Going on a vacation?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE PHONE THE  CATS  PROTECTION LEAGUE (CPL) BEFORE SCHOOL ASAP.

Here is a list with the phone numbers and addresses of ALL the CPL centres in Londonhttp://www.cats.org.uk/find-us?pc=LONDON,+LONDON.  Please tell them EVERYTHING you have written on this thread and everything else you have not told us yet.  They WILL HELP you.  You could even email this entire thread to them at [email protected]  and/or phone their head office on 020 7272 6048.  I am of the mind to email this thread to them myself on your behalf.

It is ILLEGAL to bring a cat into the UK from abroad unless it has a Pet Passport or goes into quarantine  for up to 6 months.  A cat travelling from a European Union (EU) country, including France, can and must have a Pet Passport. To qualify for a Pet Passport your cats must be microchipped and vaccinated.  I would have thought they would have to be neutered too if you are not a registered pedigree breeder.  And, you cannot put a cat in a cattery in the UK, whilst you go on holiday, unless they are vaccinated.  I, personally, would not advise you leave your cats alone with just your dad to take care of them for any length of time.

TRAVELLING ABROAD WITH CATS:   http://www.cats.org.uk/cat-care/travel-and-cats

MICROCHIPPING:   http://www.cats.org.uk/cat-care/key-cat-care/microchipping  

VACCINATION OF UK CAT DISEASES:   http://www.cats.org.uk/cat-care/key-cat-care/vaccination

When you have your cats microchipped your name and address is electronically put inside them, so that any vet, anywhere in the UK can scan them to find out to whom they belong, and have them returned if they are found to be lost.  Your neighbours will not be allowed to steal them, and you will be more able to find them if they go missing.  The microchipping procedure is just a small needle injection that your cats will barely notice.  It does not cost much money.

Vaccinating cats who go outdoors is vitally important!!!  You are wilfully allowing your cats to contract and pass on deadly diseases if left unvaccinated.  Stray cats in London will almost certainly carry life-threatening diseases.  There are many stray cats in your neighbourhood by the sound of it.  I am presuming your cats have not been vaccinated going by your vet not having strongly recommended they be neutered, or told you about microchipping or Pet Passports.

From what you have told us, Twix is 99.99% pregnant,  just had kittens, or is in heat.  If she is/was full term pregnant, she will have gone somewhere quiet, like under a bush in your nearby park, in a garage or lock-up, in someone's back yard, or even inside or behind some street bins, to have her litter.  This is because she will be frightened of your dad harming her kittens.  Even pregnant cats who don't have shoes thrown at them will seek out a quiet place, away from people, to have their kittens undisturbed.  She (and her kittens) desperately needs your help.  They will be in immediate danger of being killed by the weather, cars, dogs, foxes, people, other cats, ill-health, disease, etc., etc.  Please PHONE THE CATS PROTECTION LEAGUE as soon as you read this post.  The CPL will also trap, neuter, and rehome as many stray cats in your area as they can for free.  There are thousands of cats and kittens in rescue centres in the UK in need of loving homes

I'll not lecture you here about the importance of neutering and spaying, not only for the sake of Oreo and Twix, but for all the cats in your neighbourhood (Oreo will have fathered literally dozens of kittens by now), and for the sake of your relationship with your family (particularly your dad), your health, and your schooling.  However, please read this page, and show it to your mum, dad, aunt, and cousins to read.  It will help explain the many benefits of neutering. It also has links at the bottom on many cat care questions.

NEUTERING:  http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/cat-care-leaflets-2013/EG06_Neutering.pdf

Under certain circumstances neutering and spaying is free of charge in London.  

FREE NEUTERING and SPAYING:  http://www.cats.org.uk/c4/home.asp?url=c4

I strongly recommend you go to your favourite teacher or school guidance councillor, show them this thread, and explain this situation to them.  They will help.  You are under enormous stress, which will make doing your exams much more difficult.  It is your school's responsibility to enable you to do your exams with the least stress possible.  Your teacher may even talk to your parents and the CPL on your behalf, because this is a serious situation with your health and future career being put at risk.  This is not a joke.  

The RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals) would also help guide you and prosecute any cat cruelty by your neighbours.  It is a criminal offence to be cruel to cats (this includes purposely harming them by throwing shoes).  https://www.rspca.org.uk/home

This is a link to find vets in your neighbourhood in London:  http://www.any-uk-vet.co.uk/county/london.htm

If Twix has very sadly been run over and killed, the Blue Cross is there to turn to for support with cat grief.  You would need the support and understanding of your family and teachers in order to deal with the loss whilst completing your exams:  https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support  phone 0800 096 6606.

You are not alone.  We are all here to help you.

I hope you have a stress-free day at school and knock off early because it's FRIDAY, yay!  Enjoy your weekend, think through the needs of Oreo and Twix as individuals, don't study too hard, and eat lots of chocolate

Last edited:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is simply not true. 7 indoor cats dying before you are 15? That's not normal. Cats lead long and healthy lives completely inside. By letting him outside you are endangering his life, and you're lucky that nothing has happened yet.
I think OP said this was a litter of 7 kittens and the mom died. She thinks it was because they were cold and they could not get warm

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and please ask your dad to check his Gray's Anatomy, regarding neutering and spaying of humans, I think he might just be mistaken......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray's_Anatomy

We don't call permanent elective sterilisation in men and women neutering and spaying we call it:  vasectomy for men and tubal ligation (having the fallopian tubes tied) for women.

We call temporary sterilisation:  contraception; for example, the pill, injection, condoms, coil, cap, sponge, femidom, pulling out, morning after pill, abortion, etc.

Or we call it celibacy (the choosing to not have sex).

The other medical procedures which result in sterilisation (neutering and spaying) are called:  castration (becoming a eunuch by the removal of a man's nutsacks) and hysterectomy (removing a woman's uterus).  

Aside from sterilisation as a result of illness or injury, we choose to neuter and spay ourselves in order to have sex without conceiving children each and every time.  There are numerous reasons for this, including human extinction through overpopulation.   

We also choose to keep cats as pets and owe it to them to be guardians of their contraceptive needs as they cannot carry out the necessary medical procedure or method themselves.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is simply not true. 7 indoor cats dying before you are 15? That's not normal. Cats lead long and healthy lives completely inside. By letting him outside you are endangering his life, and you're lucky that nothing has happened yet.
That is true, why would I be lying?

Oreo is my first cat who is outdoor cat and lived longer than three/four/five months.

You don't know the whole story..

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brian007 Brian007 Okay, I'll do that all.
Thank you for the help.

I'll be getting my cats neutered and spayed once they're both inside, I'll take them to the vet as soon as possible.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is true, why would I be lying?

Oreo is my first cat who is outdoor cat and lived longer than three/four/five months.

You don't know the whole story..
It's not true that cats die if not exposed to the cold or the outdoors. I believe what you are saying about your cats, but you are incorrect about what is normal for cats, and what they need to be happy and healthy.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut When cats were first made, I don't think there was neutering or spaying for them.

I'm glad you're believing me but cats are free animals, there weren't any vets when cats were new in this world, there weren't any vets here when my granddad was born, I'm telling the truth- he was born in 1926.

I try going outside with them and keep them on harness, that worked for Twix but doesn't works for Oreo...

When I try to keep Oreo inside, he bites and scratches my hands and he do it very badly sometimes, he doesn't like staying inside a lot but he goes out for an hour and comes back home for 20 minutes.
I try my best to keep Oreo inside but he's an outdoor cat since he came here, my dad used to force him to go out because my granddad would always tell him "cats are useless, they do nothing good to our world, they should die" so my dad would fight a lot with my mum and I to give away Oreo but then he realised he was wrong.
Now he actually sometimes give my cats food and doesn't force Oreo to go out.

I totally agree with you about neutering and spaying cats and keeping them inside :)

Thank you for believing what I'm saying though :)

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut When cats were first made, I don't think there was neutering or spaying for them.

I'm glad you're believing me but cats are free animals, there weren't any vets when cats were new in this world, there weren't any vets here when my granddad was born, I'm telling the truth- he was born in 1926.

I try going outside with them and keep them on harness, that worked for Twix but doesn't works for Oreo...

When I try to keep Oreo inside, he bites and scratches my hands and he do it very badly sometimes, he doesn't like staying inside a lot but he goes out for an hour and comes back home for 20 minutes.
I try my best to keep Oreo inside but he's an outdoor cat since he came here, my dad used to force him to go out because my granddad would always tell him "cats are useless, they do nothing good to our world, they should die" so my dad would fight a lot with my mum and I to give away Oreo but then he realised he was wrong.
Now he actually sometimes give my cats food and doesn't force Oreo to go out.

I totally agree with you about neutering and spaying cats and keeping them inside :)

Thank you for believing what I'm saying though :)
We are not living in a time when cats first evolved or even became domesticated. They are not wild animals anymore. If we are going to keep them as pets, it is our job to care for them. They don't get total freedom in exchange for being safe and healthy. You've gotten some unfortunate information from your family, as you've mentioned above. We are giving you more current information. Please keep educating yourself and learning. Your cats are your responsibility to keep safe.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA), which treats small animals such as cats and dogs for free was founded in the UK in 1917, which was 9 years before your grandad was born:  http://www.companionanimalpsychology.com/2014/10/the-surprising-history-of-veterinary.html

Domestic cats are not free, the clue is in the word, domesticated.

Cats have been kept as domesticated pets in Europe since at least 7500BC, that we had been sea-trading with continental Europe since then, suggests that cats first came to the UK at that time also : http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...have-kept-animals-as-pets-since-ancient-times

The cats we see today in our households and as strays on the street are not wild animals, WE took that away from them a LONG time ago.  We are responsible for their care. 

We, as human beings, have no more right to life and to be treated with respect than any other living being.  We are not superior to cats, in particular.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OP is now outside with her Mum hunting for Twix again.

Please wish her good luck so she finds her kitty.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck in finding Twix @OreoAndTwix.  Take a bag of Dreamies cat treats to shake whilst you call her name and whistle.  Remember to look in all the wee nooks and crannies that see might have crawled into to make a safe nest for a possible litter of kittens, especially in the park, sheds, alleyways, shop yards, bins, etc.  Print up lost cat posters, with a scanned photo and description about her and when she was last seen, put your contact details on tear off strips on the bottom.  Put these up on trees, lampposts, electrical cable boxes, etc at least up to 15 minutes walk in each direction from your house.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the help, we still can't find her.
I'm thinking she's somewhere with kittens and she's scared of coming out of there.

My mum and I spent 2 hours looking for her, no luck.

I'm starting to lose hope but still I feel like she's gonna come back with kittens.
I seriously don't really care if she's pregnant or will come with kittens, I want her to back safely, that's all I want.

Oreo is sleeping on the bed right now, this is the first time I saw him sleeping, after Twix went out.

My uncle visited us and suddenly asked me if Oreo is sick or not. Oreo is healthy, he's just missing Twix.
My uncle said he'll help me look for Twix.

Everyone suggested me taking home a new kitten until Twix comes back so Oreo doesn't feel lonely (okay, please just don't tell me this is wrong and I'm not a good owner, I'm tired of that. I do miss Twix, but I also want someone to play with Oreo and I.. This house has become boring and empty since Twix is missing.. Please don't tell me I'm wrong, I don't know what else to do anymore).

I'm tired of hearing to get my cats neutered and spayed and keep them inside, seriously, I know that.

Twix isn't lost because she isn't spayed, she is lost because that was gonna happen. It happens only if its gonna happen no matter what.

I'm tired. I tried my best to study and look for Twix at almost the same time, I failed, I'm admitting it that I failed at that. I'm sick now, my head hurts, my stomach hurts, I had fever, I'm having allergies now.

I wasn't perfectly healthy when I was born, I know you all don't need to hear about me but I'm just telling because I want you all to know how hard I'm trying to look for Twix and take care of my cats... I'm not mad, I'm upset, I'm not mean, I'm that person who cries every time they think of their lost cat.

Maybe I should tell one more thing, last year, I was really sick that I passed out, I was in hospital. I almost died, doctors even said I won't live, but somehow I did, I don't know what happened but I do know my family, my mum and even my three year old cousin were crying uncontrollably.
When I was able to come home from hospital, I saw Oreo, he was meowing loudly(crying, you can say).

Please don't tell me I'll lose both of my cats if I don't keep them inside, that's only making my situation worse.

Thank you for the people who are trying to help, I appreciate it.

Just to let you all know, I'll be going to a family picnic tomorrow (now... Don't tell me I don't care for my cats, because I do). I'm only going because I need to feel better and not stress about lost cat.

I'm praying for Twix to come back and that's all I can do now...
I'm sorry if you think I'm not a good cat owner, I'm doing everything I can do.

Again, I'm not being mean, I'm just upset. Please understand that...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the help, we still can't find her.
I'm thinking she's somewhere with kittens and she's scared of coming out of there.

My mum and I spent 2 hours looking for her, no luck.

I'm starting to lose hope but still I feel like she's gonna come back with kittens.
I seriously don't really care if she's pregnant or will come with kittens, I want her to back safely, that's all I want.

Oreo is sleeping on the bed right now, this is the first time I saw him sleeping, after Twix went out.

My uncle visited us and suddenly asked me if Oreo is sick or not. Oreo is healthy, he's just missing Twix.
My uncle said he'll help me look for Twix.

Everyone suggested me taking home a new kitten until Twix comes back so Oreo doesn't feel lonely (okay, please just don't tell me this is wrong and I'm not a good owner, I'm tired of that. I do miss Twix, but I also want someone to play with Oreo and I.. This house has become boring and empty since Twix is missing.. Please don't tell me I'm wrong, I don't know what else to do anymore).

I'm tired of hearing to get my cats neutered and spayed and keep them inside, seriously, I know that.

Twix isn't lost because she isn't spayed, she is lost because that was gonna happen. It happens only if its gonna happen no matter what.

I'm tired. I tried my best to study and look for Twix at almost the same time, I failed, I'm admitting it that I failed at that. I'm sick now, my head hurts, my stomach hurts, I had fever, I'm having allergies now.

I wasn't perfectly healthy when I was born, I know you all don't need to hear about me but I'm just telling because I want you all to know how hard I'm trying to look for Twix and take care of my cats... I'm not mad, I'm upset, I'm not mean, I'm that person who cries every time they think of their lost cat.

Maybe I should tell one more thing, last year, I was really sick that I passed out, I was in hospital. I almost died, doctors even said I won't live, but somehow I did, I don't know what happened but I do know my family, my mum and even my three year old cousin were crying uncontrollably.
When I was able to come home from hospital, I saw Oreo, he was meowing loudly(crying, you can say).

Please don't tell me I'll lose both of my cats if I don't keep them inside, that's only making my situation worse.

Thank you for the people who are trying to help, I appreciate it.

Just to let you all know, I'll be going to a family picnic tomorrow (now... Don't tell me I don't care for my cats, because I do). I'm only going because I need to feel better and not stress about lost cat.

I'm praying for Twix to come back and that's all I can do now...
I'm sorry if you think I'm not a good cat owner, I'm doing everything I can do.

Again, I'm not being mean, I'm just upset. Please understand that...
I'm sorry you are so stressed. I certainly understand that you miss your cat and only want her back.

Please don't think this is a thing that just does happen. I am saying this to empower you. You can make a huge difference for your cats! Running off because they are in heat or pregnant or looking for a mate is something that you can absolutely prevent in the future! I do believe that is why Twix is gone now, and you can fix it when she comes back.

Please don't get another kitten right now.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Your health really concerns me.  I really do urge you to talk to your favourite teacher about all this.

A family picnic sounds like the perfect plan to take your mind off all your stresses.  No one will begrudge you a few happy hours spent with your family in the life-affirming outdoors.  You'll feel so much better in yourself and more able to cope afterwards.

I'll make a wee wish for the sun to shine on your picnic.  It's April Fool's Day tomorrow, which is a lovely day, full of good-humoured pranks.

I'll also put in an extra hard wish that Twix pops up from under a bush right next to your picnic blanket in the park.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you are so upset.  We can plainly see that you care for Twix and Oreo.  No question there.  People here are trying to help you to help your cats.  Many of our members have worked in cat rescue for many many years. They are speaking from places of great experience and CARE.  They have seen things they would not repeat.  We are trying to help you avoid this kind of painful situation in the future.  I'm sure all of us could say that there are things we did not know or question regarding our past cats that we now regret.  Declawing for example was the norm when I was a kid.  I didn't question it.  I know better. I'm educated on the subject.  Cat care varies by culture.  It's not unusual to have a member come here that cannot access a vet as easily as a person in say the US or UK can.  The internet is a great place for us to help cats all over the world!  This is an opportunity for you to learn how to be the best cat owner you can be. 

I'm afraid there is not much further advice we can give except to be patient and keep going out to look from time to time as others have already suggested.  Do try to relax because cats can sense stress and hide because they think there is a reason to fear.  So go enjoy your family.  Focus on your studies and then take a walk to look for her as a break.  If she has delivered kittens; she may not leave them much while they are so tiny.  Getting a new cat would be hasty and it will not lessen your worries over Twix.  It will also leave you with another pet in need of spaying.  TCS is a pro spay and neuter community.  It is something our members are very passionate about because it SAVES lives.  It's at the core of who we are as a community and you will see that right in our Mission Statement

Last edited:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are so upset.  We can plainly see that you care for Twix and Oreo.  No question there.  People here are trying to help you to help your cats.  Many of our members have worked in cat rescue for many many years. They are speaking from places of great experience and CARE.  They have seen things they would not repeat.  We are trying to help you avoid this kind of painful situation in the future.  I'm sure all of us could say that there are things we did not know or question regarding our past cats that we now regret.  Declawing for example was the norm when I was a kid.  I didn't question it.  I know better. I'm educated on the subject.  Cat care varies by culture.  It's not unusual to have a member come here that cannot access a vet as easily as a person in say the US or UK can.  The internet is a great place for us to help cats all over the world!  This is an opportunity for you to learn how to be the best cat owner you can be. :)

I'm afraid there is not much further advice we can give except to be patient and keep going out to look from time to time as others have already suggested.  Do try to relax because cats can sense stress and hide because they think there is a reason to fear.  So go enjoy your family.  Focus on your studies and then take a walk to look for her as a break.  If she has delivered kittens; she may not leave them much while they are so tiny.  Getting a new cat would be hasty and it will not lessen your worries over Twix.  It will also leave you with another pet in need of spaying.  TCS is a pro spay and neuter community.  It is something our members are very passionate about because it SAVES lives.  It's at the core of who we are as a community and you will see that right in our Mission Statement:)  
You're right but.. Oreo needs someone to play with and this house has became completely boring without Twix. I don't even remember what I did before I got her. I don't even get up from my bed anymore unless my mum says we're going to find Twix.

I was thinking of getting a kitten, Oreo needs someone to play with, I need someone to spend time with a cat. Oreo isn't very much of an indoor cat.
Anyway, if I do find Twix or Twix comes back, I would give the kitten to my cousin, she really want a kitten.
I'll make sure kitten would be spayed and all.

Thank you for the help :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right but.. Oreo needs someone to play with and this house has became completely boring without Twix. I don't even remember what I did before I got her. I don't even get up from my bed anymore unless my mum says we're going to find Twix.

I was thinking of getting a kitten, Oreo needs someone to play with, I need someone to spend time with a cat. Oreo isn't very much of an indoor cat.
Anyway, if I do find Twix or Twix comes back, I would give the kitten to my cousin, she really want a kitten.
I'll make sure kitten would be spayed and all.

Thank you for the help :)
Listen. Oreo is an intact male cat. He will want to spend more time with you once he is neutered. He may also be too rough for a kitten. You need to play with him. Use lasers and wand toys. He needs companionship from you.

Replacing your cat with a kitten is not a kind thing to do to the kitten.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your health really concerns me.  I really do urge you to talk to your favourite teacher about all this.

A family picnic sounds like the perfect plan to take your mind off all your stresses.  No one will begrudge you a few happy hours spent with your family in the life-affirming outdoors.  You'll feel so much better in yourself and more able to cope afterwards.

I'll make a wee wish for the sun to shine on your picnic.  It's April Fool's Day tomorrow, which is a lovely day, full of good-humoured pranks.

I'll also put in an extra hard wish that Twix pops up from under a bush right next to your picnic blanket in the park.  

:beerpals:
Thank you, I'll try to be happy with my family.

I hope Twix comes back safely, what making me worried is, I heard her meows (couldn't figure out where they're coming from though) but I can't see her anywhere, I just want to see her cute little face again :(

Last edited:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Listen. Oreo is an intact male cat. He will want to spend more time with you once he is neutered. He may also be too rough for a kitten. You need to play with him. Use lasers and wand toys. He needs companionship from you.

Replacing your cat with a kitten is not a kind thing to do to the kitten.
No, no. I was thinking of bringing home a kitten then seeing if the kitten and Oreo will get along or not.. If Twix comes back or I find her, I'll give the kitten to my cousin, she really wants a kitten and she already told me she would get the kitten spayed.

Tomorrow I'll be going on a picnic with my family just to fresh my mind and not worry too much.
They're doing everything they can to make me smile...

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, no. I was thinking of bringing home a kitten then seeing if the kitten and Oreo will get along or not.. 
This is really not how cats work.  Cats need to be introduced to each other for a period of time.  Many people come here because they got a new cat and they do not get along.  If Oreo is an outdoor cat; he likely already has "friends."  Since he is intact; he likely does not have many because he is in competition for reproduction. This is nature and a scientific fact.  Cats also bond with people and create their territories in our homes.  Passing them off because one returned is not in the cat's best interest. They require sometimes 20 years of commitment and placing their needs above our own.  Ask the many shelter workers who visit our site how cats react when they are dumped at shelters for selfish reasons. 

I really think; if you are committed to being a mature and responsible pet owner, your next step is to research.  Educate yourself on cat care, cat behavior, cat grooming, cat nutrition, etc. This means delaying gratification for yourself for a time in order to put the cat's needs ahead of your own.  I understand this is difficult and likely not what you want to hear.  But in the long run; you will all be happier.  There are many articles on this site that you can begin with to learn about these topics.  

So far we have given you advice based on many years of combined experience and you have essentially rejected or dismissed it.  You are only fifteen, so I'm certainly not blaming you for the situation you are in, but the members here are telling you the truth.   Please sit down and have a serious conversation with your parents about this. We really are trying to save you from future heartbreak. 
 If you don't want to listen, we really can't help you