First time pregnant cat... What should i expect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet opens at 9am, its a 2 min drive. Its currently 5.40am in UK. Xx

catnissmamandod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just hold on . keep him wrapped up and alert try not to move around him or his intestines. try to put something warm maybe near him it will help w. pain i really hope he will make it. im here if you need anything 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If kitten is willing, give more formula. You can put him back with mom, but it may be hard to get him out again. But if he would nurse her, that would be great. Use your judgement. He just needs warmth (heat source, not just blanket), and more milk. You're doing great!

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hes wrapped up and on a hot water bottle. He has taken 1.5ml of kmr and ive tied off his intestine to stop any bleed. Just have to hope for the best now. Xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, Nurse meggymoo meggymoo , you've done stellar! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

He's a fighter! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Alright. No sleep for you right now, but it's for a good cause. And Meg will have a 3rd kitten at some point. All is temporarily well!

Last edited:

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im used to no sleep with 2 kids but this is intense. I will insist he tries. Xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping the intestines from drying out is an important note!

How are mom and other kitten?

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do i stop them drying out? Cooled boiled water? Other kitten and mum doing amazing. Nursing well and no sign of number 3 yet. First kitten has been named stampy (my son is minecraft obsessed) ive explained everything to him and he is sad but understands. Xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think cooled boiled water is probably best. Possibly even a damp cloth left over the exposed organs. As long as he stays warm with the water bottle it shouldn't chill him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awww. Not sure on the drying out part. Maybe wrap the exposed intestines in a cloth dampened in lukewarm boiled water?

He's so precious! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

The condition he has is a birth defect. It's called gastroschisis. In small kittens like this the prognosis is not good, though some have been saved through surgery. It depends if they can survive surgery, do not get infection, and have no other issues that arise. Kittens have had successful surgery for this, but it's iffy. He cannot live with his intestines outside though.

It's worth a shot, though many vets are not willing to perform surgery on one so tiny. In human babies with this condition, surgery is now often performed while the baby is still in utero.

The fact he's been eating tells me he's a fighter. Just thought I'd pass on a bit more information.

Last edited:

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i have a gauze pad. Will do that now. Wondering about using cling film to keep in place? Will also keep heat in. Hes trying to move around. I just hope the vet sees the positive we see. Xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless his little heart! Has he had more to eat yet?

Last edited:

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for everyones help. Couldnt of done this without you all especially Sarthur2 Sarthur2 time is going so slowly waiting for vet to open. Rang emergency line and they said get him in first appt at 9am, they need to see him to make a decision. Xx

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes hes taken another 0.5ml. Xx

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have put him back with meg for an hour as he is well fed and warm. I think taking him away stopped her labour and she still has at least one kitten inside. Im worried for that kitten as its been 4 1/2 hours since labour stopped. She is happier now he is back with her so hoping she delivers before i have to go vets. If not, i will take all 3 to the vets together and see what they say. Xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's totally normal for there to be a delay in labor. I would really advise that you not take Meg and the other baby the vet. It's a lot of stress and a lot of germs if they don't need to go.