Hampton the feral cat returns after 8 months of being gone

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't even know where to begin. I just read through this entire thread - completely spellbound! Such elation at the return of your boys!!! I don't know if you remember our Treebie - but we had something very similar happen to him. I had never seen a cat bolt out of a trap upon release like that. We also trapped him late summer (it was late July or early August). And he was gone all winter. I thought we'd never see him again, and hoped and prayed he survived, because 2013/2014 was no picnic of a winter either. Then one day in ... February? March? of last year he turned up. And was there twice a day for each meal ever since. When we moved in November, we brought him with us in the relocation!

So that's just wonderful, wonderful news about your boys coming back! I know it's just Hampton sticking around, but just knowing they're alive helps the heart! :heart2:

And Sadie.... oh this poor, poor baby girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: I KNOW how time consuming and emotionally draining this is. I suspect many of us do, and our hearts and vibes pour out for all of you! :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Clearly this is going to be all about the balance between pain treatment and her quality of life. I am going to throw something very controversial out there: metacam. I know in the U.S. this drug is labeled for one time use only and reviled within the "knowledgeable" cat community.

But in Europe, it is widely used without damaging cat kidneys - because it is used completely differently. It is at a much smaller dose. Perhaps your vet could look into appropriate dosages that may provide pain relief without they kidney damage? As an NSAID, it wouldn't dope her up so much nor cause the constipation that really needs to be avoided because of the injuries to her back. Or perhaps it's possible to alternate between the opiates and the metacam????

And yes, bone broth is very, very, very healing. It is always our starting point recommendation for sick kitties, period.

And YAY for your animal communicator! Sadie - WHAT a good girl for listening! I do so hope the "not pacing" keeps up. I just can't imagine not using an animal communicator at this point, she has helped all of us so much. I use Ellen of enlightenedanimals, but clearly both have a real skill. It is an imperfect art, no doubt. But when it works.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of your insight @LDG Sadie is actually going to start Metacam on Monday.  We are just waiting for the meds to come in.  She will do them for 3 days and then see.  My vet said the same thing about how in Europe cats are on it for awhile and do quite well.  Sadie has had blood work done so we know kidney values are ok.

The bone broth is quite a hit.  She is eating the cooked chicken mixed with broth and today with the bone broth.  I also have some mixed with just her regular cat food.  It's all just trial and error. 

I do remember reading about Treebie.  These feral cats are just something else.  I have no idea how he survived all winter.  Someone must have been caring for him.  When I win the lottery (ha!) and I have extra money to contact the Animal communicator again, I want to ask about Hampton.  For now I have to wait. 

Thanks so much for you post. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: I know so many people in the UK and other European countries - but especially the UK - using metacam successfully for older cats with arthritis, and it just works. Well. I have no idea why the different doses here vs there, but whatever - I am SO glad your vet is on top of this, and I really, really, really hope this works for her - this is just the type of thing it works FOR. This baby girl really deserves this to work!!!!!! :heart2: :rub: :heart2: :rub: :heart2: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

OH OH OH - what about the assisi loop??? http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/ This is what helped L'il Bub! http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/b...e-tells-us-how-assisi-loop-changing-her-life/

It costs several hundred, but maybe start a GoFundMe? I'd chip in! Your vet has to purchase it and resell it to you. There may be some training videos or something.... I only know one person that has used it, but it really helped her cat. :nod:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband and I were away for the weekend to see our son.  I arranged for a vet tech from my vet's office to come and care for Sadie and the other cats.  I needed someone who could syringe feed.  Sadie did very well and is eating much better without any appetite stimulant!  Yet it is still all syringe feeding.  She has no interest or it's just too difficult for her to eat on her own.  She is stronger and swishes her tail like crazy.  Her head is lifting a bit higher too and she wants to play for a bit.  But she is still very wobbly in the rear legs.  Also urine is coming 1-2 daily but still no poo in 5 days. 

The break away was much needed.  Yet now I am back at it.  It is very very hard.  We go back to the vet tomorrow and again Friday. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: It's exhausting and draining to care for a sick animal. I hope and pray things get easier soon - for both of you. Great that she's eating well, but not so good that it's still all syringe feeding. Have you tried feeding by hand as a compromise? That can sometimes work and encourage a cat to eat by themselves again. You are both in my thoughts. :vibes:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It is exhausting, but think of it this way: You're getting her to bond with you and trust you far quicker and much more deeply than if you were trying to win over a healthy, wary stray. I'm sure there is no doubt in Sadie's mind that you love her and have her best interests at heart. When she gets over this you two are going to be best buddies.

Glad to hear she's showing signs of recovery. Hang in there, both of you.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It is exhausting, but think of it this way: You're getting her to bond with you and trust you far quicker and much more deeply than if you were trying to win over a healthy, wary stray. I'm sure there is no doubt in Sadie's mind that you love her and have her best interests at heart. When she gets over this you two are going to be best buddies.

Glad to hear she's showing signs of recovery. Hang in there, both of you.

I couldn't agree more. Sadie knows that she's with someone who loves her and that she's in great hands. I'm so glad to hear that she's progressing. YAY Sadie!! 

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Sadie sends prayers and healing thoughts to your Sadie.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet called this afternoon and Sadie is positive for Toxoplasmosis.  This may be a good thing.  She has so many of the symptoms.  My vet thought this from the start, but said in her 26 years of practice she only had one cat test positive.  We waited and waited to do the test.  The Animal communicator felt it was very strong that Sadie would test positive.  I went ahead and did the test.  It was quite expensive, but I knew I had to do it.  She will be on antibiotics for 21 days.   UGH.  I hope this is her answer.  She has so many of the symptoms.  She starts the meds tonight. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I really hope so too.. Everything crossed for Sadie..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

The vet called this afternoon and Sadie is positive for Toxoplasmosis.  This may be a good thing.  
I agree. You've got a diagnoses now and your vet knows how to treat it, so this is a big step forward for Sadie.

Lots of love and vibes for a speedy recovery.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she has a diagnosis and a treatment plan. Hopefully now she'll be on the road to recovery. Please let us know how she does.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I have everything crossed treatment for toxo goes a long way to helping her feel better!

Did she ever have a bowel movement? How are things on the antibiotic?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor, poor little girl. I agree, though - actually having a diagnosis is great because it tells you how to proceed and answers a lot of questions. Hoping and praying that she responds well to treatment. :vibes: :heart3: :vibes:

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I have everything crossed treatment for toxo goes a long way to helping her feel better!

Did she ever have a bowel movement? How are things on the antibiotic?
Me too.  So far one dose down.  I mixed it with tuna juice and she did fine.  If the liquid gets too hard for her to take, I can try a really small pill.  I also can check to see if the compounding pharmacy will make it in chicken flavor.  I don't understand why these companies make such nasty tasting stuff for cats. 

She did have a bowel movement and they are all very normal.  I also have a probiotic I will start today.  Hoping the antibiotic doesn't give her diarrhea. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: So great bowel movements are happening and that they're normal. Also great that she's being a good girl about her meds. Did the vet say to give antibiotics and probiotics at the same time? I ask because it's always seemed like a waste of money to me - the antibiotics don't discriminate between good and bad bacteria, so they'll kill the probiotics off anyway. I've always got through the antibiotics and taken the probiotics to rebalance things after.

Hang in there, both of you. Hopefully things will continue to improve as Sadie gets stronger. :hugs: and :vibes: to you both.