Do your cats wear collars?

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do. Mine where Lupine collars (which I'd totally recommend) with break away clasps in case they ever get caught on anything. It was a bit difficult to convince Phineas and Henry to wear theirs at first (and Phineas still loves to pull his off from time to time) but after a few days they were used to them.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats have always worn collars with ID tags. And in this country it is essential as no-one would even think of trying to look for a micro-chip - most people don't even know such a thing exists (mine are chipped to for their EU passports). They also need collars to carry their magnetic door 'keys' to let them in the catflap.

milomini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats wear their's all the time... Milo has a baby blue collar with her name, and Mini has a light pink one with her name... But when they take a bath I take them off... Mini's snapped a couple of days ago, so I'm buying her a new one... They both have a little bell on them so I know when they're around... OMG! I miss them now
... (I'm not at home at the moment)... I'm so madly in love with them

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine wear collars, but really only because Isabelle is a stealthy little cat and likes to run under your feet. The collars have bells on them- so there are no suprises. I also like to know where they are in the apartment and the bells jingle when they move.

amirando

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when my husband brought our two cats home, the girl, Sheeba already had a collar. we decided to get one for the boy, Piku after he streaked past my husband and out the door that evening. he was really funny when we first put it on him because he couldn't figure out where the noise from the bell was coming from so every time he moved he scared himself. he got used to it after about 10 or 15 minutes though. plus the collars made it easier for us to know where they were the first few weeks we had them so we didn't lock them in a closet or the bathroom or something.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't wear collars but they are chipped. They are inside cats and I really don't see a reason for it. If they went outside sometimes, then I would want them to wear a collar also (breakaway only).

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dax has a auto-release collar, with our adress and phone, that clips on and off - the clip releases when there is any real pressure on it. I trained her to tolerate a normal collar inside first so she wouldnt just slip it off when she was out. I tend to take it off in the evenings for *neck scratching time*.
Ours has a bell because I dont know how the neighbors would like her bringing birds and stuff into the hall.. She is a pretty bad hunter anyway - mostly bugs!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I bought a collar for Oscar tonight and so far it hasn't bothered him at all. Wouldn't let Daddy put it on at first but now he could care less.

abra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
right now alex doesnt. when we first got her she was furless around her neck because of her collar, it's taken 2 years to start growing back. she's a good girl, stays around the house. When she goes outside, if I can catch her I will slip a collar with my address on it, but other than that she is a pretty free girl.

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I have to take them out they where a collar and leash. I would never leave with out it. I live right in the middle in town so I need to keep them close. My cats are indoor cats but sometimes for a treat I will take them out for some air. Chuck loves it. He knows the sound of the collar and comes running when he hears is bells. He gets on his back legs pushing his head into me to get the collar on. Its like I can't move fast enought.
I swear if you see how this cat sits and acts you would think he was a dog.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats never used to wear collars, cos i take on oldies and didnt think it was fair to try and put one on at their time of life. My second cat came from a shelter and had a collar, so when she lost it it was replaced (although i had to take the bell off cos it drove her mad). sometime last year i was debating getting flea collars for mine, as i was having issues with them since getting a new cat, so got some cheap ones to try them with, seeing as i had a 13 and 14 year old, i wasnt sure of the reaction. They took to them no problem, i took the bell of Snowy's collar without thinking, but then thought i would try Ginger with it to see how he went on, and he didnt mind. Seeing as he is a 12lb cat that can sneak in and out of houses, i thought him having a bell would be a good idea!! Pebbles has one even though she doesnt leave the house and i left the bell on her, so i always know when she is coming down, and i can normally hear Ginger approach the house. I did put one on Blackie but then when it became apparent she wasnt even going to try and leave the bathroom unless the house was in darkness and i was in bed i didnt see the point. This past two weeks i have had to get tags for the collars as Ginger has been found in stranger's houses!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What brand of collars to you get for your cats & why. Do you think that they are safe for you kitty to wear. Where do you buy them & what info. to you put on their ID Tags. Thanks

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scroll down to the last line of products on this page and you will see the collar that I buy for my beasts. It is stretchy. It has a safety catch. It has a reflector strip on it. It's adjustable from kitten to monster adult. As far as I know this is the only collar that combines ALL those features. That's the reason I choose this one. Safe? I think so. I have been buying these for seven or eight years, maybe longer. We've had lost collars -- several of them -- but never a kitty harmed by one. I keep a spare for each cat, with tag on it. When cat comes home with bare neck, she just gets taken into the bathroom to get a new collar, and at the first opportunity I pick up a new one for next time.

I can get it in several pet supply places locally, so I haven't had occasion to order on line, but I keep that link, just in case.

As for tags, I have the cat's name and phone number on one side, and my surname and address on the other.

Good luck.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback Fran...I will check out the link. With all of the earthquakes we have been having in So. CA, it's time that my kitties wore collars with ID, just to be safe.
Lei

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my old cat, B.C. I spent months looking for a spiked leather collar for him.
I thought it would be cute to have my 'tough guy' wear spikes.

Turns out it probably saved his life.

He slipped out of the house without anyone knowing, and came back kinda ruffled looking.

24 hours later he bgan acting funny.
Turns out he was attacked by the neighborhood's resident racoon and he had an abscessed puncture wound in the top of his head.
You could see all the teeth and claw marks in his collar.
His vet said she was likely trying to break his neck, and said that the spikes is probably all that prevented her from doing it.

She was around a 40 pound sow with cubs.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arlyn...thanks for sharing that amazing story about B.C.'s collar.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though my cats have never worn collars before & are indoor only kitties, I decided that they needed to wear ID tags, in case they got outside & lost.

Two days ago, I put a "royal blue" safety collar on Dexter and a "bright pink" one on Sadie...both have a matching bell. Today, I added a small ID tag, with their name & our telephone number to their collars.

Collar day 1....they FREAKED OUT!

They rolled, scratched, ran, and if looks could kill, I would not been posting this message...I would be dead.

Finally, they adjusted to their collars & have calmed down. They look really cute.
:

This is one more step toward protecting my sweet furkids.

I will post pictures of them in their new collars in "fur pictures only" soon.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They really are quite funny when they first get collars!
I'm glad to hear that they decided fairly quickly that the end of the world had not arrived.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Even though my cats have never worn collars before & are indoor only kitties, I decided that they needed to wear ID tags, in case they got outside & lost.

Two days ago, I put a "royal blue" safety collar on Dexter and a "bright pink" one on Sadie...both have a matching bell. Today, I added a small ID tag, with their name & our telephone number to their collars.

Collar day 1....they FREAKED OUT!

They rolled, scratched, ran, and if looks could kill, I would not been posting this message...I would be dead.

Finally, they adjusted to their collars & have calmed down. They look really cute.
:

This is one more step toward protecting my sweet furkids.

I will post pictures of them in their new collars in "fur pictures only" soon.
Can't wait to see pics!