Cats on leash!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's adorable!! My kittens just wanna hide under the shelving. Strangers are scary. And since I live alone and keep to myself it's hard to socialize them. Not to mention it's way too hot to take them out. I did it with Lizzy but now I know these guys don't tolerate temps over 75 degrees. Which in AZ is seldom until winter or 4am in September / October but I like my sleep.
Good on ya, LokiWolf LokiWolf -- there's absolutely no reason for cats to have to be out except going to vet or moving, and most cats very much prefer not to.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheshire doesn't like dogs either (other than his brother Pavlov). But luckily we didn't come into contact with any dog in the store (we saw two dogs in the distance, he's fine with dogs that keep their distance).
*I do NOT like dogs.* (IDK how Elvis feels about them, other than about Priscilla, the one he lived with prior to joining our furmily. He liked her.)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
20210514_225105.jpg
20210113_091231.jpg
20210112_033537.jpg
20210113_091241.jpg
20210514_063450.jpg

Sami-prior to his certification (Therapy Animal)
Started Sami very young ,he was ready for his category testing ( 10 tests) at about 7 months old but they cannot be certified until age one so we had to wait- after he turned one the pandemic hit,no class testing,hospital restricted all visitors- so we waited a long time to get Sami working- in the meanwhile he brought many smiles to all the local businesses and people in the community so we got lots of practice
20210514_225105.jpg
20210113_091231.jpg
20210112_033537.jpg
20210113_091241.jpg
20210514_063450.jpg

That's Sami in training, under 6 mos old -loves the car
Most people don't know cats cannot be Service Animals so his little jacket served well to go "anywhere",lol... Therapy & ESA are not exempt from public access where " no animals" are permitted.....

I'm having trouble cropping his photos at the Cancer Center working,the files are too large....I'll keep trying

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 459141View attachment 459142View attachment 459143View attachment 459144View attachment 459145
Sami-prior to his certification (Therapy Animal)
Started Sami very young ,he was ready for his category testing ( 10 tests) at about 7 months old but they cannot be certified until age one so we had to wait- after he turned one the pandemic hit,no class testing,hospital restricted all visitors- so we waited a long time to get Sami working- in the meanwhile he brought many smiles to all the local businesses and people in the community so we got lots of practice
View attachment 459141View attachment 459142View attachment 459143View attachment 459144View attachment 459145
That's Sami in training, under 6 mos old -loves the car
Most people don't know cats cannot be Service Animals so his little jacket served well to go "anywhere",lol... Therapy & ESA are not exempt from public access where " no animals" are permitted.....

I'm having trouble cropping his photos at the Cancer Center working,the files are too large....I'll keep trying
Cats don't serve. Cats are SERVED by their hoomans.;)
Sami is adorable in his vests.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't serve. Cats are SERVED by their hoomans.;)
Sami is adorable in his vests.
I do understand what you mean but I've been working very hard to change the rules regarding cats- I've been contesting this issue with tye ADA for quite some time and have had several meetings with them exhibiting 3 different felines I trained that can meet their service requirements as good as any canine,if not better....They claim cats cannot guide the blind,alert the deaf or provide other various "services" to assist the disabled -certainly a cat cannot pull a wheelchair but neither can every dog-service animals are trained to perform specific services- the first cat I brought in 10 yrs ago was a Maine Coon who was trained to assist the deaf,he alerted his owner to door bells,knock,phone calls and alarms ... the second cat was a big tabby Tom who guided his blind owner by wearing a custom made harness- not property of "Seeing Eye Foundation"
Last of all there's Sami,Sami can open & close just about any door upon command ( but now,er hmm ,whenever he feels like it)-turn light switches on and off,fetch medications or something small I drop ..and cover me with a blanket....these are just a few things I trained Sami to do to prove a point..... the ADA accepts miniature horses but will not accept cats-not every cat is suited but neither is every dog.... problem is I was a lone crusader..I've given up with the ADA but not with individuals that do have that particular cat that is well suited for the tasks at hand.....

So if anyone asks me-all cats can be trained to walk on a leash,provided they begin with them young enough-most others can-some are too set in their ways at a certain age & conditioning

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand what you mean but I've been working very hard to change the rules regarding cats- I've been contesting this issue with tye ADA for quite some time and have had several meetings with them exhibiting 3 different felines I trained that can meet their service requirements as good as any canine,if not better....They claim cats cannot guide the blind,alert the deaf or provide other various "services" to assist the disabled -certainly a cat cannot pull a wheelchair but neither can every dog-service animals are trained to perform specific services- the first cat I brought in 10 yrs ago was a Maine Coon who was trained to assist the deaf,he alerted his owner to door bells,knock,phone calls and alarms ... the second cat was a big tabby Tom who guided his blind owner by wearing a custom made harness- not property of "Seeing Eye Foundation"
Last of all there's Sami,Sami can open & close just about any door upon command ( but now,er hmm ,whenever he feels like it)-turn light switches on and off,fetch medications or something small I drop ..and cover me with a blanket....these are just a few things I trained Sami to do to prove a point..... the ADA accepts miniature horses but will not accept cats-not every cat is suited but neither is every dog.... problem is I was a lone crusader..I've given up with the ADA but not with individuals that do have that particular cat that is well suited for the tasks at hand.....

So if anyone asks me-all cats can be trained to walk on a leash,provided they begin with them young enough-most others can-some are too set in their ways at a certain age & conditioning
Cats are like humans. Each one has a unique and distinct personality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'd say you're an EXCELLENT influence, A Alldara ;) . Start 'em young, and they'll grow up very good cat-loving citizens. Does your neighbor have a cat?
They did. Two before their daughter was born and one afterwards. She recently passed away. They are the ones I trade pet-sitting with as we both have personal medical experience with cats, pilling and needles and such.

They will get another cat sometime. But their dog is also quite old and they want to focus on his care.

In the meantime, their daughter (I'll call her G), comes to visit my cats through the window. G met Magnus when she was a toddler and G is the only child Magnus is not frightened of. He loves to meet with her outside. Or she comes to the door with her mum.

Last time was so cute. He lifted his neck for neck scritches from her. Then some other neighborhood children went past quickly on bikes and Magnus was frightened and went inside. We (mom and I) told G it wasn't her fault Magnus got scared but she was quite upset.

Calcifer also likes G. But Ghost has been too frightened to come meet her. Mostly, Cal likes when I give G treats to give them.

If G is crying outside as toddlers do, Magnus will howl at the window or door. They have a strong connection I think.

Also the first time G's mum came in to feed the young boys, Magnus kept pressing his "Magnus Bean" button to introduce himself to her. All the boys like G's mum when G isn't present. My late cat Lily adored her as well. She would jump into her arms at the door.

Can't get better than cat sitters/neighbours your pets love that much.