Hampton the feral cat returns after 8 months of being gone

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet to give you some appetite stimulant meds for her. My vet has prescribed this for my cats when needed. Also, did the vet give her IV fluids? If she's not peeing she may be dehydrated. If she needs fluids for a few days, your vet can sell you the fluid bag and needle and give you instructions how to give the cat fluids. There's also instructions on Youtube. The IV fluid bag costs about 20 dollars and it's easy to do. It wouldn't hurt to ask your vet about these things. I hope Sadie has a better day today.

I was trying to edit my post from my phone and accidentally flagged myself. Oh well.

Last edited:

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just finished reading all the posts on this thread and my thoughts and prayers are with Sadie. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did use the appetite stimulant earlier in the week and it made her pace for 20 hours.  I went to the vet and got her more food.  She is not very interested in the syringe feedings at all.  My guess is the pain meds are making her sleep, wobbly and upsetting her stomach.  The vet suggested halving the appetite stimulant and seeing what happens.  I did that and within 5 minutes she was back to pacing.  She has paced for an hour now.  I have put her in the cage to help settle her.  She will be getting more pain meds in a few hours so hopefully the downer will balance out the upper??  She has been happy to see him and does seem to be in less pain.  She is not dehydrated as that was checked at the vet yesterday.  I just think if she eats she will start to feel a bit better. 

I scheduled another laser treatment for her on Monday.  At that point I will discuss quality of life with the vet.  So far they think she can get well.  I just don't want her to suffer.  I will do whatever is best. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What was the appetite stimulant? We've always used a simple vitamin B injection to boost appetite and it's never caused a problem.

Good to hear the pain meds are helping her. It's always a bonus when they like their vet too ;) Hope the next dose settles her a bit.

I can totally understand pain stopping her wanting to eat. There's a level I describe as 'sick pain' - I actually feel nauseous and it often hurts to breathe. If Sadie's anywhere near that I'm not surprised she isn't hungry. Also, when pains that bad, pain meds can't get rid of the pain - they only take the edge off.

I'm sorry you're starting the quality of life thought process. It's the worst judgement call anyone ever has to make. :hugs: I just hope, for both your sakes, that it doesn't come to that.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too bad that the appetite stimulant is making her hyper. You just never know how any cat is going to respond to any medication. Yeah, I've never known a cat who enjoyed getting fed with a syringe. 

If the vet thinks she can get well, then it's worth hanging in there for a few more weeks to see if she improves. Cats are such resilient creatures. If she pulls through this and has a wonderful life with you, this will all seem like a foggy dream to her. I know you will do what's best for her.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding her turkey baby food. Gerber is a good brand, please double check to be sure it doesn't contain any garlic or onion powder.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not much change overnight.  I am keeping her crated overnight and she seems content.  She did eat a bit of food overnight on her own.  This morning she was wobbly, but she is holding her tail up much better.  I think the meds are really drugging her up.  I did some syringe feeding on her this morning and she seemed hungry.  I am going to be gone for 5 hours or so today so I crated her again.  She peed in the crate this morning, but still no poo.  Ugh.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least she's settled and calm. Great that she was able to eat even a little by herself. Some pain meds are seriously doping...poor little girl. Better spaced out than in agony though. A side effect of heavy pain meds is often constipation - that may explain the lack of poop. :hugs: for you Ann. You're both in my thoughts.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the constipation continues, ask your vet if you should give her Miralax (he can tell you the dose). I had to give it to my rescue, Mia, for several months before she started to have regular bowel movements. I think her constipation was the result of a life time of malnutrition, anemia, and weeks of pain meds and antibiotics. Or maybe Sadie will just start to poop on her own in a few days as she calms down and feels more at home. It sounds like she's doing much better than a few days ago, I hope she continues to improve

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she hasn't eaten that much, she shouldn't have too much poop, anyway.  But the pain meds are probably slowing down her system as well, so she may need a gentle laxative.  We're all thinking about you both!

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a bit of progress or brightness in Sadie!!!  I gave her just a tiny amount of the appetite stimulant late yesterday afternoon.  After a few hours she wanted to eat and she wanted to eat on her own!!  By evening, it had been over 12 hours since her last dose of pain meds.  She was coming out of a drug induced coma!!  I could see a bit of brightness in her eyes and she was climbing all over me purring up a storm.  Yea!!   I wasn't going to give her any more pain meds, but decided to give 1/2 dose for bed time so she could rest comfortably in the crate.  She did well over night and ate some food. 

This morning she ate a bit, but is still a bit wobbly.  Yet she was so happy to see me.

We go back to the vet at 2.  I am going to ask about miralax.  She needs to poop.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :woohoo: I know it's only baby steps, but I'm so happy she's doing a bit better. I told you the pain meds are really sedating. Great that she's eating under her own steam again too. :D I think you and Sadie just made my day. Keep fighting girl. You can get through this.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news!! Good girl Sadie!! You can do it!!  

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to the vet early.  She still has not pooped and her stomach was making awful sounds.  Vet wanted to see her sooner.  Good news is that poop is coming.  Vet wants to wait until tomorrow for laxative.  I am to give her some laxatone and see if that helps.  Problem is that she is so wiped out now, she won't eat.  She got a B12 injection to help with appetite.  Also did laser treatment.  She goes back Friday or sooner if she doesn't poop. 

I am going to schedule an Animal communication session.  I really would like to know what happened to her. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always found the B12 injections to be mini miracles with Cali's appetite. Hope they work as well for Sadie. :cross: for poop to come soon.

Her story will be interesting. Something dreadful must have happened to her for her to end up in such a sorry state.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Come on, Sadie girl, give us some poop!

Ann, hope the communicator can help your figure out what happened, so you can reassure Sadie it won't happen again!