Cat Puking and Diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

To me he could have feline cardiomyopathy. It's the lethargy that keys me. He could still need more medication for his UTI also.

Also, the movement problem goes with all this.I would get to the ER. Explain you are a student.
Yes, they do not care if he doesn't have the money, they simply will turn him away.

I don't believe it has anything to do with his heart, he's had ongoing issues with his urinary tract for a bit, and it got out of control.

BTW @missingone123  what's up with that bump on his lower tummy today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a girl, by the way, guys. It doesn't matter much to me, but I thought you'd like to know.

I forgot about that, actually. I haven't see him on his side much today, but when he is my eyes weren't drawn to anything. He's in the litter closet right now. 

When do you think I should give him another dose of antibiotics? Gave them to him last night at around 8 or 9.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm a girl, by the way, guys. It doesn't matter much to me, but I thought you'd like to know.

I forgot about that, actually. I haven't see him on his side much today, but when he is my eyes weren't drawn to anything. He's in the litter closet right now. 

When do you think I should give him another dose of antibiotics? Gave them to him last night at around 8 or 9.
Sorry! I actually did think you were a girl, just typing fast and not thinking, meant he as in the kitty :)

I see I said he doesn't have money, my mistake. 

I would give his next antibiotic at 5-6.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing an excellent job!  I don't have any advice but here are some 
 and 
.  I hope he's ok.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the vibes and hugs. 

I just gave him about 4 more syringes of food. We're making our way through the mix I made earlier. 

Last edited:

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have any ziplock bags? You can try making something like an icing bag (http://www.abakershouse.com/2012/03/ziploc-icing-bag-trick.html) and use that to get food in his mouth. Then you won't have to dilute it so much, but it might be a bit harder to control. (Actually, looking at that link I don't like the staples... you can do the same thing basically with tape.) Or you can try carefully spooning the food into the syringe from the top, that also helps you give a thicker food. Are you warming the food up first before putting it in the syringe? That makes it softer so you can add less water.

In that ingredients list you posted, what worries me is most is "flavoring." That could come from anything....

This website has a lot of tips on syringe feeding cats, including suggestions for increasing calories:
http://assistfeed.com/feline_assisted_feeding.htm

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I tried to convert the food to ml or cc for you, it's possible I made an error because it seems like a huge amount of calories to me but I guess that's the point.

I found the 1 ml or 1cc of food will provide 1,105.8 calories of food.

Based on this I would keep him on this food. The sheer amount of calories would be hard to beat.

Good luck!

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That really does sound like a huge amount of calories! I can't disprove your math because I don't have any idea how to even begin, but I was under the assumption that the can only had 180 kcals in the 5.5 oz can. I could have read wrong? I'm not sure, but it really does sound like a huge amount.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That really does sound like a huge amount of calories! I can't disprove your math because I don't have any idea how to even begin, but I was under the assumption that the can only had 180 kcals in the 5.5 oz can. I could have read wrong? I'm not sure, but it really does sound like a huge amount.
I agree, an average can of 5.5 oz has about 180 cals, so something didn't work out right.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to account for the water you are using to thin it out too, although with a/d you shouldn't need to thin it out much if at all.

Mainly you just need to try to feed as much as you can. If it's half the can, then it's half. If it's 3/4 then it's 3/4. I asked my vet the same question with Lucky and his only answer was "as much as possible". So, maybe the focus shouldn't be on the amount at this point, but rather just feeding him whatever he'll eat.

I would say it might make it easier to get a bigger syringe, but the smaller ones were easier to work with in my experience.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does say the 5.5 oz can has 180 kcals, as in 180,000 calories.... Maybe it's not the same unit as I'm thinking.

Edit: The internet says that all eating calories are already in kilocalories. So, he should be eating about half the can. 180kcals=180 normal(as in, human food maybe?) calories i guess?

I don't know math and now it sounds like science is coming into it and I think i'm just going to keep feeding him whatever he will take. :)

Last edited:

manyfelines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
   This is for the cat guardian and not everyone else-

Can you call your vet at night and get some advice? My vet will give me a break if he is treating ongoing problems.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a personal number of hers, no. He doesnt have a "normal" vet. He's always been a very healthy cat with no problems up until recently, and also strictly indoors. Because of money, we couldn't afford yearly check ups and since he didn't obviously need it, we only have gone when he's obviously sick, which the first time would be November, when he got his first UTI. I know it's not ideal, but I don't think yearly check ups would have caught this anyways, as it came on so suddenly. 

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay that makes so much more sense! I was thinking 1kcal = 1000 cal but you guys at right it's not!

Okay that means 1 ml or 1 cc is 1.106 calories which I feel confident about.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should have kept track of how much water I added, then I think I could figure out how many times a day I have to feed him to make sure he gets through the cup. 

Edit: Gave him some more. He actually licked off the syringe when I set it down to grab something. I tried to put some of the food on a plate but he didn't eat it, but I thought it was something to note. I gave him another 4 doses.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can do something like in the morning take out 1/2 of the can, then add either a bit of chicken broth, pediolyte or water, but just enough to make it blend well so that it will go through the syringe easily.

Store in a small ziploc baggie in the fridge, and know that he needs at least that amt throughout the day to keep from going in to liver failure.

If he can take more then even better so he doesn't lose much weight.

When you need to feed some, scoop it out in to a small cup or dish and warm it up, he will always eat it easier when it's warmer rather then cold.

Cats instinctively will eat warm better as it resembles fresh prey.

Just a little side note of encouragement, he is clearly NOT ready to die, so working hard and staying on top of his needs will really help him now, his body is working as hard as it possibly can to get well. Each day that he stays alive shows this, and allows for more antibiotics to work to help him, so this is a good thing :)

Last edited:

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The can that I have is pretty much gone. I have meat baby food on the way thats about 80 calories a jar, and I'm hoping to take him to the vet again tomorrow though so maybe I can get more cans of the food. Ill warm up his food next feeding time, though.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The can that I have is pretty much gone. I have meat baby food on the way thats about 80 calories a jar, and I'm hoping to take him to the vet again tomorrow though so maybe I can get more cans of the food. Ill warm up his food next feeding time, though.
Is it A/D that he is eating?

This is good if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.