help w/ vry preg kitty! MINE AND MY CATS FIRST LITTER!!!

cwhit1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would keep checking everyday. Also I read that if one is not getting as much nursing time, to remove one or two of the other kittens to allow the wee one a chance to eat. I'm no professional but that's what j seen as a suggestion if this kind of issue arrises

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally got the black one to latch on. I think s/he has been a little but this time s/he was going to town! God im so happy cuz s/he would not do the bottle. I just kept moving. It to the nipple aand makin him try. The preservance worked! Hopefully the kit only gets better at it from here on out! It really helps that roxy allows me to do that...she looks at me like keep helping him mama. God im proud of her!!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good that you got the little one to latch on. It's something you will need to watch closely over the next few days to be sure s/he is getting his fill. 

As cwhit mentioned it's okay to move the others away for a little while to give the little one time to get his. As he grows he will start fighting more for his nipple time, but at first they can be a little confused. 

It's excellent advice you provided to tjackson as she prepares and I agree with everything you said except the baby booger sucker. These have way too much suction and can do a lot of damage. If Mom isn't cleaning her babies after just use a clothe and rub them like she would. Rubbing the nose should clear out any fluid that is in there. 

I'm so glad you were there to help and I hope once you have more time you will share that message with other users. Most of the time we aren't needed but when we are it's the difference between live babies and dead ones. Even though you were stressed it sounds like you handled it all beautifully. Just keep doing what you are doing, give Mom her space and weigh them everyday. Move kittens so the runt can nurse as you need to. 

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My prob with movin the kittens was that momma would get right up...she wanted to see what i was doing with them. So now im just watching the babies and making sure the other ones aren't nudging the black guy outta the way. Ill be keeping a close eye on him and helping him out. Ive found his favorite nipples...the bottom ones! She doesn't like being piled up on the kittens at all! She likes being under them! But your right the sucker wouldnt have been good...too big too much suction. Ill leave that out next time :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha that's cute he likes to be snuggled in on the bottom!

Yes now that you have had your litter you have to pay it forward and help others now that you have the experience to do so! The nose sucker is a super common mistake- in theory it sounds like it would be so good to have (it's for babies so of course it's little) but there is a huge difference between pounds and ounces. I made this mistake at the beginning too so don't worry about it. Just advise on what your own personal experience has been, and the things you actually needed and used. Especially because you did have to intervene you can provide a lot of good firsthand knowledge. 

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate having to report this but i need a shoulder to cry on. Sadly our little black baby runt is on her way out. Last night she did ok but today shes completely gone downhill. I rushed her into the vet and shes just not able to hold her head up or even open her mouth for a bottle. I keep trying like the vet said but the vet also said that this could've been this way from the beginning. Sometimes kittens just are born with things that cant be fixed. The baby isnt crying or seeming in pain but god am i said and hurt. Ive never had to deal with such a hard loss. I feel as though i just need a shoulder to cry on. Someone to tell me i tried everything and its life and this happens. Im more then heartbroken. Im just so sad. Any kind words would really help. Thank you everyone

skye brown

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So so sorry to hear this. you have done the best you can. life is unfair sometimes. but sometimes it is best. you will be in my thoughts.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry.  There isn't much consolation in it; but yes these things do happen.  But at least lil baby will have known love and tender care in her life.  
  You've done all you can.

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kno its like losin a child im so sorry my prayers are with you...im here if you need to talk n just remember the sweet lil ones you still have depending on you..

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im so happy i still have 3 happy healthy kittens and mommas doing great. We removed the one we were losing for fearhe was either sick with something the others coukdve caught abd to make it easier on mamma cuz shr was sleeping at thetime. We kept trying to feed her and keep her comfortable and we did and i held her while she passed. Im really sad but happy i have the others and i cant wait to have them grow up and watch theyre progress. My bfs 12 yr old brother named her 'lucky' cuz she was lucky she got to have lived! I loved that one. Thank you all for the condolences. I appreciate it all!!!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this little one has passed on. Your vet is right though. Sometimes kittens are born with some internal defect that we can't see and that there is no way to fix. All you can do is exactly what you did do- gave it your best effort and then let her pass peacefully. It's always hard when these things happen but at least you know she had love and affection for the short time she was here and that she didn't suffer. That in itself is always a gift. 

Know you didn't do anything wrong- you actually did everything right by taking the kitten to the vet just to be sure. So, don't have any regrets or blame yourself. Hopefully the other three continue to thrive as they have been. Take your time to grieve this loss, but remember the others are still counting on you!

RIP Lucky 

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this little one has passed on. Your vet is right though. Sometimes kittens are born with some internal defect that we can't see and that there is no way to fix. All you can do is exactly what you did do- gave it your best effort and then let her pass peacefully. It's always hard when these things happen but at least you know she had love and affection for the short time she was here and that she didn't suffer. That in itself is always a gift. 

Know you didn't do anything wrong- you actually did everything right by taking the kitten to the vet just to be sure. So, don't have any regrets or blame yourself. Hopefully the other three continue to thrive as they have been. Take your time to grieve this loss, but remember the others are still counting on you!

:rbheart:  RIP Lucky :rbheart:
Thank you so much EB24 I have realized i cant blame myself for this and i DID try everything. I am very focused on my lovey last three and they really are flourishing! Im excited that they are finding nipples with ease and are growing well and happily. Thank you for your concern. I was so so hurting earlier. I appreciate it

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my roxy must be upset about the kitten passing because shes now.moving them to.the laundry basket. My question is should o let roxy do this or keep moving them back. I tried to move them back and she just removed them. What do you all think!? Im planning on leaving them tonight but should i move them back in the morning?

skye brown

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did Roxy go into labor that night after she lost her plug, or did it take a while. I think Nova lost hers because she had a brownish mucus come out, but now she is just sleeping. Not really moving, so i am not sure if what i saw was her losing her plug. I am kinda confused.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So my roxy must be upset about the kitten passing because shes now.moving them to.the laundry basket. My question is should o let roxy do this or keep moving them back. I tried to move them back and she just removed them. What do you all think!? Im planning on leaving them tonight but should i move them back in the morning?
It's common for most Queens to do a den move at least once so I'm not surprised that she is doing it now. You can try moving them back in the morning but more likely than not she will just move them again. In a battle of wills against a Queen you will never win, so, your best bet is to make the laundry basket as safe of a nest as possible, or else block it so she can't get to it. 

I'm not a huge fan of laundry baskets as nests because of all the little holes- a kitten can easily get stuck in one. You can minimize this risk by covering the whole thing in a sheet and tucking the excess underneath so she can't just pull it all through. If you don't want her in the basket try and set up a second nest so she has somewhere else to go.

You just have to use your judgement on this on if it's safe or not. 

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Lucky's passing xxx
If you read Ginny's urgent thread you'll see that she moved hers early hours Monday morning, we've just left them there now after trying to move them twice but she put them back, they are contended and thriving well.

Last edited:

tjackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive heard that sometimes the mummy can not bother so much with a baby if theres something wrong from birthmust be there mothers instinct. Or that she just wasnt strong enuf from the start. You did everything you could and everything right from what ive read so be that a comfort to you for doin what you could 4 her. And like kcmama said the other babies and mummy needs you smiling round them. Givr mummy lots of cuddles she will be feelin the loss 2. Thinkin of you keep happy for the babies x

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the same concerns you talked about EB24. Her jumping in and out and squishing them or the kittens heads gettin stuck in a hole. Makes me anxious, and like yoy said, a queen will do as she wishes and i couldn't move them back. I wish time woukd pass quicker so theyd be bigger and therefore more "tough". And resilient. I wish she would just listen to me and realize i know best...

pixiecat1979

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It's definitely not a good feeling when you feel helpless. Praying for you! But atleast you did everything within your power to help the baby. That says alot about you! I know people who honestly couldn't care less when it comes to animals, which is something that I will NEVER understand. This is the #1 reason why my cat will be spayed once she finishes nursing. I don't ever want to have to go through the sadness of losing a newborn kitten, again.