First time pregnant cat... What should i expect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mittens has almost doubled his birth weight already! And were only on day 4! I have a feeling he will be a big cat though, his paws are so out of proportion to the rest of him! Big paws and little legs [emoji]128514[/emoji]

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new litter! I am so sorry about the loss of the first born. I saw the first picture and I knew right away that he had prolapsed intestines. I had this happen in a litter of Chihuahua puppies. Just one didn't make it :( it's very sad, but these things just do happen. It's unfortunate, but I'm sure he's comfortable now. You did the best you could, that's the most important part. Keeping them comfortable and warm is the best thing for them. You even went the extra mile and had him seen by a vet, which is amazing too!

I'm so glad the other 2 are doing well also. Bless you and your little fur balls! They'll be a blast to watch grow. My 2 rescue cats are also pregnant also. Kittens are expected at the end of March. Fingers crossed!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It very much sounds like he will be a big cat. The paw size is a good indicator. Funny, I have a Mitten too, and he has huge paws, and did when he was tiny as well! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

These little beauties are 5 days old already! Theyre growing so fast its unreal. Mittens has lost his umbilical cord and weight gaining like a champ! Rosie is close behind, and im guessing will be small and petite like her mummy. Their personalities are already coming through too. Mittens is chilled and laid back, he would happily sleep all day as long as hes beig fed! Rosie is adventurous and highly strung. She has found her feet quicker and is the first to complain when Meg leaves the nest. Cant explain just how in love i am with both them and meg! I find myself just sitting and watching them for hours in the evenings!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, the joys of kittens! It is fascinating to watch them! They are truly in good hands with you. It's also so easy to get attached! I know - I kept all 4 of my kittens! Will you be keeping both of them? [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be keepig one and the other will be going 2 doors down to a couple in their 50s who lost their cat to old age last year. Dont ask how i will decide!! I want to keep both but with 2 boys i cant keep 3 cats realistically. Xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds like a great plan! Maybe they can have play dates! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep thats the plan :) only when theyve both been done though. Not rehoming until 12 weeks at least xx

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 5 weights.. Rosie 176g (+15g) Mittens 196g (+12g) mittens has slowed down but has smashed the double weight gain by day 5 :) having to really feed meg up at the moment. She was very underweight when she came to me pregnant, and we got her weight up well but she is losing it through feeding. Shes having 2 wet pouches a day, along with a large handful of biscuits, and a bowl of KMR every morning. She is eating little and often so im not too worried but is there anything that i can give to help gain a little quicker? I feel like she is losing as quick as she is gaining. The wet food and biscuits are kitten ones. Xx

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just weighed meg. She weighs 3.3kg. I dont know whats normal for her age etc. She is roughly 18 months xx

catergic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's probably a naturally small cat - mine was 3.2kg when she went in for her spay, and the vet said she still had a bit of baby weight! This nearly 11 weeks after she'd had them. Having said that, two pouches and a handful of dried doesn't sound a lot - but there are only two? Maybe a bit of tuna (in springwater), tidbits from roast chicken (mine particularly love the "greasy" bits and the aspic that forms when the bird's cooled), and HAM! which I think is top fave. One thing I used todo when Bonnie was nursing (and when the kittens were weaning) was to very lightly microwave a small chicken fillet with a tiny bit of water and a dot of olive oil. I found the littlest girl sitting in middle of a little picnic plate stuffing her face with mama's chicken before she was 5 weeks old.

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has dry food available 24/7. If its low i top it up through the day but she goes through a large handful roughly a day. X

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever know a kitten to 'change colour' as they grow? Mittens has been jet black since birth (8days ago) but he has started going grey over the last couple of days epecially his legs, paws and face, with black tabby markings on his head and back legs/hips. Its amazing to see, but ive never known a kitten to change colour as such. I presumed he would just stay jet black. Xx

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meg is slowly gaining weight too. Ive upped her pouches to 3 a day, and half a tin of tuna at lunch time. Some days she eats it all, some days she just picks at it. But she is getting there :) xx

meggymoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advice please... The kittens are now 3 weeks old, eyes open and moving around more but Ive notice Rosie is alot weaker on one front leg, when she steps on it she shakes all over and quickly puts other paw forwards. Mittens doesnt do it so im presuming its a problem with the leg. I cant see anything unusual about it, no injury, same length, fur fine etc. Anyone experienced this before? Wondering if its worth a trip to the vet to check it out, baring in mind they havent had any vaccs yet is the infection risk still high for a 3 week old? Shes otherwise healthy, eating well and gaining weight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would wait for now, since they are only 3 weeks old. However, if the leg or paw appears to get worse, I would see the vet right away.