Got the Tidy cats Breeze and love it!

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess mine just didnt have as much of a problem. They are using it regularly and I have a cattery.

I have found ONE fault - and believe me it is minor! For kittens under 10 weeks old, the poop is not easily scooped. The poop is so small that the scooper doesn't collect it. So, for young kittens, I am using a regular box. I move them to The Breeze when their poops are large enough to not fall through the scooper.

Other than that, WOW, I love these boxes! No more odor and talk about super easy!

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading this thread, I think I might try one of these for my 4 cats. Question though, how often does everyone in multi-cat households change the pads/pellets? Just trying to see how cost effective it would be to switch completely.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kady05

After reading this thread, I think I might try one of these for my 4 cats. Question though, how often does everyone in multi-cat households change the pads/pellets? Just trying to see how cost effective it would be to switch completely.
I have a cattery, so have some multiple cat experience. Sometimes they all choose one or two of the boxes and leave the others clean. I still change the pads once a week, regardless. Sometimes they are soaked and, sometimes, hardly anythiing. Even if they are soaked, they keep all the moisture locked up and I don't smell a thing. So, I think you will be fine with once a week on the pads - no matter how many use the box. I have one box per cat, but I know that I have 3 that use the same one.

On the pellets, it is easier to keep up with. I just change them out when the pellets in the box look too low. On my heaviest use box, that is sometimes 2 weeks, but I have other boxes that go 6 weeks. I try to change all pellets once a month, though, as instructed. You will see when it is low or you will start to smell the poop more. Because some pellets come out each time you scoop, it is easy to get low at about the one month time period, so there aren't many to throw out.

I have not done a true cost comparison. I need to do that, but I am so happy not having to deal with litter anymore, that it will be worth it even if it comes out a little higher.

The only fault I have found is using it with kittens. Their poops sometimes are not large enough for the scoop to collect. Other than that, it sure is nice to have a smell free cattery and home. Plus, scooping has turned into a 10 minute process (with 12 boxes!). No litter on the floor, no buying those huge heavy boxes, and no smell. I couldn't ask for more.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat

I have a cattery, so have some multiple cat experience. Sometimes they all choose one or two of the boxes and leave the others clean. I still change the pads once a week, regardless. Sometimes they are soaked and, sometimes, hardly anythiing. Even if they are soaked, they keep all the moisture locked up and I don't smell a thing. So, I think you will be fine with once a week on the pads - no matter how many use the box. I have one box per cat, but I know that I have 3 that use the same one.

On the pellets, it is easier to keep up with. I just change them out when the pellets in the box look too low. On my heaviest use box, that is sometimes 2 weeks, but I have other boxes that go 6 weeks. I try to change all pellets once a month, though, as instructed. You will see when it is low or you will start to smell the poop more. Because some pellets come out each time you scoop, it is easy to get low at about the one month time period, so there aren't many to throw out.

I have not done a true cost comparison. I need to do that, but I am so happy not having to deal with litter anymore, that it will be worth it even if it comes out a little higher.

The only fault I have found is using it with kittens. Their poops sometimes are not large enough for the scoop to collect. Other than that, it sure is nice to have a smell free cattery and home. Plus, scooping has turned into a 10 minute process (with 12 boxes!). No litter on the floor, no buying those huge heavy boxes, and no smell. I couldn't ask for more.
Well, we just went out and bought one
. I'll set it up tonight and see how it goes. I still live with my parents, 3 of the 4 cats are mine. My mom cannot stand all the litter that gets tracked everywhere, as 2 of our cats are 'flingers' (like to fling their paws all around when they get out of the box). $1 a week for the pads is nothing if it's really that easy. I'm excited to try it out.

Any good places to buy the pads/pellets that are cheaper than Wal-Mart?

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kady05

Well, we just went out and bought one
. I'll set it up tonight and see how it goes. I still live with my parents, 3 of the 4 cats are mine. My mom cannot stand all the litter that gets tracked everywhere, as 2 of our cats are 'flingers' (like to fling their paws all around when they get out of the box). $1 a week for the pads is nothing if it's really that easy. I'm excited to try it out.

Any good places to buy the pads/pellets that are cheaper than Wal-Mart?
I haven't found anywhere cheaper than WalMart yet.

Remember to give your cats time to convert. They can't cover their poop like they did. The first thought you will have will be that there are not enough pellets. There are. The poop will smell for about a minute or two after they go, but then it stops smelling and is dried out by the pellets.

Like I stated in an above post, if they don't take to it by you placing it beside their old box and after a few days removing the old box, try confining them to the bathroom for a day or two. That did the trick on my most stubborn cat with it. Now, I have no problem at all with any of my cats using it.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat

I haven't found anywhere cheaper than WalMart yet.

Remember to give your cats time to convert. They can't cover their poop like they did. The first thought you will have will be that there are not enough pellets. There are. The poop will smell for about a minute or two after they go, but then it stops smelling and is dried out by the pellets.

Like I stated in an above post, if they don't take to it by you placing it beside their old box and after a few days removing the old box, try confining them to the bathroom for a day or two. That did the trick on my most stubborn cat with it. Now, I have no problem at all with any of my cats using it.
I'm hoping it won't be too big of an issue. None of them are finicky with litter. We've used Yesterday's News before because one had a healing neuter incision (they had to go through his belly), and they all would go in there and use that!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I've been considering another litter solution and after reading this thread I decided to try the Breeze. It has only been set up for about 10 minutes, but one of the boys has already gone pee in it!
My boys are traditionally completely not picky with their litter, so hopefully they will take to this easily.

On the price discussion - I compared prices between my local Walmart ($36) and Target ($32). I got lucky because the package at Target also had a Manufacturers coupon for $10 off so I picked up the whole thing for $22! Walmart here did not have the refills but Target charged $4 for the pads and $6 for the pellets - I'm not sure how those prices compare to online or everyone elses' local prices but I thought I would mention it as I hadn't seen Target mentioned.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been a couple days, and none of them have used it yet!
They're trying to prove me wrong about not being picky with their litter.

I've put it next to one of their old boxes, and sprinkled the pellets on top of their old litter as well. I think I'll give it one more night like that, and if they don't use it, I'll put them in a room with just the Breeze and pray they use the thing. I don't know if I can bring myself not to clean their boxes out.. just seems.. gross.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea - still no more hits from my boys after the initial "test pee". Maybe they are trying to prove me wrong for saying they aren't picky too! I really like the whole Breeze idea (and not having to carry heavy cat litter up and down stairs to my apartment all the time!)

Actually Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m wondering if the “transition†will work with my two. I have changed their box and litter type several times with no transition period – just take the old one out and put the new one in its place – and they have always just gone to the new whatever it is right away. They have proven several times that they will continue to use their box no matter how dirty I let it get so with this I wonder if they are confused about what the new thing is, since the old one is still available.

I am going to give it another day or two and then take the old one away and see what happens. I too am feeling ill about the condition of the old box and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I can continue to not clean it.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Yea - still no more hits from my boys after the initial "test pee". Maybe they are trying to prove me wrong for saying they aren't picky too! I really like the whole Breeze idea (and not having to carry heavy cat litter up and down stairs to my apartment all the time!)

Actually Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m wondering if the “transition†will work with my two. I have changed their box and litter type several times with no transition period – just take the old one out and put the new one in its place – and they have always just gone to the new whatever it is right away. They have proven several times that they will continue to use their box no matter how dirty I let it get so with this I wonder if they are confused about what the new thing is, since the old one is still available.

I am going to give it another day or two and then take the old one away and see what happens. I too am feeling ill about the condition of the old box and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I can continue to not clean it.
Yeah. Well, I have 3 litter boxes (4 cats, yes, I know this isn't the recommended amount, but it works fine), so don't want to go buy 2 more Breeze's if they won't use it! I didn't completely clean out their old boxes this morning, but did some of it.. I still live with my parents and they would kill me if I just let everything sit for days.

My cats don't seem to mind dirty boxes as well. Sometimes they'll use 2 of the 3 boxes, and leave the 3rd one barely used. I think mine definitely don't realize this 'thing' is a litter box
. We had to use Yesterday's News before when one cat had an incision, and they all used that box, which is why I was hoping they'd take to the Breeze easily.

So I'll give it one more night. If it doesn't work, I'm going to put 2 cats at a time in the bathroom with just the Breeze. God willing they'll use it.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kady 05 - I think they will use it. If you have several boxes, take them away slowly 1 by 1 and put breeze in the same place and see what happens. I happen to have the "Cat attract" litter left, and I sprinkled that on
top of my breeze pellets after installing. Did you put the pellets on top
of the old litter box litter? I did that for a week before I even purchased
the breeze system, to let her get used to this type of litter and how it
felt to step on. Did you put the breeze next to the old box?
I did not like leaving old box dirty either, I just left it dirty 2-3 days
and cleaned it. Note she was used to at least 2 scoopings per day, so
dirty box for 2 days was drastic. I totally took old box away after 10 days
from start to finish and never looked back. She has no problem using the
breeze at all.
Brenda

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms.Blackie

Kady 05 - I think they will use it. If you have several boxes, take them away slowly 1 by 1 and put breeze in the same place and see what happens. I happen to have the "Cat attract" litter left, and I sprinkled that on
top of my breeze pellets after installing. Did you put the pellets on top
of the old litter box litter? I did that for a week before I even purchased
the breeze system, to let her get used to this type of litter and how it
felt to step on. Did you put the breeze next to the old box?
I did not like leaving old box dirty either, I just left it dirty 2-3 days
and cleaned it. Note she was used to at least 2 scoopings per day, so
dirty box for 2 days was drastic. I totally took old box away after 10 days
from start to finish and never looked back. She has no problem using the
breeze at all.
Brenda
I did put the pellets on top of their old litter last night, and they used both old litter boxes fine that way. I do have the Breeze next to one of their old boxes.
Not cleaning for 2-3 days in my house would be.. disaster.. 4 cats.. no cleaning.. eww.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suggest patience. It took my two cats about a month to transition and it took my mom's cats about three weeks to transition. I wasn't trying for a swift transition, just one that was easy for both me and the cats. Keep cleaning your old box, and keep adding pellets to your old box. Eventually, there will be so many Breeze-type pellets in your old box that your cats really won't be able to tell the difference between box types and will be happily using both. This method isn't cheap (it takes a lot of pellets) but it works and it doesn't require you to leave your old box dirty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

I suggest patience. It took my two cats about a month to transition and it took my mom's cats about three weeks to transition. I wasn't trying for a swift transition, just one that was easy for both me and the cats. Keep cleaning your old box, and keep adding pellets to your old box. Eventually, there will be so many Breeze-type pellets in your old box that your cats really won't be able to tell the difference between box types and will be happily using both. This method isn't cheap (it takes a lot of pellets) but it works and it doesn't require you to leave your old box dirty.
I agree with this. It takes a long time for them to transition and some cats longer then others, it seems. But it's worth it. You just have to be patient and try different methods until you find one that works.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, we have pee!

I think I'm going to go buy another one today, and take away another old box. Like CruiserMaiden's cats, mine have never had an issue when I just swapped their old boxes out for new ones, regardless of shape, or if I changed litter brands.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My boys – Bless them – are amazing. They stuck it out all weekend long using the old nasty box – even climbing over the Breeze to get to it. Not a single accident. It was due for a scooping on Wednesday when I put the Breeze in and I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t cleaned it since so you can imagine…

Today I watched Spooky climb over the Breeze and start to sniff the old box. He looked back at me and gave me this “Merrow†like – “Seriously Woman? Arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t you going to clean this thing or what?†and turned around and walked off without going potty. I decided to give in and change the litter completely and try again with the litter/pellets mix (which was already in there).

As soon as I pulled the old box out and started dumping it, it occurred to me that in the past when I have changed their box/litter type I have always taken some of their “old†waste and put it in the new place to “show†them where to go. I scooped out some old poo and tossed it in the Breeze and kept dumping the rest of the box. Within about 30 seconds (no joke) Spooky was in the Breeze going Poo! Mulder went in as soon as Spooky was done – well done boys!

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My boys – Bless them – are amazing. They stuck it out all weekend long using the old nasty box – even climbing over the Breeze to get to it. Not a single accident. It was due for a scooping on Wednesday when I put the Breeze in and I haven’t cleaned it since so you can imagine…

Today I watched Spooky climb over the Breeze and start to sniff the old box. He looked back at me and gave me this “Merrow” like – “Seriously Woman? Aren’t you going to clean this thing or what?” and turned around and walked off without going potty. I decided to give in and change the litter completely and try again with the litter/pellets mix (which was already in there).

As soon as I pulled the old box out and started dumping it, it occurred to me that in the past when I have changed their box/litter type I have always taken some of their “old” waste and put it in the new place to “show” them where to go. I scooped out some old poo and tossed it in the Breeze and kept dumping the rest of the box. Within about 30 seconds (no joke) Spooky was in the Breeze going Poo! Mulder went in as soon as Spooky was done – well done boys!
Hmm.. maybe I need to try that.

Last night I put my 2 older boys (5 & 2) in one room with just the Breeze, and the 2 younger Ragdolls (both 1 1/2) in another room with just the Breeze.

We had an issue about.. 6 months ago where the Ragdolls were pooping in our bathtub (at least it was there and not on the carpet!), so I was worried they'd do that. Well, they performed
3 piles (we're having some 'pooping issues', so a lot of waste) in the bathtub, but someone DID poop in the Breeze.

The older boys didn't do ANYTHING all night. My dad let them out in the morning and seeing that, he put their old box down and they must've both gone in there because it's already dirty. For the past 2 days, I've had 2 Breeze's and one old box, and they all have been going in the old box, so they obviously don't care about it being dirty.

So, I'm not sure what I'll try next. I'm thinking of leaving the poop that's in the Breeze there, so they can realize it is a litter box. And I'm not cleaning their old box today either. This is frustrating.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After the initial "test pee" my boys completely ignored it up until I tossed that poo in it last night and since then its been like a lightbulb went off - "Oh THAT'S a litterbox! I get it!"

I've been keeping a running journal of their reactions to the system (and what works and doesn't work with them) because I like writing reviews for people who are up in the air about new products. I will probably post it around here somewhere once I have gotten the boys using their system correctly for at least a month.

I think one thing about this system moreso than changing your cat from one "litter" based system to another is that you have to have a cat who is already using their litterbox perfectly before trying to convince them to use something else. But a lot of people who are looking for a new litter solution are doing so because they can't get their cats to use the existing one.

Best of luck to you with the transition kady! (and everyone else who is trying...)

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

After the initial "test pee" my boys completely ignored it up until I tossed that poo in it last night and since then its been like a lightbulb went off - "Oh THAT'S a litterbox! I get it!"

I've been keeping a running journal of their reactions to the system (and what works and doesn't work with them) because I like writing reviews for people who are up in the air about new products. I will probably post it around here somewhere once I have gotten the boys using their system correctly for at least a month.

I think one thing about this system moreso than changing your cat from one "litter" based system to another is that you have to have a cat who is already using their litterbox perfectly before trying to convince them to use something else. But a lot of people who are looking for a new litter solution are doing so because they can't get their cats to use the existing one.

Best of luck to you with the transition kady! (and everyone else who is trying...)
I forgot to mention that the Ragdolls DID pee in the box last night, so that's definitely a good sign. The other cats surprised me, because they've never been stubborn with litter change. Although, there is a huge difference between pellets and litter, so I can see why they're like "Uhh.. no."

So we'll keep trying! I'm not going to clean their old box today, but I am going to put some waste in the Breeze to maybe entice the older kitties to use it. I'm going to leave the poop that the Ragdolls did in the other Breeze as well, which will hopefully get them to understand the whole thing. I'll keep everyone updated.