Cat Puking and Diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are truly amazing, and whatever happens, you have done the very best you possibly could! I have no advice that's not allready given. I just wanted you to know I'll be thinking about you and your cats, sending you and your cat good thoughts and vibes fron Norway <3

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice to give but wanted you to know  I'm praying for you and your kitty.

You are doing a great job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the support. It makes me feel better to be reassured that I'm doing my best. I don't think I could live with myself thinking that I didn't do something that could save him that was in my control. Your support means so much to me.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My mom said that his pee smelled like acetone, which I looked up and it says that it may be a sign that they're burning fat instead of sugar for energy, which isn't surprising but worrying. I guess I'll start feeding him more now.

Edit: I've been making the food more concentrated when I syringe feed it. He laps it up like he wants to eat it, but wont eat it on his own. He also got annoyed with it pretty fast this time around, so I didn't get to give him as much as I wanted to.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Update: My mom said that his pee smelled like acetone, which I looked up and it says that it may be a sign that they're burning fat instead of sugar for energy, which isn't surprising but worrying. I guess I'll start feeding him more now.

Edit: I've been making the food more concentrated when I syringe feed it. He laps it up like he wants to eat it, but wont eat it on his own. He also got annoyed with it pretty fast this time around, so I didn't get to give him as much as I wanted to.
This tells me there is a very real danger of his liver shutting down, he is not strong enough to handle this AT ALL.

What happens is when there are not enough calories coming in for his body to burn it turns to stored fat to burn, the liver gets slammed with this fat and is unable to handle it so it shuts down, this is what hepatic lipidosis is. (HL or fatty liver disease)

a VERY big deal and life threatening.

The thing is you can stop this from happening, he MUST get at least 100 calories taken in per day for this not to happen, so whatever it takes to get this in his body every day until he eats on his own again, whether he likes it or not, he must have it.

He's hanging in there at least, meaning the antibiotics are given the chance to work on him, a very good thing :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Maddie,

our Booty is such a fighter! He is trying his best to get better.

Yes, as Catwoman has said he needs nourishment; he needs the calories. That is why I suggested the KMR yesterday.

What you can also try to feed him is Baby Food. I am referring meat baby food. It cannot have any onions or other stuff. It has to be meat. The ones to get are either Beech-nut or Gerber. I would not take the store brand. 

I would stick to the two brands I mentioned.

This is the food in the small jars. Try the Beef or Chicken.

These dilute easily with water; making it easier to draw up in the syringe.

Another thing: how often are you feeding him. It has to be quite often because the syringe you are using is very tiny.

one tiny syringe is not enough.

keep us updated....please

The smell may be enticing to him, if nothing else is. 

He needs to get the nourishment. 

He needs those 100 calories....He is too weak and sick now..

You can get a larger syringe at the drug store. Or pick up a baby medicine syringe. 
I use that for Artie when he gets his pills. 

If Booty fights, that is a good sign. It means he has spunk left in him!

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many calories are in a serving of the food I have. It's high calorie for sick cats, and I feed him every 2-3 hours by diluting a little forkful with water and doing 2-3 syringe-fulls of the mixture. I wish he would eat it himself but he wont. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
That is great! That is more than I thought he was getting. That food was designed to provide a lot of calories. Keep doing what you are doing. I think you need to try to get more in him, or try more often...

Good Job!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any plain tuna fish? The kind packed in water. I am thinking you could take the drained juice from the can and add that to his food. It may entice him more...

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I found it. It's Hills Prescription Diet. Canned  1151 kcal/kg (180 kcal/5.5 oz (156 g) can). The syringe is 3 mL big. I add enough water so that it can get into the syringe. I also have the smaller pain med syringes, but those are 1.0 mL big- I just have a lot of them.

http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-canine-feline-ad-canned Here's the link. There's a feeding chart on it, but I don't know how to convert that to how much I should be giving him.... Math isn't my strong suit. Could somebody help? 

Edit: I have canned chicken and canned tuna in water. I've tried feeding him both, mixing it with his food, ect. He wont touch it unless I'm feeding it to him with the syringe.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry sweetie, my math is not great at converting to calories either. 

If you can give him at least 3, 4 tablespoons a day; that would help..Glad you have the 3 cc syringe 

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can hardly get the tiny forkfuls I give him now in. He took about 3 3 mL syringes of it just now before escaping to under the bed. He laps it up when I put it in, but he wont just do it on his own still.... There's chicken juice in it too. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I can hardly get the tiny forkfuls I give him now in. He took about 3 3 mL syringes of it just now before escaping to under the bed. He laps it up when I put it in, but he wont just do it on his own still.... There's chicken juice in it too. 
If you are unable to get at least that amt in to him a day then he will need a feeding tube put in, that's the only option, as HL must be prevented, the description of his urine smell indicates he is on the border for going in to HL, a nightmare so please get that food in to him any way you can.

If instead of adding water or pediolyte you added some full fat chicken broth that will add calories too, any way of adding calories in to the small amt he does eat will help.

There is also high calorie gel that looks like toothpaste that could help add cals too.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ill try my best. I don't have money(or anywhere to go) for a feeding tube right now. I've mixed up 3 tbs of the food with some water and added the chicken juice/water to it as well. It's a lot. I'll try to give as much as I can to him. 

I also don't want to go out and leave him home to buy anything. I'm going to try to get baby food delivered and I was looking for syringes, but they don't seem to have any on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question;

Does anyone see anything harmful in this ingredient list

Chicken Stock, Chicken Fat, Salt, Yeast Extract, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten, Corn Oil, Flavoring, Autolyzed Yeast, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein.

Its chicken stock, as said. I know that cats cant have garlic or onions, so it limits down what I can get by a lot... I didn't know so many broths had garlic in them.

Edit: I jsut saw that "chicken stock" is an ingredient, but doesn't list whats in that, so it probably does have garlic/onions. :(

Last edited:

manyfelines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To me he could have feline cardiomyopathy. It's the lethargy that keys me. He could still need more medication for his UTI also.

Also, the movement problem goes with all this.I would get to the ER. Explain you are a student.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ER doesnt care if I cant pay. They have signs everywhere that say you must pay before you leave. The vets are a little more understanding, but there's still not much they can do. It usually results in having to cut corners, which is probably why I'm in this situation, sadly. Its awful and I'm aware of it. If I could do more, I would in a heart beat. 

None of the vets have mentioned anything about his heart other than the other day when his heart rate was very high. If it is something as serious as that, which it most likely is, I can't pay for the treatment, and even if I could I'm not sure if I would be comfortable prolonging a life of constant vet trips, medicines, lab tests, and pain for the few months that I could. He means so much to me and I want him to live healthily, and I don't think that he would be happy with a life like that, even if it is painful for me.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Question;

Does anyone see anything harmful in this ingredient list

Chicken Stock, Chicken Fat, Salt, Yeast Extract, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten, Corn Oil, Flavoring, Autolyzed Yeast, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein.

Its chicken stock, as said. I know that cats cant have garlic or onions, so it limits down what I can get by a lot... I didn't know so many broths had garlic in them.

Edit: I jsut saw that "chicken stock" is an ingredient, but doesn't list whats in that, so it probably does have garlic/onions. :(
I see no harm in this. 

Status
Not open for further replies.