Get Ready....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice. (The pollen forecast.)  Yesterday my 4 year old was the most miserable I've ever seen her with seasonal allergies!  We spent about 4 hours or more outside every day since Tuesday last week.  The weather has been gorgeous!  But wow my poor baby!  Super super runny nose, eyes watering so much she looked like she was crying sometimes and some kind of rash on her face!!  She kept saying her face hurt.  I think the runny nose wiping just exacerbated whatever caused the skin rash.  I'm hoping its not the sunscreen (she was fine with it the past 2 years; but reacted to another kind before that).  It doesn't help she had a sunburn on her nose and cheeks from the weekend before; so her nose is finishing peeling a little from that (which led to my hyper-diligence with the sunscreen this week). 

DD is tired of all the extra baths too.  But I just can't let her go to bed with all that dirt and pollen on her!
  Maybe we'll get a spring rain to calm this pollen down a bit.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I use a Neti pot every night this time of year to get the dust and pollen out of my sinuses.  Could you use a saline nasal wash on your daughter?  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Neti is absolutely the way to go.  I teach it to all my students (in fact I've just come back from picking up a new supply of pots :-)

I have a sheet that describes what it's good for, how to do it, etc, if anyone wants a very in-depth view of the practice.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if she would let me?  She's just 4 and still flips out on me when I wash her hair.

My husband uses the neti pot a lot in the summer especially.  He comes home filthy every day so he likes to get some of the junk out that way too.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Neti is absolutely the way to go.  I teach it to all my students (in fact I've just come back from picking up a new supply of pots :-)

I have a sheet that describes what it's good for, how to do it, etc, if anyone wants a very in-depth view of the practice.
I'm interested!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I'm interested!
Notes sent

I don't know if she would let me?  She's just 4 and still flips out on me when I wash her hair.

My husband uses the neti pot a lot in the summer especially.  He comes home filthy every day so he likes to get some of the junk out that way too.
You're right, Mooch... it would be an unenviable task to teach a four year old to neti unless they really wanted to!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New allergy sufferer here!!! :nothappy: Since moving to NW Indiana, this is Spring #2 where I am downright miserable with that sinus headache adding in eye pain this year. I never had allergies before moving here.

SO Saturday was EIGHTY DEGREES and SUNNY!!!!! Felt like summertime here. Now, today it is in the upper 30's and possible snow tonight. CRAZY! NUTS !!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guess what!?  It's snowing.
  I got up for a minute and peeked out the bathroom window and noticed the ground looked reflective.  Yep.  Snow.  I think it wasn't supposed to get this cold before the rain stopped.  So at the very last minute they are saying we could get up to an inch of snow.  Most of the regular working world here went to bed before they decided to change the forecast. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It snowed here last night.  It wasn't much though, just enough to coat the ground and cars.  It was in the thirties after getting up to 81 on Sunday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It snowed here (central PA) last night, too, but didn't stick here. We did get some ice during the night and the car door were frozen this morning. It's about 25 degrees here now; I got my winter coat back out. The wind hasn't stopped either and I'm really getting tired of all the gusts; I can't even say "breeziness" because it's so much more than just breezy. . 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New allergy sufferer here!!!
Since moving to NW Indiana, this is Spring #2 where I am downright miserable with that sinus headache adding in eye pain this year. I never had allergies before moving here.

SO Saturday was EIGHTY DEGREES and SUNNY!!!!! Felt like summertime here. Now, today it is in the upper 30's and possible snow tonight. CRAZY! NUTS !!!!
The past few years have been STUPID as far as pollen here.  I should take a picture of my truck.  Seriously, it's embarrassing.  But I refuse to wash that beast until this pollen mess is over.  I'll get a pic after my run.  Anyway, my allergies have been worse since moving here to the coast and I thought maybe it was something here on the coast...until I thought about the pollen count.  It's worse where I used to live too.  Global warming?  I don't know.

I shouldn't complain about the weather, but last night at 10 pm when I went to bed it was 76 F.  This morning at 8 am it's 43 F.  No, I realize that's a joke to people dealing with snow and I agree.  But a 30 degree jump is a 30 degree jump.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
No wonder I can't breathe!
Oh boy, that looks familiar.  When the pine and acacia trees go off here, there can CLOUDS of green and yellow pollen floating through the air--and then covering everything.  I feel for you.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah nice.  DH just washed my car the weekend before last.  So basically we removed all the salt and grime from winter to replace it with the spring pollen.  At least I usually park in the garage; or it would be much much worse!  We both used to have black cars.  There was no missing the pollen baths! lol

DH wasn't expecting to get up and have to de-ice his car this morning.  He said the door was frozen good!  By the time the kids and I headed out for their Easter pictures a little after noon) it was mostly gone.  Tonight is supposed to be cold too.  The kids are back in winter jammies.  Me too.