help w/ vry preg kitty! MINE AND MY CATS FIRST LITTER!!!

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys so my cat is a year old and i was obv slow on getting her spayed. My est is that she is in her last week. She has flaky white, what i thoight was dry skin, on her dark pink nipples she been having discharge for a little while. I can feel the babies moving around a lot. Ive had a box ready since the day i could tell she was prego. What can i expect what shoukd i look for and when will this all happen. Shes not a very vocal cat so im scared she wont tell me whats goinh on. Can anyone give me an idea of how long ill be waiting for these kittys and what to expect! Sorry i posted this in someone elses post, i cant figure out how to write my own. Thank you for any help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys so my cat is a year old and i was obv slow on
getting her spayed. My est is that she is in her last week. She has flaky white, what i thoight was dry skin, on her dark pink nipples she been having discharge for a little while. I can feel the babies moving around a lot!!! Ive had a box ready since the day i could tell she was prego, seeing as im SO EXCITED. What can i expect, what shoukd i look for, and when will this all happen. Shes not a very vocal cat so im scared she wont tell me whats goinG on. Can anyone give me an idea of how long ill be waiting for these kittys and what to expect! I know its hard to tell anyone how long but maybe stories of experiences would help!! Im so excited and im having a hard time waiting! Any advicw or tips are so so welcome as well. I know there is a high population on cats and i hate that im adding to it, but i love my anumals more then me abd i absolutely plan to have her fixed asap after the babes are born!!!Thank you for any help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the kittens are spayed/neutered before they go to new homes, too! Don't want their new owners to be slow getting them fixed and adding more to the problem (girls can get pregnant as early as 4 months, they should all be fixed by 6 months at the latest, but it can--and should--be done at 8-10 weeks/2 pounds, before they go to new homes). Hopefully you won't have trouble finding good homes. . .it can be very challenging.

Hmm, do you know when she got out? Cats are pregnant for about 9 weeks, so if you know when she got out you can have a pretty good guess. If you don't know, all you can do is wait. How long have you been able to feel the kittens? Usually you can feel them for the last 2 weeks. Most of the time, cats will give birth with no assistance, and you should just let her do her thing. But do keep the vet's number handy, if she's straining actively for more than half an hour with no results, she'll need professional assistance. Make a nice cozy nest for her in a secluded area, but she may have other ideas.

Get a good digital kitchen/mail scale, one that weighs in grams, and weigh the kittens every day at about the same time. You want them to gain around 10 grams a day on average (a little less one day is OK if they catch up the next day), if they don't you might have to supplement them, or it may mean that kitten is sick and will need vet care.

Make sure the mother is getting a high-quality diet, you may even want to switch her to kitten food for the extra nutrients. She needs as much as she can eat---while nursing she may need 3-4 times as much as normal! She should be getting at least some canned food (even if she doesn't get it normally), as the extra moisture will help her milk production. Stock up on non-clumping litter, as the kittens will go through tons of it :tongue2: . The kittens should stay with their mother and littermates for 10-12 weeks--they learn a lot of cat lessons in those last weeks.

Have fun and post pictures!

Last edited:

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still cant get over the fact that i allowed her to get pregnant. It was complete carelessness. And irresponsible. But i will gladly take responsibility for my actions, get her fixed, the babies fixed and the babies shots. Im just so anxious! I dont want to miss it. I wanna be there for her. I know not to move her or fuss with her but just as moral support. Its gotta be within the next week. I think shes at about 60 days. Maybe more! Ive been told if you can see milk residue dried on the nipples abd you can feel movement its close. My bfs little brother has been sayinh he could feel them all last week. So its the end of the second week of movement! Which supposedly is near the end. Ive had the nest box ready foreber and shes accustomed to it...im just so excited you have no idea. Thank you for your help!

excited4dora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow your post is the EXACT same as my situation. My cat is around 63-67 days. She's also had discharge. There is no leaking milk but yes same here with white flakes. Very anxious

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wish id know when theyd be here! I wanna be present for delivery. And be able to help her through it! Its nerve wracking to have it be her first litter. I dont want any issues and i want her to.be ok. I just need some moral support more then anything! And good advice! Keep me posted on you please? You send me pics ill send you. Whosevers comes forst will let the other know there experiences ok :)

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! I wish you all the luck in the world! For a speedy healthy and fruitful delivery and all healthy kittys!!! I cant manage to post a pic but good luck!!!

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure my kit is about the same..white flakes and movement..hope it wont be long..

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although kit will be spayd after this im so exited and wish i was more educated in her pregnancy so i wouldnt worry because its her first litter..no matter what i will be THERE lotd knows i wont leave her..my prayers for u both..

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is my beautiful girl roxy in her nest box. Gettin ready

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is huge! Very little movement...but still some!! Shes playing on her activity mat so idk if shes as close as i thought. What do you guys think?

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its funny how stressed we all get. She is a baby to me! My biggest fear is she wont tell me its happening and i won't be able to be tgere for her...such a scarey feeling

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl is tha same size the movement has slowd some..i have the same fear i want to be there for her its her first litter shes getting restless im gettin impatient.lol

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here crystal im so impatient. And she is restless. Im feeling she will drop soon shes already started to i believe. It looks low dont you think

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kits tummy has dropped now and she bit my son for messin with her nest..Shes never bit anyone..wonder what this is..

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a mod has moved your post so now it is in it's own thread. 

As a general rule labor usually begins about two weeks after you see/feel the kittens moving. So, if you know when that was that can give you a little bit better of an idea. But, as far as an exact estimate it's just not possible unless you know when she conceived. Unfortunately cats have not read the manual on signs they should exhibit prior to labor and constantly leave us guessing. Some of the more common ones are excessive licking of the genitals, loss of appetite, seeming unsettled and rooting around for a place to give birth, and increased affection towards you. Even though you have her birthing box ready does not necessarily mean she will use it. You can increase the likelihood that she will by making sure it's in a quiet, dark area (and putting a blanket over the top really helps increase the appeal) and by blocking off areas that you don't want her to go. Under the bed or under a dresser are common places Queens want to go because they seem so safe but they really aren't as you can't get to her if she needs help. So, make those areas inaccessible and make her nest super attractive. Also, make sure you have your birthing kit ready. Here is a good link that explains what all you will need: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/80724/all-about-pregnancy-labor-delivery-in-cats

I wish I could tell you more but unfortunately it's just a waiting game at this point. If it's any consolation I have known before each of my fosters went into labor. There was just a subtle shift in their personalities that I knew they were getting close. You know your girl and hopefully she will indicate to you that it's time. Until she does though make sure you check on her every few hours so that you don't miss it!

Wishing you a safe delivery and happy, healthy babies. We love pictures so be sure to let us know how it goes! 

excited4dora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
News to make sure no people or animals mess with the nest... It's like territorial. If it gets disturbed she will go somewhere else. Put the nest someone that is less trafficked. Sounds like a very hormonal kitty ;-) she may be like that with the kittens too. Mine got a little fiesty when I was petting her the other day and she's always a very friendly and loveable cat