Get Ready....

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just started to storm. Thunder and lightning. A ferocious wind and sheets of rain. Nice when I'm all tucked in in my bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
New York is forecasted for about a foot of snow, starting tonight into tomorrow. Thankfully this storm is supposed to stay north of PA. We might have a trace of maybe a half-inch of snow; we are having main rain with this storm. It will turn over to freezing rain tonight, but then a wee bit of snow tomorrow before the storm leaves.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're sending that nasty wind and cold temps east now, and of course once again we don't get enough rain to wet the ground! Supposed to be in the 50's today with wind here in SW Nebraska, calmer and 60's tomorrow. We've got a nice stretch of weather coming 50's and 60's........ spring?  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rain and more rain. Thunder and more thunder. Wind and more wind but not that cold.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That wind tore through here about an hour or so ago when that front started coming through. I was a little nervous about it because it was really tearing through the trees up at the back end of the lot. Our high today was in the mid-50's. Tomorrow our high is to be 19. Not funny. The wind is still whipping around outside, but it's not as bad as it was. It's going to be darn cold by tonight and they're warning about freezing rain in a couple of hours.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BLAH and double blah! What a drive home. 

Current conditions, and we're only halfway done.

View media item 207638
That's my broken down silver car in the parking lot behind the tree. l'll have to dig it out tomorrow after the parking lot gets plowed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really really hate the sound of this wind!  It's eerie and it might as well be roaring sometimes!  The house is vibrating from it some too.  It's loud!  I just looked and the last reported wind gust was 39mph.  We are under a wind advisory tonight so it's not unexpected; it's just intense sounding right now.  I'm SOOO SOOO glad this is not snow but there is just something about it that is unsettling when it blows like this.  We've been through a category 2 hurricane here and that was no fun either; but it doesn't make this storm any more fun to listen to I guess.  Everyone else in the house is asleep (including both cats) like nothing is going on. 
  Noodles is in the little hut of the cat tree and Mooch is in a ball on some laundry that fell from the basket in the chair next to the tree. 

DH put the garbage cans in the garage last night and took down my bird feeder.  The rest of our outdoor things are usually ok and they are tucked pretty close to the house.  The wind is coming around that side but most of it is plastic toy type things anyway.  I'm glad my garden isn't weathering this one! 

I think I may have to go put a movie on or put my ipod on with the headphones to drown it out!  It's making it hard to concentrate!

Really; I am glad we missed the freezing part of this one.  We had rain during the day and then a heavy line came through but no thunder at least.  I suppose we could have a bit of icing if the wind hasn't dried the roads out.  Our high today was 72!  It was gorgeous!  I think tomorrow it's around 30.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's 17 here now.  Monday and Tuesday were in the 60's.  It snowed for a few minutes this afternoon but that was it.  It's supposed to be 60 again on Friday.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbors tree lost a pretty big branch and it is awfully close to the driveway.  I had to take dog out and just her quick pee was enough to make me about run back in for a blanket. 

At least all the snow is finally gone between the warm weather we had and then the rain/

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Andrya, that snow would make me cry at this point.

The wind was nasty during the night, but not as bad as when the front first came through. I awakened a few times with it, but just snuggled down in the covers with the kids and we were fine. I always have the tv in the bedroom on all night when Rick's gone....at a very low sound. That way I don't hear much in the way of house creaking. And that way, the bedroom isn't completely dark. The kids can sleep through anything, so I figure if they're fine, then I should be fine, too.

No snow here. Nice and breezy though. It's 18 degrees here this morning.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lost a few limbs nothing major though!  We lose power easily so was worried.  When it goes it is only half of 2 streets that are all on the one peice of land so we are low priority to get hooked up again.  Houses across street are on the main strip and if they lose power that mean a few good hundred or so are out.

It is SO bright out. Looks like it should be a bit warm after the nearly 70 temp yesterday.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're still at 26mph winds; gusting to 38.  I just ran out in the backyard because the lid had been blown off the kid's sandbox.  I didn't want the toys inside to go anywhere or for the lid to go either.  It's been out all winter without a problem so I'm not sure if it just wasn't put back properly the last time or if the wind really got to it this time.  We have some small branches down; but that's normal.  One of my garbage cans is at the road on it's side; but still on the property so I'm not running to get it yet.  I just saw the recycling truck down the side street so I'm waiting for them to get to us first.  It's COLD!  I should have put some socks and real shoes on instead of my crocs.

When I was fixing the sandbox I found DD's winter hat next to the swing set.  It's been out there a few days (apparently none of us noticed it when we were outside yesterday?) and it sat there through that good downpour last night.  It's now frozen solid!  I showed DD when I came in; she's very concerned she wont be able to wear it again.  Good thing she has a spare.
  I need to run to the store for some meds today.  I'm not looking forward to blowing in and out of there.  Another reason to be very thankful for our garage!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lost a few limbs nothing major though!  We lose power easily so was worried.  When it goes it is only half of 2 streets that are all on the one peice of land so we are low priority to get hooked up again.  Houses across street are on the main strip and if they lose power that mean a few good hundred or so are out.
It is SO bright out. Looks like it should be a bit warm after the nearly 70 temp yesterday.
Don't you have the lamps you plug in and when the electricity goes they light up?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rain has been pretty incessant yesterday and today. At one point it was so heavy that whisky had a mad few moments. He raced around the house growling and then jumped onto his climbing tree and scratched his claws ferociously and then settled.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I finally complain about this winter????? :cold: :cold: :(:( And, I am one who loves the winter weather and snow. NOT ANYMORE!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! We got slammed again with another 9 inches of very, very, very heavy wet snow. It started out as rain, then freezing rain, then an ice storm with lightening/thunder, then the snow. The roads were completely iced over Wednesday morning with about two inches. All of the stop lights in town were covered with snow and ice and could not be read or seen. Traffic was a mess and there were quite a few accidents. All of the hemlock tree branches on our property were weighted WAY down with snow to the ground. I hope they recover!! Our power went on and off all day long. It was crazy! I hope this is the last of the snow and this awful winter weather..... BUT.... I fear not. :lol3: :slant:

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lt's windy and frigid. lt's minus 17 (with Wind Chill minus 24), going up to minus 10 (minus 17) - ooh, l can hardly wait!!

Pfffftt, enough already. lt's going into the minus 20s overnight. Hard to believe it's almost Spring.