Do your cats wear collars?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two will be chipped, probably at the same time they're neutered. Being semi-long hair Maine Coons I won't be putting collars on them, although I may change my mind later.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flea collars are toxic to cats!!!
You should use Advantage if you are worried about fleas!!

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no. they look unatural with them on. They both have microchips though.

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Always always. If they get out, I want to make sure it's obvious that they are someone's pet, and that they've been vaccinated for rabies. I need to get tags with my phone number on them, but the rabies tags have the vet's phone number, and a tag number that the vet can use to get my phone number. Those tag numbers work well, I found a dog with a rabies tag, and I called the vet on the tag and the dog's owner called me in less than 10 minutes. And didn't thank me for getting her scared dog (it was thundering) off the street.

Amber

thisbecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thisbe and Sinatra are both micro chipped and indoor only cats so they don't wear collars. When I first got Thisbe she was both indoor and outdoor so I tried to get her to wear a collar. I got the kind with the safety release clasp so that she couldn't hang herself on it, but they never lasted for long. About a week after I would put it on her she came back without it. No big deal I figured she got caught up on something and broke apart and she lost it. I went out and got her a new one and a few days later it was missing again. After five new collars I went looking and sure enough I found all five collars. They were hanging on a tree or whatever she could find to hang herself off of till it would release (I found this out after watching her do it). Luckily at the time I lived in a very close nit neighborhood and everyone knew her

smcbuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty hates collars. Also, I'm a bit afraid she could accidentally strangle herself. You know... jump down, run there, climb up etc.

sulaco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although Mitchell is an indoor/outdoor cat I've only tried a collar once and he wasn't crazy about it. It was the break-away kind and he got it off once or twice in the day and half period I tried to get him to wear it, plus I spelled his name wrong on the tag.

Awhile back I read about a guy that had made a GPS device that was very small and fit well on a cat collar, so he could track his own cat when it wandered around outside, I believe this story was from the UK so I don't know if this is available here or there, but if I could find something like it I would definitely think about getting it, and making Mitch wear a collar weather he liked it or not!

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have seven cats and I loooooooove putting jingle collars on them because it drives everyone else in the house mad lol. I only put collars on the ones who don't mind them and only every once in a while.

tessag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my kitties wear collars with their name and my phone number on it.  Both cats are also microchipped, but I think collars are important if they every got away - they let people know that the kitty is cared for and has a home and a mom looking for her.  Both my cats have a little jingle bell on their collar too because they're just too darn stealthy otherwise!  I like to have an idea of where the cats are....

jmeeko10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first cat Jasper that I got him when he was 6 weeks old .. yeah too young to ready new home lol .. anyway when he was about 7 months old I did put collar on him and he just freaking out and caught stuck in his mouth :( .. I did put 2 fingers to make sure nothing to choke his neck but he just freaking out and stuck in his mouth so I had to unplug :( then later few weeks later so I try it again nope! not work same freaking out and stuck in mouth argh so I unplug again then later about one year later still the same so I gave it up and without collar lol now sadly my first cat is passed away due infection bladder :( too young to passed away .. he was only 4 yrs old :(

My mom got me new kitten when he was 9 weeks old .. I did try put collar and nope!!!! stuck in his mouth and I was thought get bleed while stuck in his mouth so I just freaked out and trying unplug and he keep starch me and wont let me to calm him down till finally unplug and NEVER again put collar back on not want stuck in his mouth again! :( .. my cat Meeko's sister wear collar yeah I dunno why my Meeko not lol .. my Meeko's sister peach is live with my sister not me .. I only have one cat Meeko :)  Right now he is 2 yrs old :) 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
people might disagree with me on this one

every time i use a breakaway cat collar there off the cat with in a hr so i don't see a point in them for id tag carrying but i do see a point if they get there neck caught 

i use small breed dog collars those don't brake away as fast i do get cheap dog collar so if you do put pressure on it if they get caught in something the plastic clip will brake or the collar it self will brake there been times im at the vets im holding there dog collar the cat jumbs off the table the collar is still in my hand broke but the cat is one the floor so i feel safe with the dog ones i get i get the ones made for chihuahuas etc and for real cheap

my cats did ware collars but the threading on it got shredded i need to get more