Elsa's babies

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great about Silky! You will have pregnant moms everywhere as I do! I have 4 mommas right now! One momma lost all of her babies though, one is still pregnant and now I am supposed to get another today! I am hoping she isn't too far along and we can spay her... just way too many kittens. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my. There has to be a quicker way to find my posts?? Seems like I had to go all over the place.

Anyway, I've been waiting patiently to post the latest about Elsa's family.

Timmy and Tulip have been offered homes!

All the kittens are really playing now...running, jumping, climbing!

They figured out how to get into my bathroom cabinet...underneath and up the back.

They are eating wet food and starting to use the litter tray. It's like everything happened at once.
20170411_113131.jpg
20170412_012240.jpg
20170412_012329.jpg

20170411_113131.jpg

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silky looks like she's about to burst! The kittens are so lovely! It is funny how everything happens at once.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know, the poor girl!! I hope she has them soon because if she gets much bigger it means either they will be whoppers when born, OR there will be a lot of them... neither scenario too appealing for such a young girl.

Really thought something was going to happen last night as I arrived home at 12.45am after a babysitting job and by the time I'd checked on everyone, changed the litter trays, had some cuddles etc it was probably about 2.30am and as I was about to go asleep I felt Silky staring at me.

She kept on staring and it was a bit unnerving so I thought maybe she was unsettled, so I sat up watching her. Till 3.30am. I think we were just having a staring match!!! Nothing happening at all.

Don't know who's crazier, her or me!!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
irishmammy, what is the attitude generally to stray cats in Ireland? (I'm sorry I don't know if you're in Ireland or Northern Ireland.) Do people care about them or look away?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People in my experience do care. I know a neighbour ended up being adopted by a cat not so long ago...she had no intention of getting a cat but then this little black guy turned up and refused to leave! They took him to the rescue centre to hand him in (And he got neutered straight away) but he'd won a place in their hearts and they went back to get him!

Generally someone will take pity on them and either hand them in to the rescue or keep them themselves.

The rescue I foster for also has a TNR programme so they work on feral colonies. Some of the kittens I've fostered have been from a colony near where I live. They have been the most affectionate adorable kittens I've ever met.

They homed 396 cats and kittens last year.

I'm based in Co Wexford which is in the south east of Ireland.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They homed 396 cats and kittens last year.
I was amazed that the nearest shelter to us (which is on the other side of the Connecticut River) homed 500 cats in a single year. Astonishing.

Going off-topic, just read that Taiwan has banned the consumption of cats & dogs. First Asian country to do this.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw that earlier on Facebook too. So glad they've banned it and hope the other countries follow suit.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The waiting is driving me nuts! Silky's nipples are already quite large but I noticed this evening her boobs are very swollen. They were swollen already but seem more so now.

No other signs that birth is approaching. But then Elsa hid every sign and first I knew was a baby was crying!

I kinda hope Silky doesn't have them tomorrow.... I've a few appointments with my (human) kids during the day, so I won't be there much.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kinda hope Silky doesn't have them tomorrow.... I've a few appointments with my (human) kids during the day, so I won't be there much.
For sure now she will! Just kidding - even if you're not there, she'll be fine I'm sure. Can't wait for photos.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elsa was so funny earlier and I didn't have my phone with me to get a photo! The kittens have been playing a lot in the cupboard beneath the sink and can get to it from underneath when the door is closed.

This evening Elsa sat at the closed door and miaowed her head off till I opened it. (No kittens were inside at the time.)

So then she climbed in and sat there smugly grooming herself, delighted with her new space!!

Tulip followed her and Elsa started grooming her and accidentally knocked her out of the cupboard! It's low to the ground so tulip was fine. She got back in again, or tried to, battling against her mother's tongue, pushing her back.

I just thought Elsa's attitude when she got what she wanted was so funny.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
They all look so great! How old are they now? I also feel like I clicked on a hundred things to find my threads...

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elsa's babies were 5 weeks yesterday. Time is flying by!

Silky managed not to go into labour while I was out. Lol. Still hanging in there. She's so swollen - you can even feel the breasts at the front protruding when you stroke her chest.

She's pooped twice today which is more often than normal. Could be nothing though!

Here she is laying in my lap, resting her arms in my hand. Her tummy was just hanging over the space so no pressure on it. I'm sure it felt great!
20170413_153800.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silky had first baby 10 min ago but hasn't delivered placenta. Baby still attached. Help.

She's licking it but contractions may have stopped.