is pregnant again....unless her belly just naturally became saggy and bulgy after giving birth or she has worms which is a possibility. I put some food out for her with kitten milk in it in case she is pregnant. I have never said this about any feral but I think she is too smart to get in the trap. We recently got a beagle and he chased after her and she just stood there and batted him away. He ran away and she just sat in the same spot. As soon as I get close and I mean within a foot she takes off. But she let's me get closer than any other feral. I think she remembers me as a friend. I called our vet to ask if it is safe to give her dewormer in the food if she is pregnant. I should hear back tomorrow. Her coat looks good but I noticed she is coughing. It's not hairballs because I don't see anything come up. I am hoping and praying and crossing my fingers she goes in the trap so I can get her to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello there! Been awhile! So good to hear from you!

She is pregnant, and too far along for an abortion, most likely. She's likely within 2 weeks or less of delivery based on dates from before.

If she's coughing she needs an antibiotic, poor thing. Can your vet prescribe something you can put in her food?

So here we go again. Please feed her, she's obviously desperate. Your barn is familiar to her. Continue trying to trap her, obviously. If you can get her in a trap, what is your plan? Spay, abort, release? Or confine her until she has her babies?

This is sad. I have never stopped thinking about this gal. I hope you have better luck with her this time. She's smart, but needs help again.

I'll be here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, it occurred to me that maybe you should just leave food in the barn for her but not in a trap right now. Just feed her for a few days. Let's see what happens. She's a very smart, and probably ill, mama-to-be again. Poor thing!

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've left the traps out but I don't think she will go in them. If I can trap her I will take her to a vet and see what they think is best, I don't think I could confine her until she has the babies if she is pregnant. She is still hanging around and hasn't left. My kids said she was lounging in a tree closer to the house this morning. I can't be 100% sure that it's her eating the food but it's gone. We have seen her eat twice so she's eating something. I'll ask the vet about the antibiotics when they call and tell them she has a cough. I'm going to look into different kinds of traps and see what other options are out there. I don't think she is just going to walk into the barn this time. We have an area on the side that we keep wood in and part of it is almost under the barn my husband had the idea to clear out some wood so she can get in there and make a little den for herself. I could even put a blanket in there if I had to.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love how your whole family is caring for and working to help this cat.  I hope you are successful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully she's the one eating the food. May be she'll go into the barn if it storms.