Do your cats wear collars?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna have to. Billy and Mirah are both british red spotted shorthairs, and I don't wanna have to check to see genders just to tell who's who, and CJ and Annie are both Odd Eyed White American Shorthairs, and I don't wanna have to call kitty kitty just to see who comes to me. (Annie's deaf) So, when the kits get older, they are all getting new collars... perhaps ones that have my name and number engraved in them... with no metal things that they can get caught on like CJ did. That's why I took them off to begin with.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

I'm gonna have to. Billy and Mirah are both british red spotted shorthairs, and I don't wanna have to check to see genders just to tell who's who, and CJ and Annie are both Odd Eyed White American Shorthairs, and I don't wanna have to call kitty kitty just to see who comes to me. (Annie's deaf) So, when the kits get older, they are all getting new collars... perhaps ones that have my name and number engraved in them... with no metal things that they can get caught on like CJ did. That's why I took them off to begin with.
Aren't Billy & Mirah, Cj's kittens?

How can they be British shorthairs? if the parents are American shorthairs?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More Collar questions. Dexter & Sadie are wearing safety collars now. How tight/loose should they be?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Aren't Billy & Mirah, Cj's kittens?

How can they be British shorthairs? if the parents are American shorthairs?
No, Mirah and Annie are CJ and Billy's kids.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely my cats wear collars. They are both indoors only, but should they accidentally manage to get out in the middle of the US's 3rd largest city...yeah, it would be sort of a problem if they had no ID. I don't like the little breakaway collars because they tend to fall off about every 3 seconds. Instead, I use the ones with a normal buckled that are elastic, so they're still safe and can get out of them in an emergency, but I feel that they are more secure.

They are also both microchipped.

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lucas came with a collar from the shelter, and he kept scratching himself, so I thought he had fleas. On the visit to the vet 3 days later, she lifted his collar and his skin was bright red underneath, and his fur much shorter than everywhere else (and he's a shorthair cat!) She told me not to put a collar on him, unless we're out of the apartment. Since he's an indoor cat, I'm not too worry about it, but I did microchipped him, just to be on the safe side...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

More Collar questions. Dexter & Sadie are wearing safety collars now. How tight/loose should they be?
Don't remember my source now, but the guideline that I go by is that you should be able to get three fingers under it without difficulty. Seems to work fine. Under normal circumstances, the collar is secure, but not constricting, however, if it snags and needs to pull off, it will. Case in point: Rob found Cindy's collar, that she lost several months ago, on a tree branch, this morning, still done up. Of course, the benefit of the safety collar is that if the situation is such that it can't pull off over the cat's head, it still can pull undone, and release the cat that way. We've found them that way, too, and never had an injured cat.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Fran. I have been using two fingers but I was concerned that their collars might be to tight. I will add another finger.

Lei

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reilly never wears a collar. He's strictly an indoor cat...(to many wild animals to carry him away up here)...the next cat I do get though, I plan on training them as a kitten to wear a collar and a harness.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver always wears a collar with a bell and ID tag with his name, mine, my number and a note that he is FIV+ and should be kept away from other cats if found, but that he can't harm humans... he's also currently sporting a PennState bandanna... I swear he's more of a dog than a cat cuz he doesnt mind either the collar or the bandanna!

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cleo and Alex both wear collars even though they are strictly indoor cats. I'm too paranoid about them escaping to let them go without collars, even though we are very careful about not letting them out. I keep an I.D. tag and rabies tag on each cat. That way if they do escape, there will be no cause to test them for rabies if they are attacked by an animal, etc. I recently found out that if a bat gets into your house and you call animal control to retrieve it, they will test your animal for rabies if you can't prove that they've been vaccinated. This happened to a family member. Just in case I lose the papers, the tags are on the cats. I use break-away collars, which I tested before use. My cats have had collars on since they were kittens. They adjusted to the collars very quickly.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunni always wore a collar with a bell. She was just easier to find in the house with it on! Sophie will get one soon. I'm looking at Beastie Bands, if I can find them before we go to NY next week. I want her with a collar and a tag before we leave.

my kitty's cute

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lollypop never wears a collar. She should, though. She's an indoor cat but once in a while she accidentally gets out and it's hard to get her back in until she wants to come back in.

4newkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Landon has a colar on all the time he has a tag that is on microfilm with all of his info in it If Landon is without his collar he is very moody so we figure he feels impotant with his it on. Kendall freaks out if you put a collar on her so no she doesnt wear one

luvmymanx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

Those microchips are great, but I have heard from my vet that many shelters do not have the equipment to check for them and vet hospitals simply forget b/c they are not widely used. They are also numbering conflicts. The number you pet has in one state may be the same as different pet in another state. That sytem needs to be regualted nation wide rather by state.
Actually there is no excuse for shelters not to have scanners.. I know the chip I get- Avid- provides the scanners free of charge to any shelter that requests one. All the shelters around here have them and most vets do too.
Also having worked at two shelters here , if a pet comes in with a chip.. it is considered "owned" and is treated as such immediately.. meaning it's own cage, and will not be put down. The shelters call a 24 hour hotline and you, your vet and your alternate is contacted through the info on the chip that is loaded in a database . You can enroll up to 8 pets for a one time payment of $40 in their global recovery network called -PETtrac

It is well worth the money to get it done for your pet... I dont know how many people I've had to deal with that were gone on vacation and their pet
got out and because they didnt have a chip.. the pet was put down. They were gone longer than the number of days the shelter will hold
pets. Vacations and during bathing when collars are off are the most common times pets end up in shelters. Everyone thinks their pet won't run off but its the ones that are kept in the house that are more likely to as being outside is frightening and they run and hide and get lost much quicker.
You dont want to know how many times I heard " but my pet is an inside pet, how could this have happened" I really think indoor pets are more at risk
since they aren't 'street smart.'
Please chip your pets if you have it available.. its only @ $25 for the chip.
I get all my foster dogs chipped so if they ever end up in the pound.. they come back to me. I only recently started fostering cats so I may do it with them also...

Nancy

sadiesally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, my tabby wears a Snap Off collar with a bell. The Snap off is a great product as it will disengage with any type of severe tug or tangle. I have gone thru 3 now and she in only 2. My big calico gets very stressed when we put one on her, so I had her micro chipped. They both go outside, but the Calico seldom leaves the deck. My tabby a different story, she is a true hunter and loves to prey. So I suppose it is just a matter of letting your cat tell you what she/he likes. It's pretty amazing when you have 2 completely different cats what there body language can tell you.

crazycatnipper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my kitties wear a collar with a bell and my name, addy and telephone number on it. I also have them chipped, so if they by chance do get lost and end up at the SPCA, they can be returned to me immediately--even if their collar has come off.

Chipping is not very expensive here, and very, very popular. I think it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a local Harley Davidson store and got him a Harley collar, just to go with his name
No problems so far!!