Elsa's babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so remember a few days ago, I mentioned another pregnant rescue that I was half joking about fostering?
She's been playing on my mind and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I could do it.

I have Elsa and family in my ensuite bathroom. The babies were 4 weeks old on Wednesday.

The bathroom seems the ideal place for a mama to have kittens but it's also great for Elsa's family now as they get bigger and have room to explore etc.

I have a crate that's reasonably sized but not huge. But would be bigger than the crate at the rescue centre.

Would it be feasible to put this in a corner of my bedroom and keep the new mama locked into it? I know she wouldn't have as much space as Elsa did but she'd have more space than in the rescue centre and more human contact.

We don't know when the mama is due. Could be another few weeks.

Help me out here....anyone got any suggestions? [emoji]128513[/emoji]

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There you go!

Make sure that toilet lid is never open & that there's no weeny holes they can burrow into.

Last edited:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That lid is always closed ... I'm fussy like that regardless of kittens lol.

They can get under the sink unit... it's up on legs but they've loads of room, they won't get stuck.

I keep the shower doors closed so they can't get in there and that's really all that's in there.

We have to be really careful opening the door. Elsa keeps lying where it opens!!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats are real quick & sneaky like that. And God forbid one of the babies follows her.

Can't wait for photos of Silky. You deserve the prize you got!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good idea to take the new pregnant cat in, but can you not close her up in the crate? Can she have access to your room?

Also, can you try to find/borrow a larger crate for when the kittens come?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good idea to take the new pregnant cat in, but can you not close her up in the crate? Can she have access to your room?

Also, can you try to find/borrow a larger crate for when the kittens come?
I'd prefer her not to have access to the room initially till she's had the babies as there's a lot of "stuff" in my room and she could decide to have them somewhere inaccessible.

I'm working on a big spring clean so will try free up more space and make the room more cat / kitten friendly. My main priority was to get her out of the cattery which is not great for a pregnant girl.

Silky is quite young, thought to be about 10 months old. She's very friendly and loves attention from the cattery staff.

They told me her bum looked a bit swollen today....does that suggest kittens are coming soon?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I start up a new thread for Silky when she arrives? Would it get too confusing to post here?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I start up a new thread for Silky when she arrives? Would it get too confusing to post here?
Maybe a new thread would be best since this one is named for Elsa.

I do think you are correct that Silky is much better off with you than at the shelter. I know that my local shelter is always anxious to get the pregnant mommas out of the shelter & into foster care. For one thing, it frees up the space for another pregnant mom. Silky is gorgeous. No clue re her bum.

Last edited:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's true. They also aren't manned the whole time, only a couple of hours here and there when the volunteers come in so it can be stressful /lonely for a mama giving birth. And if something goes wrong, there might not be any one there to help.

They are also surrounded by other cats so that must be stressful too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's hard to say about her bum. We'll know more once you get her tomorrow. She will surely be happier with you!

Since you are fostering, you can continue to use this same thread. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true. They also aren't manned the whole time, only a couple of hours here and there when the volunteers come in so it can be stressful /lonely for a mama giving birth. And if something goes wrong, there might not be any one there to help.

They are also surrounded by other cats so that must be stressful too.
Most definitely.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's here! Meet Silky!

Poor girl is only a baby. Her tummy looks huge relative to the rest of her.

She's moulting like crazy! I guess she's not able to reach to groom properly as her back legs and tail are quite dirty. I'll clean her up a bit later if I can when she's more relaxed.

She's very very friendly, none of the moods we had with Elsa lol. But she's a bit grumpy with me now because I wouldn't let her hide under my bed. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, she's beautiful! She looks pretty far along too. [emoji]128571[/emoji]

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw she's beautiful xxx thank you so much for finding room to take her in XXX hope all goes well xxx yes her belly is huge compared to the rest of her xxx I love the little black markings on her head!! Xxx

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, she's beautiful! She looks pretty far along too. [emoji]128571[/emoji]
I hope she doesn't have long to wait. Her belly feels quite tight, like those babies are just crammed in there!

I love the little black markings on her head!! Xxx
She's got a couple of black patches on her left side too but from the right looks mostly white.

I love her eyes, they are so intense. [emoji]128525[/emoji]

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to say, Elsa wandered out of the bathroom and went over to the crate to say hello. There was no aggression from either (Elsa is treating her very differently to how she treats my own neutered cat Fern...she must know Silky is pregnant / not a threat?)

Now when she comes out of the bathroom she stays to the side of the room nearest the bathroom, away from Silky's crate.

Silky is very relaxed and doesn't seem at all bothered by Elsa's presence but obviously if that changes over time, I'll keep them apart more strictly.