Do your cats wear collars?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No my cats don't wear collars. I have one inside/outside cat but he never goes past the driveway, and since my cats are show cats they leave big ugly marks on the cats fur.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My furbabies are indoor only & don't wear collars. I have been think about having them microchipped so that if they ever got out...they might be returned. I would love more info. about the safety of microchips. They seem so large.

qtkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of my cats had collars on even in the house. They all had "safe" collars where they have stretchy parts around the neck so they can get out of them if they get hung up on something. All of them have their name and our phone number.

So incase there is an incident fire something weird happens or they just get out someone will know they are ours and how to return them. EXPECIALLY so if they get caught by Animal Control that they will not store them with the other kitties and they will call us to pick them up.

I heard enough horror stories from the Humane Society about the local shelter where we were to know. They put a tame stray( or an owned stray which ever .. basically any stray that has an ear that is nipped they are not supposed to take in ) in with wild ferral cats and the cat was there over night because when the lady from the HUmane Society called asking about if he was there they would not let her know and then said that he had to be kept there because they were closing. By the next morning when she went and picked him up he had bloody feet and scratches all over him, because of other cats attacking him and from him trying to cling to the gate so they would not hurt him. She ended up with him as a guest in her spare bedroom for over a month to heal his paws.

Since we moved however the number is not the same, but they still have their collars on. Delilah lost hers in the move and yesterday Shadows Finally went kerput. After a while when they scratch or rub against things the elastic peice gives out. So i have to get them new ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your responces, everyone!
I'm reading everything, and its great!
Anyone else?

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of Jessie's 17 years she did not wear a collar. She did however get to put on her pink harness once in awhile and get to play in the grass but I was pretty nervous having her outside even though I was right there. When I got punkin, I decided to get her a collar with her name imprinted on it and a special tag with an emergency #. http://www.pettags.com/products/inde...Token=73450833
I haven't received the collar yet and sadly, she will not wear it since she crossed rainbow bridge Wednesday.
From now on though, I am going to keep collars on the new cats I get because I just don't want to chance anything happening.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine all wear collars, with ID tags. They are an elastic fabric, with a reflector strip, and a breakaway catch. We had a bit of a battle getting Fawn to accept hers, but now she's fine. In fact, she proves the safety of the collar quite regularly by losing it outside. When she comes home, she comes straight to me and shows me her bare neck and we go into the bathroom to put on the replacement that I always have on hand -- and she doesn't object a bit. Often the "lost" collar turns up in a few days.

The Tenth Life Reflective Collar that they wear is available here. Scroll down the page a bit -- it's on the seventh row, in the middle.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not anymore. CJ and Billy used to, but Billy never kept his on, and CJ.... well, she used to until one night I found her struggling, because her collar had gotten stuck on our bathroom rug. I knew she was there for at least 1 1/2 hours, but, who really knows how long. Luckily, she was okay. I won't put another collar on her, except for vet visits, or traveling.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i voted other purely because i am not yet decided.

when Maverick ran away i was chided by rescue organsations and relatives for not having a collar on her even though shes micro chipped.

maybe when shes been neutered and the kitten weaned i'll put collars on them because it will be impossible for me to keep them indoor only cats due to my parents not believing in it.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have collars with bells on my cats because if the bell is off the "Tripping over the cat rate" soars from about 10% to 50% ^_^ Besides, they have their rabies tags on there, and also a little bone shaped tag that has their name and my address on it in case they get lost. I always feel nervous when they dotn have their bells on, because sometimes if you think, hm did I leave the porch door open slightly? you can reassure yourself by hearing the little tinkle of their bells. Its cute also to call them and hear the "ring-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling" as they run towards you ^_^

The collars are also loose enough that if they got caught on something they could get it off easily, but its not loose enough for them to get it in their mouths and chew it. They dont mind the collars since they've worn one since the first day I've had them. When my I got my kitten who was 2 months old I made her a tiny collar with a bell on it so she wouldnt get lost O_O

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, Evan wears a collar. It has a bell and his name and my phone number on it. It's good that we have it because he runs out the door sometimes and we cant catch him.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

My furbabies are indoor only & don't wear collars. I have been think about having them microchipped so that if they ever got out...they might be returned. I would love more info. about the safety of microchips. They seem so large.
My cats do not wear collars. They are strictly indoor cats. Of course, there could be a chance they escape, but then it's a very small chance. THe microchips are perfecty safe, I imagine, both my cats have them.

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never put collar's on my girls before but with my new kids I am going to. I ordered 2 collar's with their names embroidered on each and my phone number. Then I ordered this tag that has a message saying "I am lost, please call......"
Please don't think I am an idiot but I have no idea how this tag is supposed to stay on!! I am embarassed to ask but I just can't figure it out. I thought maybe you just squeeze the thing so it tightens down on each side but I am not sure.
Also, should I look at a different type of tag or is this going to be ok to use?

Thanks so much for your help!! And don't laugh too hard at me!!
I have been laughing at myself for awhile now trying to figure it out!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks as if they intend you to put one hook through the tag and the other through the hook on the collar, and squeeze them closed with pliars. The woman who makes the tags I get for our monsters supplies rings -- just like small key rings, that are a double circle. They work really well and don't require any tools. As far as the tag is concerned, the big thing is that it is durable and has your contact info on it in a legible form. Beyond that, pretty much any kind of tag should be fine.

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Looks as if they intend you to put one hook through the tag and the other through the hook on the collar, and squeeze them closed with pliars. The woman who makes the tags I get for our monsters supplies rings -- just like small key rings, that are a double circle. They work really well and don't require any tools. As far as the tag is concerned, the big thing is that it is durable and has your contact info on it in a legible form. Beyond that, pretty much any kind of tag should be fine.
Thank you! LOL, I just thought, "what the heck is this?"

I will try it on his collar and see how he does... He is already scratchin at his collar though, I hope he learns to keep it on. Little brat! LOL

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ciera23

Thank you! LOL, I just thought, "what the heck is this?"

I will try it on his collar and see how he does... He is already scratchin at his collar though, I hope he learns to keep it on. Little brat! LOL
Some take to them more quickly than others. I had a real fight with Fawn. I have about half a dozen collars in the drawer, that I bought while trying to get her to accept it. I use stretchy collars with a safety catch, and she slipped out of them, undid them, you name it.

I tried a stiffer catch, I tried a not stretchy collar, I tried a standard buckle. She undid them all, and each time, we'd come home to a grinning cat, showing us her bare neck. The thing would disappear for 12 hours, and then "turn up" in some place (like a doorway we go through umpteen times a day, or right beside my bed) where we couldn't possibly have missed it earlier. Little brat. I ended up getting a puppy collar, with a standard buckle, long enough that it would wrap around, and the end could be taped closed. What a rigamarole! But it worked. That one she could not get off, and eventually she got used to it, and I was able to go back to the safety collar. Fortunately before the warm weather arrived when we needed them to be properly identified, so that we did not need to keep them in.

But the funniest part of that story is that now, when she loses a collar outside -- which she does every few months -- she comes in, finds me, shows me her bare neck, and cooperates totally while I take her into the bathroom to put on the spare that's waiting in the drawer for this moment. What a character!

Good luck with your little guy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Some take to them more quickly than others. I had a real fight with Fawn. I have about half a dozen collars in the drawer, that I bought while trying to get her to accept it. I use stretchy collars with a safety catch, and she slipped out of them, undid them, you name it.

Sounds, like Pixel, nicknamed 'Pixelini Houdini' as a kitten because everyday i came home to a barenecked cat & a collar on the floor... took me forever to find one that would stay on! but unlike Fawn, when i have to remove her collar for some reason, she is thrilled & not at all happy when it is replaced!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- these last two stories are cracking me up. I have tried several types of collars on Chloe and she has managed to get out of them all. One was lost for over two weeks before it magically reappeared one day. What a little brat!
But this gives me hope that she might get used to it when she's a little bigger and not able to slip out of them as easily.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel's not able to get out of the ones i have on them now, the Beastie Bands. they're stretchy, but not enough for her to stretch it over her head. Cable doesn't seem to mind hers - she doesn't even try to get out of it, which is good, because hers is looser so she has room to grow!