Booboo is confusingly not well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay. Visit went well but they were busy so we had to wait for awhile, and Boo got anxious, but the fluids went well. I was shaking so badly today that I decided not to do them myself, for fear of causing another meltdown. He did well with a full face mask and no burrito purse.
Vet said he would rather Boo eat C/D wet and dry with as much K /D as he can stand going solo, than any cat chow. He ate quite a bit of the C/D when we got home but managed to miss a good portion of the K/D. The Vet agreed that I should start assist feeding if he'll allow (he won't be candy and rainbows about it but he'll allow) so I will do that in just a bit, and with only the K/D.
I asked about phosphorus binders and my Vet told me that he does not recommend them, as "it would make things worse and I would advise you stay away from those unless it is absolutely necessary." ? I am confused on that one and was disheartened. Will call another Vet today to get his opinion if possible.
Vet said he had a dog with CRF that had numbers in the 60's and he did very poorly. Vet said he was very surprised that Boo is doing so well with numbers in the 80's (unless they've gone down anymore by now, he IS acting more like himself)
He also tried explaining to me again how nephrons don't regrow and a human in his position would be on a list for a kidney transplant. I already knew this. And I'm very well aware of the fact that this is, sooner or later, fatal, but so is life period. *sigh* Oh well. He's off in a cubby now to calm down.
They checked him for constipation and said he had none, which is good but bad because it means he's not eating enough to make poo in my opinion.
They are still giving 200ML. I am guessing they will want to do another CBC at the end of this week.
But, in general, he is doing better, more active and definitely has not lost his appetite. He just hates K/D.
Anyway. Hopefully I can report even better news later. You all have a great day and thaaaaaaaaaank you so much again.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The phosphorous binders can cause a lot of trouble with nausea, as can azodyl.

Ootay(
5/09) didn't need the binders, but her BUN was mighty high and possibly the azodyl might have helped, but I did not want to make her cope with even more nausea and appetite loss, so did not use it, and I probably wold have refused the phosphorous binders also.

Quality of life being more important than quantity, you know?

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, you are right. Perhaps that is why he did not advise them, because he has such a healthy appetite, he just doesn't want what he's supposed to have! That eases my mind a little bit. I just want to do everything I can for him, and not have to look back and say, "I really should've tried that."
But the last thing I want is him to completely stop eating. So this is good. I am also blessed that he has such good manners and will allow me to assist feed, wipe the butt, etc.
Woo. And thank you Otto, I hope your kitties (And everyone's here) and you all are doing well

Off to claim another victory!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I still dont think much of your vet. Phosphorus binders were recommended to me if Zia wouldnt eat the renal food (which she wont), but as she is nearly 20 with other health issues (which I personally think will force me to make a decision, as they affect her more), I decided to let her eat what she wanted, as eating something is the priority.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not an expert yet, since Sven was just recenty diagnosed with kidney disease, and when I asked my Vet about phosporus binders, she said he didn't need them because his phosphorus wasn't low.

BUT, that being said, I thought the most important thing with a CRF kitty was to keep them eating, and if BooBoo isn't eating enough to create poo, (has he lost weight - are they weighing him every day to see?) and you are now needing to assist feed him since he doesn't like anything he is supposed to eat, I don't quite understand not trying the phos. binders and maybe giving him a little Pepcid AC in case of upset stomach.

I'm inclined to agree with Booktigger about your Vet (from EVERYTHING you've said about him). But I also agree with Otto that quality of life is much better than quantity. I'm just confused about this feeding issue. I"ve read so much about how important it is that they maintain their weight, even if it means letting them eat whatever they want!!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oops...I meant to say Sven's phosphorus wasn't HIGH, not low! (mute point, since this is about BooBoo, not Sven!!)

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are -not- weighing him every day. I will request he be weighed tomorrow before fluids. I wonder if his fluid treatments will have any effect on his weight? The problem with the food is that he is eating C/D dry fine (Actually eating more of that than he was before I took him to the vet last Monday) and has never had a problem eating his wet C/D. We have always free fed here, left their food out all the time (Wet is kept in fridge of course) so it is not easy to tell how often they are eating. Boo has always been an all day eater, many small eatings a day. I am wondering if there is something in the Cat Chow he smells that his body needs that he is craving. But Vet said he really didn't want him eating it if they could manage it. I have not started assist feeding yet, only asked if it would be appropriate and the Vet said yes, if he would let me do it.
Another thing The Vet said was that the phos binders were "Risky".
Going to see if I can coax Boo out of his hiding spot to get another bite of food. See you guys later

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mea Culpa. I guess I misunderstood and thought since he isn't producing poop that he wasn't eating enough of anything. I think I'm reading too many cat histories here to keep track

I gather you are to try to assist feed him the KD? Also, if he really does not that Iams Multi-Stage Renal that I talked you into getting, they told me they guarantee it, so if the Vet you purchased it will not take it back, give Iams a call to see what you can do about getting a refund.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, the stirring doesn't seem to help, but I am trying to introduce it a bit at the time. Pulling a fast one over Boo almost never works. I'm going to try the Iams a few more times just in case, since it was 25 bucks, but if it doesn't work out I'll see about getting refund
And you didn't talk me into getting it LOL Really, thank you for mentioning it. We wouldn't have known until we tried! I will try stirring, stirring and maybe adding some crushed c/d dry, .. I will find a formula sooner or later, but until then if I assist feed I think I will just assist feed with the K/D. I tried it earlier and it was not pretty. He spit it out all over me and himself, and only got 2ML of the 4 I had. I may need to get a bigger syringe to help, this one didn't seem to want to suck it up even after I mushed it up the best I could inside a ziploc bag and cut the end off the syringe. Will check with pharmacy tomorrow.
He is not feelin' too good right now, and is sleeping in a meatloaf position on the bed. Thank you all for your help... this is certainly trying.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick update. He is eating C/d wet mixed with K/d, about 2 tablespoons and a little less KD than the CD. He's diggin' in tho! And just drank a good amount of water out of the tub!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a great update!

If he stops eating it again, buy yourself a cheap blender and blend the k/d. Then it will be SO much easier to get into the syringe. It doesn't sound like it would work, but it really does.

I hope he keeps improving, he sounds like a sweet boy.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am being a ninja and slowly sneaking in more K/D to the C/D. He is still eating heartily and I made sure to give him a treat just as soon as I got him in the house, so maybe this will calm him even more until I'm absolutely sure I can do fluids at home. Tech was very sweet today but she was the only tech there so I decided to let her do it and get it done, instead of letting me chance fouling it up. Anyway, he's eating much better (3 times within about 4 hours I believe) and I think I've almost got the formula down. This means offering it to him in my bedroom instead of just leaving it in the kitchen, and offering it to him more often. He is drinking water but still no poopies yet, but he is not constipated.
I weighed him today! He is 6.8 down from 6.9, which they told me was not a serious loss, that could be a fluid fluctuation (Weighed him before fluids, not after, and he was weighed 3/15 before any treatments) It is still disheartening because he used to be so heavy.
Keepin' our hopes up. Today he enjoyed the car ride and was really interested in the State Trooper who had to visit a minor fender bender. Very cute (Cat, not fender bender
) Here is to hoping we can get his #'s down to where he only needs a couple treatments a week, though it may be far fetched...
Well. I have my own doc appointment today to try and discuss anxiety and HBP so I guess it's my turn to get stuck with a needle!
I hope you all have a blessed day and your sweet babies too
Again from the bottom of my heart thank you, I could not do this without you.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've got to take care of yourself so you can take care of your furbabies! Get that high blood pressure under control, for sure!!

I was a little worried about my Sven, because even on the Miralax, he suddenly wasn't pooping regularly since he started up on the Iams Multi-Stage Renal, but today he had a nice big one
Maybe there's something in the prescription food that causes less poop (seriously!!) Are you still giving Boo the miralax? Also, I wouldnt be too worried about a .1 lb drop either, although I would try to get him weighed at least once a week just to keep an eye on it. We have a Wii Fitness Plus here, and weigh all our cats once a week. Unfortunately, Sven is losing, and Darko is getting heavier and heavier. Too bad we can't take some out of Darko and put it into Sven
The other two are holding steady. (Sorry, I'm digressing again!!)

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went and got a long thin stick from outside and tied a felt piece to the very end and have been quietly trying to give Boo a little attention, not exercise (doesn't matter because he just uses his paw a bit and looks very interested, but no getting up and chasing) And the kitten is lovin' it, she needs more activity she is getting a little sedentary.
I gave him miralax Sunday, and did 1/4 teaspoon to 4 CC's water, which was I believe 2-3 days of the original dose of 1/2 teaspoon to 4-5 cc's water. I didn't want to overload him, since it said Miralax takes 1-3 days to work, and when they told me he wasn't constipated it made it want to take it easy with the miralax just in case. I will try a little again tomorrow. It could be maybe that he will just have no poop for awhile because his little tummy is trying to suck it up for nutrition. He is moving around more, wandering more and has been having his tail up in the air (Which I read meant he was happy and/or interested) and I caught him trotting and galloping a few times! I will be getting him weighed every week, if not once or twice between those just so save my curiousity.
I am officially taking care of myself now and had a great doctor's visit, and am on some medication to chill me out a bit.
Maybe this will also help Boo to chill out a bit too.
Thank you guys! And mrsgreenjeens, I want to put some of Chickster's weight into Boo no doubt! I wish we could do that!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for keeping us updated on Boo, the kitten and you. All of you are important to us!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is eating something and seems to be enjoying things more. PErsonally, I would let him eat what he wants, even if it is c/d rather than k/d than syringe feed him, it is kinder to him if he isn't keen on being syringe fed.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring about us. It's so nice to have people to go to, it really is. I mean it!!
I am back on that same boat, booktigger. He ate a bit of the c/d mixed with k/d this morning but is feeling pretty blah and doesn't want to walk very far at one time. He peed a lot last night though. Two big ol spots.
I put a bit of cat chow in his treat immediately after he started trying to cover up the remainder and he ate a bit more. I've offered in the bedroom and he isn't interested. He is licking his lips alot (Like smacking his jaws together and swallowing) I've seen that symptom somewhere on the CRF site and have to find it again.
I am going to try one more time to find him something adequate that he'll like that is as close to k/d as I can find, and if that fails well, I'll let him continue eating what he wants. I'd rather him be happy and live a short while than be unhappy and live for another two years or something.
Another sub-q today, since they gave him a little extra yesterday I will see if we can shorten this one by a bit today, because he does not look like he feels well at all. He's drinking his water now though. It is so confusing, he acts very weak, and then a split second later he's galloping up the steps, or trotting across the floor. Anybody have any ideas on that?

Thank you all so much for this support. <3 I hope you and your kitties are doing well too

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lick smacking often indicates nausea. Common in CRF.

Is he getting pepcid (famotidine?)