Elsa's babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with @ashade1, I would wait a couple more weeks to introduce them to other people. And I would suggest that others sit on the floor and let the kittens crawl on them and sniff them at that time. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I was in the rescue centre yesterday picking up more food for Elsa and there's another pregnant mama looking for a foster home and I'm thinking "where could I put that one" [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji] but I think my hubby would probably divorce me lol.

I definitely won't hesitate to foster another when this family have left us though. [emoji]128525[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The struggle is real ... [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there an article or link someone could help me find regarding the week by week development so for example when do they need a litter tray? When do they start food? And so on.

I noticed one kitten is trying to lap mama's water!

Last edited:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I knew there had to be a link but I couldn't find it. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tidied their crate and rearranged the "furniture" to make room for a litter tray. I think we might need to try the soft food soon....they are staring at mama eating!!! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Elsa has a covered tray....should I take the top off so the babies can see what she's doing? They have a smaller open tray in the crate. Elsa is very messy!! [emoji]128514[/emoji] even with a covered tray. Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the kittens will catch on easily when you put them in and take a little paw and show them how to dig.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Irishmammy, I think you'll find everything happens organically. I worried to pieces about all of this, which was a waste of time. One day my kittens would only eat from mom. The next day they started eating wet food. Then eventually they started using the litter box. They just figured out the schedule by themselves. BTW, they loved the letterbox. They felt very mature & grown up.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried a plate of "food" for the kittens...more liquid than anything. Some kitten milk and some kitten dry food (same as Elsa eats) dissolved in warm water so it was like runny gravy.

They had no interest but Elsa said "thanks very much" and demolished it. [emoji]128514[/emoji] I figured at least they are seeing mama lap so it's not a wasted opportunity.

There's a lot more exploring going on outside the crate. Poor Elsa looks like a stressed mother looking for her kids in the playground that have gone in 4 different directions.

Lilly saying "hi"

Watching mom eat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how cute! The kittens will be eating soon enough. Try again in a week's time.

Yep, moms get stressed when the kittens begin to explore. The pictures are adorable. [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Last edited:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens have now moved out of the crate altogether and are either exploring the bathroom or sleeping with Elsa.

Elsa hadn't been sleeping with them much the last few weeks - choosing to feed in the crate and sleep outside, leaving the kittens alone.

I'm wondering if I should take the crate out now and let them have more space in there?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like you can take the crate out so they have more room. Put a blanket down somewhere that the kittens can nestle on, or do they have a rug?

Glad all is well! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have lovely soft bedding in the crate that they are not using and there's a blanket outside the crate that was for Elsa and sometimes they squeeze onto that and most of the time they snuggle up with Elsa on the floor!

Is this the start of cats never sleeping in the bed you give them?! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

I think I'll go ahead and take out the crate.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg this guy is just stunning. Look at those baby blues!

Look how fluffy Timmy is....could he be long haired? The two boys are fluffy like this.

This pic is not kittens lol but my daughter Libby and me. We were delighted to be given an award by the SPCA we foster for in recognition of our fostering and support we give them. This just happened this evening and we are so blown away. Imagine getting an award for doing something you LOVE!! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! You and your daughter adorable too!

And yes, I think you could have some long or medium haired babies in there.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! Congratulations! Well-deserved! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

The kittens are stunning!

Last edited:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! You and your daughter adorable too!

And yes, I think you could have some long or medium haired babies in there.
I think Elsa is medium haired...i never knew there was such a thing but on her back she looks short haired but her tummy is sooo fluffy with thick furry hair, very different to my short haired cats.