Help with cat in labor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet did give me antibiotics and I can't be certain she is eating all of the good it's mixed with but her coughing and hacking is much better. No kittens, I'm still not 100% that she is actually pregnant but I can't think of any other reason she would come back here. Her belly doesn't seem to be growing. She still hasn't gone in the barn and we did have a big thunderstorm, I'm not sure where she went. I guess I'm just playing the waiting to game to are what her next move is. Haven't caught her or anything else for that matter

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully the antibiotic will help her get well. If she's not pregnant she may have worms or pyometra. I guess time will tell. How frustrating not to be able to trap her. She's figured it out!

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she is pregnant for sure, the belly has grown considerably. I saw her eating a mole not sure if that is good for a pregnant cat. Trapped our own cat. She still won't go near them and hasn't gone into the barn but is now wondering closer to the house. I caught her on the back deck this morning and when I went outside she didn't run but slowly waddled her away. Won't let me touch her, as soon as I get within an arms length she dashes off on me. She hasn't been coughing and her fur looks good. I guess I'm just playing the waiting game . My husband thinks she might take the kittens out into the woods once she has them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L lms192327

Are you feeding her on your back deck? Maybe if you feed her there and make a nest for her there you can eventually make friends with her.

Poor gal - eating a mole. How far along do you think she is?

I'm glad her cough and her coat are better. I really hope she doesn't have as hard a time delivering this time. And maybe the kittens will live, though a life in the woods is very iffy.

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we have big news, the cat ran into the house today. I put the food on the deck like you suggested and she waltZed right in today when I opened the door. She just laid right down on the tile floor in the kitchen. Like she lives here. I could not believe it. The dog went up to her and she went full attack mode chasing him around the house. I left all the doors open to let her go back out and she hasn't left. I think she is labor she is in the kids playroom sitting in a box, breathing fast. I'm not sure but I can't think of any other reason she would try and come in the house. I don't see any discharge or mucus? She ate some food. It's very hot here today? Could that make her breath and pant a little? If I leave her side she follows me immediately. I think I need go confine her to a room. I was thinking the bathroom or my bedroo. Where I can shut the door. She went to the bathroom on the floor which is probably because she doesn't know what a litter box is.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L lms192327

Wow! I am overjoyed, hoping this story might still have a happy ending yet.

I would NOT let her back outside again after all you've been through trying to trap her.

Yes, I would confine her to your bedroom. She seems bonded to you. I would put food, water, and a litter box in there as well. She may figure out the litter box soon.

The box in the picture is too small once she has her kittens. I would try to find a bigger box.

She attacked the dog because she's protecting her kittens. It sure does sound like labor is starting - at least stage one.

With her history, it could take awhile, but hopefully will go better than the last time. And let's hope there are live, healthy kittens this go round too.

You're her angel. And now, finally, you'll be able to get her spayed when her kittens wean. My guess is that she'll make a good, but spoiled, yard cat.

Keep us posted on the progress of her labor. She clearly trusts you on some level.

She's very pretty, and I do not think she is truly feral.

Last edited:

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's in much better shape than a few weeks ago! She looks much healthier. She is getting up and moving around. She wants me close by when I tried to move her even in that box she went after me. I tried with gloves but she was too agressive. I'm not sure how to get her into a room. She wants to be close to be by when I go where I want her too (bedroom, laundry room etc) she won't go in the room and when I try and put her in the room she gets so aggressive. Maybe once the real important part of labor happens she will. I have two kids home so I put a movie on and put them on dog duty. I told them not to even go in the room she is in because I don't want the cat to go after them. Our cat who was a stray herself has dissapeared for the time being. She is panting now. I think she is going to try and deliver them right on the kitchen floor!

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh this is so stressful. I don't know enough about cat labor to feel confident. How long does the first part last? If it's a while maybe thats why she hasn't wanted to nest yet. Can I upload a video here? Maybe if you saw how she is acting someone might know what I can do to help her. I don't know how long she has been like this if it was all day maybe there is something wrong now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can upload a video.

Try to relax. Put her box in the kitchen in case she wants to get in it.

The heavy panting sounds like hard labor. Perhaps she will deliver a kitten soon. She obviously wants you with her. There's not much you can do other than offer comfort.

Worry about moving her later.

Last edited:

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you tell I'm nervous? Got her back in the box. I'm also worried because I watch and watch and watch but haven't seen and kitten movement. It's a dreadful feeling I have. :(

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's a quick delivery or that your kids are old enough to order a pizza!

Here is an article you will find helpful.
[article="29720"]Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats  [/article]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may not stay in the box. And you may not see kitten movement at this point if they have moved down towards the birth canal to be born.

Stage one labor can last 24 hours. It's hard to know where she is in her labor without seeing her. Have you seen any discharge? Can you see her sides ripple when her belly goes hard and soft as in contractions?

At least it's not the middle of the night - yet.

Last edited:

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen any discharge but she has been licking herself. I haven't noticed as contractions but she is panting and breathing very fast. And every now and then she will get up and move around as if she's trying to get comfortable.

lms192327

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember her doing this last time in between pushing. I've called our vet and our neighbor who is very knowledgable about this stuff. The vet was shocked she came in the house. She's concerned about fiv and feline leukemia because she's never had shots and the last litter was stillborn

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right now, from your description, your cat is in stage one labor and everything sounds normal.

Concern about diseases is warranted.

Her kittens were inside her too long last time. Her labor was very unproductive. I'm hoping things are better this time.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am also shocked she came in. She never forgot the help you gave, so once she realized she needed a safe place and fast, she came back. I'm glad you have her in your home now. Keeping her in a separate area is a very good idea, especially away from the dog. Please try to take it easy and not stress too much, she'll pick up on it, I know its much easier said than done but its best if you tried.

Last edited: