Cat Puking and Diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would stay away from any dry now, and if you don't get more A/D before your can runs out, a great replacement is kitten canned, higher in calories and protein.

Actually fancy feast kitten would be great, it's smooth and will syringe easily. Kittens and adult cats usually love it since it's higher fat content means better taste!

Glad he ate tuna! He's gone so long now without eating on his own that it will be small steps until he gets back to fully eating on his own again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate some of the water and A/D food by himself just now. I had to tip the cup towards him, but he took a lot of it in. It's almost gone now. Good sign, I think. I was very proud of him. Now if only he'd let me clean up....

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

He ate some of the water and A/D food by himself just now. I had to tip the cup towards him, but he took a lot of it in. It's almost gone now. Good sign, I think. I was very proud of him. Now if only he'd let me clean up....
This is a VERY positive sign!!!!!!  

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. It was a really nice moment. I just tried to give him some more, and he seemed a little more interested, but didn't take it yet. Maybe tomorrow. His third eyelids have gone down a bit again, but he still looks pretty sick. 

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was up moving around a little more before my family and I decided to head to bed. Hes curled up in the bathroom again right now and I'll check on him through the night again. Thank you guys.

I'm hoping the snow doesn't get too bad tomorrow that we can't take him in for some opinions of the vet.

Again, thank you so much everyone for all you've done. I know we arent out of the woods yet, but I'm happy he seems to be in less pain.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that He is starting to take an interest in food. That is a Majorly Good Sign!

keep giving us updates!

Cleaning him up can wait a bit. I know he is stinky and stuff, but the food intake is more important. One small thing at a time.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a great sign that Booty is showing interest in eating on his own. Please keep the updates coming. I am at work and will be checking on things but may not be able to post again until I get home this evening.

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yayyyy!!!

I think I still have cat food on the walls from when I had to syringe feed my cat a month or so ago.

Leaving food on his face/neck etc can cause rashes (my cat's missing the hair by the tip of her nose still), but dealing with a rash later will be nothing compared to the work you're doing now. :) If it seems like he's getting nauseous it might be worth trying to clean him up a little better so he's not smelling old food all day, but at this point it doesn't sound like that's an issue.

Do you have a blender or food processor? Maybe he'd eat more of the tuna if it was more of a pasty texture. It'd be easier to mix it with other food, too, for flavor.

If you try the kitten food thing, make sure the brand you're getting is actually higher calorie. With some brands, the only actual difference is the label, and maybe the texture (usually more finely ground... but at least it would be easier to syringe, even if it wasn't higher calorie).

I'm so happy to hear that he ate something on his own! I cried when my cat ate on her own again. (There was a lot of crying going on that month.)

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate more this morning. I will try to blend it up next time because I think he was mostly just licking the juice. He "ate" for a long time though. His third eyelids are fluctuating-yesterday they seemed better, today they're looking wet and more out again. I don't know. I'm expecting a call from the vet again soon, so I'll ask about it then.

Update; We had some fancy feast delivered. He ate some of it. Not a whole lot, but it hadn't been a lot of time since the tuna he had earlier, either.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These positive baby steps are truly milestones in Booty's moving forward in a positive manner!! May his eating continue and continue these positive steps forward. You are an incredible, strong young woman, keep up the good fight!! I am praying for you and your little guy, Booty to win this!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Maddie:  

Any more news?   

Did you get in contact with the Vet?

What is going on??

not like you not to be on here, keeping us updated....

Last edited:

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really sorry about not being on. I was just doing other things today because he seemed to be doing better and didn't require as much attention as he has been. I also have school tomorrow, so I was getting ready.

He's doing okay. He ate some tuna this morning, then some fancy feast a little later. Not a whole lot of either, but some.

I worry that I may have ruined tuna for him by syringe feeding it to him blended, and now he wont eat it. I had mixed some tuna, chicken baby food, and the rest of the A/D food together for the most calories, not really thinking about it, and gave it to him just like that. He wasn't interested in it, and wouldn't eat on his own again, but he needed food, so I had to syringe feed him and that was what I had. Now he hasn't eaten again on his own in awhile. I worry that I might have hurt his teeth with the syringe when feeding him, too, because he wont open up like he used to yesterday and the day before when I would feed him. Also, when he does eat, he just laps at it I've found, but as soon as he goes to chew, he stops and walks away.  He could also just be getting fed up with having things shoved in his face, I guess. I've been trying to get him to eat so many different things that it might be upsetting his stomach, too. 

He's in the litter box again right now. He hasn't peed on anything other than in there in a really long time, and there's still no blood. He's still drinking water, and breathing fine other than the occasional sniffle. I gave him his antibiotics again just a little bit ago, and have not given him any pain meds since he perked up the first time. 

I think he's getting better, slowly. It's a roller coaster, I guess, but I don't think he's as sick as he was 3 days ago. I'm hesitant to be hopeful and stop holding my breath because I know how quickly things go from good to bad, but I'm happy it's better than it was. 

Last edited:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad Booty is doing better. It is good to take some time to relax. You need to take care of yourself too.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is feeling better and getting spoiled by the syringe feeding!

Did you at least talk to the Vet today?

I know you have school tomorrow, but you have gotten so many people involved with Booty that we area all 'chomping at the bit" for updates....

I am really concerned about how/and what the Vet says...did you take him back in for another exam??

Just really worried about Booty...

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Really sorry about not being on. I was just doing other things today because he seemed to be doing better and didn't require as much attention as he has been. I also have school tomorrow, so I was getting ready.

He's doing okay. He ate some tuna this morning, then some fancy feast a little later. Not a whole lot of either, but some.

I worry that I may have ruined tuna for him by syringe feeding it to him blended, and now he wont eat it. I had mixed some tuna, chicken baby food, and the rest of the A/D food together for the most calories, not really thinking about it, and gave it to him just like that. He wasn't interested in it, and wouldn't eat on his own again, but he needed food, so I had to syringe feed him and that was what I had. Now he hasn't eaten again on his own in awhile. I worry that I might have hurt his teeth with the syringe when feeding him, too, because he wont open up like he used to yesterday and the day before when I would feed him. Also, when he does eat, he just laps at it I've found, but as soon as he goes to chew, he stops and walks away.  He could also just be getting fed up with having things shoved in his face, I guess. I've been trying to get him to eat so many different things that it might be upsetting his stomach, too. 

He's in the litter box again right now. He hasn't peed on anything other than in there in a really long time, and there's still no blood. He's still drinking water, and breathing fine other than the occasional sniffle. I gave him his antibiotics again just a little bit ago, and have not given him any pain meds since he perked up the first time. 

I think he's getting better, slowly. It's a roller coaster, I guess, but I don't think he's as sick as he was 3 days ago. I'm hesitant to be hopeful and stop holding my breath because I know how quickly things go from good to bad, but I'm happy it's better than it was. 
A few days ago he was gravely ill, the first night, I woke up the next morning and thought oh my gosh, he might not have made it through the night, but he did.

Slowly but surely I think he is improving, must be the orbax is dealing with it and able to get a good handle on it.

I also think the more resistant he becomes, the better he is feeling.

So it's a very good thing.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did call the vet. She didn't seem that concerned. She said to just keep doing what I'm doing, and that it's good that he's breathing and drinking and eating still. She said to keep giving him his antibiotics and feeding him whatever he'll eat. She's also going to be out of town for 10 days, but said she left notes in case something happens. I would like to take him in for another exam, but my mom needs to save the money that it would be for them to look at him again for an emergency, like if he goes really down hill again. I feel better about not being able to bring him in since the vet didn't seem worried. 

I'm really sorry about not updating. There just wasn't much to say today. It's been pretty much the same, I think. I didn't mean to make you guys worry. I really appreciate your concern and support, guys. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Booty still needs to see the Vet. As an update/follow up. It is not fair to let her hang the way she is.. She almost died this weekend. 

Your mom needs to realize this is still a matter of life or death....Booty is still not healthy...

I know you have school. Booty cannot be ignored. 

I know how important it is to pay off your credit card balances each month. I am on a limited income~~ and a small income at that...Booty needs a follow-up to check her kidney values, and her breathing....a lot could have happened to her over the weekend.. It is almost to the end of the month...then the cycle with the credit cards begin...

Last edited by a moderator:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I did call the vet. She didn't seem that concerned. She said to just keep doing what I'm doing, and that it's good that he's breathing and drinking and eating still. She said to keep giving him his antibiotics and feeding him whatever he'll eat. She's also going to be out of town for 10 days, but said she left notes in case something happens. I would like to take him in for another exam, but my mom needs to save the money that it would be for them to look at him again for an emergency, like if he goes really down hill again. I feel better about not being able to bring him in since the vet didn't seem worried. 

I'm really sorry about not updating. There just wasn't much to say today. It's been pretty much the same, I think. I didn't mean to make you guys worry. I really appreciate your concern and support, guys. 
I understand, and realize that the past few days have really revolved around Booty, and while you are not putting him aside, you still need to deal with reality, school, etc.

I'm sure @artiesmom  is sounding like scolding you but I know where that is coming from too, we do get very involved with members troubles and do cry, and get emotionally drained, and mourn their loss too.

What can I say, we are a bunch of softies with great compassion for these kitties :)

If you can just check in here and there to let us know how things are going and any improvements or otherwise we would be grateful!

Status
Not open for further replies.