Booboo is confusingly not well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, he is getting no Pepcid. I read about that but he hasn't been licking lips until today..Should I ask the vet or go get it myself? I have a feeling the vet would say no but I dunno! He may have a mouth ulcer, I will have them look closely. Then I will look.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nausea is a common problem with CRF kitties, and pepcid is usually the first thing a vet prescribes for them when they are eating poorly!

1/4 of a 10 mg tablet 15 minutes before breakfast is the usual dose.

I never heard of a vet NOT prescribing it.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will certainly find out about that. I am also looking at types of fluids. I am wondering if they would switch his fluids, he is getting NaCi, not Lactated Ringer's which I've read is more preferred than the others. I can see my vet is not open to trying anything but what he's apparently used to, or maybe he thinks my cat is close to passing and is not telling me?
.. Well. We'll just remind them who the heck is paying the bill and has to live with the decisions and it is time to go right now, so I'm glad I've got my gall up. THANK YOU!!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes I remember you mention the sodium fluids before, and meant to ask about it.

the NaCl (which is salt) is sometimes used if the kitty has an elevated blood calcium. But usually Lactated Ringers is used.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Vet said once they start them on one fluid, they do not switch them to another fluid. This was via the Tech who had to go track him down since he was so busy today, and when I asked why they couldn't switch them she said she didn't know. He OK'd the Pepcid though, so going to take a few minutes to calm the heck down and then go back out to get it.
He had a little poo (like a smear) on the table once we got done. He went downstairs, either to hide or to use the pan, I will go check.
I am praying we get him down to 2 treatments a week, that would be great. They had a lot of barking dogs in there, which irritate the both of us badly.
He only had one CBC and that was the first test on 3/15 ... then they only apparently did a BUN and it was down to 80 from 131. The next test I am going to request a full CBC be done, because I was not told it was only going to be a BUN.
This is so frustrating. I think I get the information from them then find out I don't, then it's like, wait a minute, ... ugh. But we're keepin' our heads up. Going to get pepcid then take him out for his walk. Thank you guys, for everything ..

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would anyone know why he is getting weak after fluids? The break we had Sunday he really seemed to pep up and was feeling good. He was coming to me for scratchings and meowing and things. All of today after his treatment and this evening, he's been sleeping. He got down off his chair and laid down, so I took him to his pan, and he pee'd a very large amount. Then I took him to his plate, and he ate. Then I let him walk back to his chair and he jumped up with seemingly no problems.
Should I continue assisting him, or let him do it on his own, or just mix it up (like if I think he needs the pan)? And is this a concern? It seems he is getting really weak then he'll perk up a bit by morning, then another treatment and he's weak again. The vet refuses to give him less than 200ML a day, and will only offer to do 100ML twice a day (Once in the morning, once in the late afternoon, which I don't want to do because that just seems way too stressful)
I just want to do everything I can for him... thanks guys.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK! This vet visit this morning went very well. Boo got his favorite tech Marie this time and he was very calm, he never jerked once nor growled. We thought he had dozed off at one point.
For some reason I saw Lactated Ringer's solution hanging on the IV Stand and asked, I said the Dr told me they didn't switch fluids once they had one going? She went and asked and came back to tell me that it was my choice, whatever I wanted was fine, but I would have to keep an eye on his urination, because if it stopped or became less frequent then they would have to switch back, meaning his potassium got too high.
I am a little unsure of why they did this, but it certainly made a different with Boo. Not only was he happy and more normal than ever this morning, but he didn't jerk or anything! It was so easy today! I feel more confident than ever that by this Saturday I will be doing this at home with help from my Mom.
Anyone else concerned that the urinating will stop on Lactated Ringer's? I told her, "I know I don't know nowhere near as much as the doctor, but I just wanted to try it, since it's not supposed to sting as much!"
I am also going to shave a couple of small spots (OK'd by the vet) Behind his shoulder blades so I can see better once I do this at home. I am still having that small issue of going in too far (I keep forgetting I don't have to go in all the way) So I have to back out to get the fluid going.
Anyway. I'm pleased, besides the tinkling on the table part. (I had my own towel wrapped around him today, and when I removed it and he stood up there was clear fluid all over the table near his back part. I thought I had just dumped 200ML of fluid on the table but he was not wet at the injection site nor on his sides, it was all between his back legs and on his backside. That's unlike him. And it smelled nothing like urine.)
Going to let him enjoy the nice weather and love on him some. He does not seem weak like yesterday.
Also: I know it's difficult to tell one cat's poo from another's, but they are both sneaky about going and I may miss catching them in the act (Work, for example) But someone poo'd, and while most of it was a regular darker brown poo color, some was tannish, it was not white cat fur, but I've seen the kitten poo and hers was all dark brown all over. Could this possibly be Boo's poo?
I nearly got some surgical gloves out and took it apart but my mother nearly had a cow at the idea

Thank you guys and have a great great great day!!!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today's visit went extremely well. He didn't move, didn't jerk ... it was great! I have brought all the supplies home (Needles, Lactated Ringer's liter bag) to do myself with my mother's help tomorrow.
I am SHOCKED at how great he's acting. He greeted me this morning, wide eyed, looked great, purred, rubbed on furniture, and he's eating. Still, no poop, so more miralax in a little while. Still peeing though, they said we'd have to keep an eye on it in case his potassium got too high.
He's just acting as if he feels so good! I hope this continues, I really pray it does. I am confident with the fluid treatments now.
Has anyone ever had anyone suggest squeezing the bag while giving fluids to make it go faster? The cat didn't seem to mind, and it cut the usualy 5-10 minute treatment into like a 2-4 minute treatment. I am not sure I will do that though, not yet. Will do some more research on it.
That's really all I can say! He did well, but did not get a test today. We will do that the beginning of next week. I am off to pawn some items to get up some extra money, as I've used up most of my care credit (They only loaned me 500 bucks and I have nearly perfect credit!)
I hope everyone is having a blessed day, and thank you so much for your support

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful news! (not about having to pawn stuff, but that you're now comfortable enough to give him his fluids by yourself). That should save you big bucks, so you won't have to pawn everything

BTW, I'm glad he's having a good day

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is doing better, I have never squeezed the bag to make it go faster, but the only cats I have given fluids too were either really sick so not moving too much or well behaved ones so they sat there with someone distracting them for the 5 mins without an issue.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know. That was the first I heard of squeezing a bag. I will try the regular way first, .. I don't want to go overboard. I found him a full faze muzzle after driving around nearly the entire city all morning. The vet wouldn't let me borrow one and they did not sell them, the PetSmart did not have them, but a very nice guy helped me locate them at a small pet supply store and I got it there. It looks great.
He is sleeping now and has been eating very well, and seems so bouncy and normal. I've seen him trotting and galloping around all morning/afternoon. He is sleeping now, but we STILL have no poop! I gave him some more miralax but if there is nothing by morning I will take him up there to have him checked for constipation. I am wondering if it's just his poor appetite and there just isn't really any poo to come out. Because with all this miralax something shoulda come out by now!

Thanks again guys

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the happy update. so glad things are going well for you and Booboo.

How long has it been since he pooped?

Yes I know a vet tech who recommends squeezing the bag to hurry up the flow. I was always happy with the 7 minutes, so never tried it.

Did I already mention getting your supplies from your local pharmacy to save $? Your vet can write the prescriptions.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am looking into options for getting the prescription. I have not talked to the Vet personally yet about getting a prescription, but I may have some trouble doing getting him to do it. I am hoping not. If so, I'm sure I can go to the other vet in the next county. Right now I am concerned about watching this Lactated Ringer's and making sure it does not do him harm. The saline seemed made him feel so badly afterwards, but after yesterday's LRS and today's, he is bouncy! It is so incredibly crazy guys, I kid you not! He is bouncing up the steps, running around, coming up to me for petting and eating well. I am almost kind of concerned that he's bounced back so quickly and seems so happy. Should I be suspicious of this?
He is peeing, still. And he has not pooped since about Wednesday. I had them feel of him and he was not constipated, so we were figuring he was not getting enough food in him to make a poop, or it will take a little time to get it going again.
He is not wobbling or acting weak in the back legs anymore, no limping, he seems almost normal, save for that horrible amount of weight he's lost. He's very interested and will actually glance over at sounds, whereas before he was ignoring everything. He's in here sniffing of things now and I think wants me to go to bed for cuddling. He seems almost hyper? One second he is wanting cuddling, the next he is sort of running away from me.

.. I will talk to the vet tomorrow about the pooping and go in for a constipation check. He is eating much more than he was!

Nighty nighty guys!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Epic failure for the at home attempt of fluids today. Boo wouldn't lay down on the counter and even with the cat muzzle on would just sit up trying to look around. He was still, but I only got the needle in once (with him sitting up) and it wouldn't flow. I backed out, still just a slow drip. I pulled out and tried a couple more times but before I even nearly stuck him he was giving annoyed meows. So, I will try to stick the bag up higher next time (It was about 6 feet off the ground) and figure or research a way to get him to lay down.
Soooo we went to the vet instead and he did perfectly. He laid down, he stayed still, I did it myself, no issues! Flow was fast, too less than 5 minutes for his 200ML. I don't get it! Now he's home and strutting around like he's king of the land. I figure the vet scares him so he does better, but I am wondering, seriously, if he's starting to like the women that assist us.
I was almost about to get discouraged because I was really looking forward to doing it at home. It would be easier even though the vet is only about 5-10 minutes away.
Anyway. He's doing well, eating.. And I think he may have pooped. The kitten's are always dark and these have tan in them again, but will keep an eye on him. He is not constipated.
Thanks again guys

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

Epic failure for the at home attempt of fluids today. Boo wouldn't lay down on the counter and even with the cat muzzle on would just sit up trying to look around. He was still, but I only got the needle in once (with him sitting up) and it wouldn't flow. I backed out, still just a slow drip. I pulled out and tried a couple more times but before I even nearly stuck him he was giving annoyed meows. So, I will try to stick the bag up higher next time (It was about 6 feet off the ground) and figure or research a way to get him to lay down.
Soooo we went to the vet instead and he did perfectly. He laid down, he stayed still, I did it myself, no issues! Flow was fast, too less than 5 minutes for his 200ML. I don't get it! Now he's home and strutting around like he's king of the land. I figure the vet scares him so he does better, but I am wondering, seriously, if he's starting to like the women that assist us.
I was almost about to get discouraged because I was really looking forward to doing it at home. It would be easier even though the vet is only about 5-10 minutes away.
Anyway. He's doing well, eating.. And I think he may have pooped. The kitten's are always dark and these have tan in them again, but will keep an eye on him. He is not constipated.
Thanks again guys
I let it flow into a basin for a bit then close it off and insert it. It goes like a firehose, so I'm not sure why yours went so slow! for next time!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've got a question for you on the Miralax. How much and how often are you giving it to Boo? I give Sven 1/4 teaspoon mixed in 1.5 ml (cc?) water twice a day and that's the ticket for him. Now that he's on kidney diet, however, he doesn't go daily like he was. I think either he's eating less, or there is something in that diet that produces less poop (maybe because there is less protein in it?) Whatever, now he's going once every 2 - 3 days, but at least he's still going, and I don't see him straining at all, which he used to all the time before we started the Miralax routine.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, be sure the bag is high enough.

In addition, as was mentioned always check the flow (and the temp) before starting.

The tube gets a kink in it from the clamp, which will slow the flow, so you have to open it up at the clamp site.

Don't get discouraged, it will get better!

Has he pooped yet?

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
(I think I did not have the tube underneath the bag 1/2 full like I should've, it was only 1/4 full, maybe have had something to do with slow flow? My mom could have been leaning on the line, too :T)
He has not pooped yet. As for the miralax, my vet said it was so gentle that I "couldn't give him diarrhea with it" which I'm not going to bet on, but I give 1/2 teaspoon with 4-5 CC's water per the vet's instruction, and I've given that to him tonight, and night before last (Thursday)
I don't want to give it every night, and if he still hasn't pooped tomorrow I will have him checked again for constipation. I am thinking either his body is using up a lot of the wet he is eating (because I was an idiot and let him lose so much weight) and he's just not making enough poop or he is just not going as regularly because he is not eating as often or as much yet. He has been really bouncy and has not vomited yet, so I am hopeful.
I am thinking he pooped yesterday, because the tan and brown stool is unlike the kitten. Hers are always pretty dark brown all over and smaller than boo's. These were a little larger and mixed with a sand/tan color, which I assumed was dehydration, miralax or maybe his food, I'm not sure. The vet tech couldn't really tell me either. It's hard to follow him around 24/7, especially since he's very sneaky. So is the kitten. They don't like being watched

Last time I gave miralax, I gave it and skipped a day and gave it again, and the second time I diluted it from 1/2 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon (I've got little white cooking measuring spoons they are GREAT) and used 4-5 cc's (I try to make it as little CC's as possible since Boo cannot stand the syringe) It also takes a minute because I don't want him to aspirate the liquid so I go slowly and squirt just a little into the side of his mouth.
He has been eating and not smacking his lips so I have not given anymore Pepcid yet, just that first 1/4 of a tablet. He's still eating. But he's not real bouncy at the moment, but may be the schedule I've got him on.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.