Booboo is confusingly not well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They print things up, I DO have the receipt for receiving the Amforal, BUT they also keep paper copies and write down what they did at the time of the exam. On blue cards. I also know they use dry erase lamenated paper to write down who is being seen and what for (For like the door card or whatever, which room I am in, and it is wiped off when we are done) But they do keep records.

I guess I should have stuck with my gut instinct on the one vet, with the whole bath thing. Oh well. I will get those records tomorrow and we will see won't we!!!!!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK. I had no issue getting the records. It went all the way back to 1996, so I went ahead and drove it over to the new vet. She said she wanted to wait to say anything to me until she looked at them. She confirmed that Kanamyacin is contraindicated for cats with kidney failure. There are lots of meds they use that say they are for dogs, but they use them with cats, too. What struck me is when she said (And she was being very, very careful not to say the wrong thing and tried to remain professional, you know) "We are going to make mistakes, people make mistakes. But some mistakes are not excusable."

I went

She couldn't confirm whether or not it had affected his kidneys in any way, or if it had progressed the CRF, she has no clue. But he should have never been RX'd that stuff. And it is to get rid of parasites. How the heck would he get a parasite? Anyway... I was also advised by a source that I should look into contacting the Veterinary Board about this, or that it was an option. Any advice on that one?

So she really only confirmed what I knew in the first place from reading up on amforol/amforal, is that kanamyacin is toxic to kidneys in CRF cats. So why the bleepbleepbleepitybleep was it RX'd to my cat? I haven't spoken a word to my vet. I only told them I wanted the records for a scrapbook. I gave the entire stack to the new vet to keep, she asked to keep them to look them over more carefully.

I also told her if they left any part of that tooth in his mouth I didn't know what I was going to do. She said she couldn't really tell by feeling, but she could do an x-ray. I'm out of money (broke as broke can be) but we will do that after we get the Epogen done. That is priority #1 right now.

(And side thought, these devil food creme cakes are NOT GOOD, patooie)

Boo has been SO ENERGETIC. He is running around, he laid in my lap for the first time in 13 years last night (Not a lap cat) and he was begging to go outside yesterday but it was too hot.

He's sleeping comfy in his tent (He loves that thing!) Do any of you think if I moved the tent onto my bed, if it would bother him at all? I want him on my bed when I go to sleep, selfish I know, but there hasn't really been a night (before being diagnosed) that he didn't sleep on the bed with me
I am so lonely having the licking and snoring going on beside me. It's like I had a husband and he moved out.

Anyway. Thanks guys. time for some rest. <3 <3 <3 And also his urine culture is coming up negative still. She will call if anything pops up tho. YAY No UTI or bladder infection yaaay!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I need a memory refresher (rather than go back and try to find the info in this extremely long thread)...when and why was Boo prescribed the Amforal?

I'm guessing after your new Vet reviews all his records, that will be the time to report someone to the Vet Boards, and your new Vet (what's her name, anyway?) may do that! Someone needs to, it's sounding like. Then they can review it and decide if it was just human error or what. But as Mews said., Boo is paying the price. However, if it IS the old Vet's error, then at least they should pick up the price tag for everything related to his care, IMHO!!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boo was given the Amforol for a case of diarrhea he had. This, we suspected, was because of his eating clay cat litter because of his anemia, so then we were worried he might have a blockage and have that "Incontinence diarrhea" or whatever, where the runny poop gets out around the blockage, blockage doesn't move though. It went on for nearly a week, and it wasn't watery, but it was very much the trots (runny) and it smelled MOST FOUL. When I took him in I saw the younger male doctor that works there. He saw Boo and looked him over. I believe this is when we may have talked about his enlarged kidney and the vet didn't mention an ultrasound/x-ray, nothing and when I mentioned (or he mentioned) the possibility of lymphoma or cancer on/in the kidney he quickly dismissed it saying "I really don't think that's the case here." Course we still don't know.

So they came in with one great big horse pill (Bigger than my vitamins!) and I looked at her like she was crazy (The vet tech) and said, sorry, you're going to have to get a liquid, he will go Hannibal on you if you try to shove that down his thrown, and in HALF!? OUCH!!! Sharp edges!!! he could CHOKE!! She put it in an open ended syringe with some water and shook it up... and it turned into a pasty type thing. After what seemed like forever struggling with boo, we finalyl got most of it in there. He fought HARD the entire time.

So the vet says that was a "booster" stuff (LIke giving a shot of antibiotics before they send yuo home with some) and handed me a packet of Amforol, 5 syringes with pasty yellow liquid inside at 5CC's each. I was to give the full 5 CC's once a day for five days. By the fifth day he was back to normal, non-foul smelling poop. I was so happy.

Then I looked it up and saw it indicated for dogs and being kidney-toxic in CRF cats. This young vet KNOWS my cat is a CRF cat. He RX'd the fluids for me to get at Walgreens!!! He stuck his finger up his butt! He flicked poop at my forehead and didn't have the decency to offer me a tissue to wipe off the poop! I MEAN REALLY !!!!

as for WHEN, my memory is absolutely horrible, but I believe it was back in May, fairly sure it was May. He has had regular poop ever since.

She was being very careful about picking her words, I don't know how it is in the vet practice but she was trying not to say one way or the other if what the vet did was right or wrong, but the way it was spoken, she was telling ME to contact the Vet Board. Which oh honey I will so do it. My jaw hit the floor. She did an ultrasound (How we found out about the stones and what not) and didn't even charge me for it. Called it a "learning experience' I love her to death.

Anyway, her name is Dr. Pierce. She's a wonderful gift from heaven because without her... well.

And yes, you are right. Boo is the victim over this. It's why I am so ticked off. It came to me like a bad memory, they wrote down how much care credit I had on my card on the front of my folder. Why? Maybe someone may have a decent explanation for that, but that's basically saying "Well, she's only got 500 bucks so....."

This may or may not be a reason for not being proactive. It is clear to me now that Dr. Pierce is still young and vibrant, intelligent, and not jaded. The old vet is jaded, money hungry and I have the heebie jeebies that he is tired of working with animals in his older age.

Just thank God for me finding Dr. Pierce. At least I know that if that horrible time comes, she will be just as upset as I am ....

Gotta get back to work. It was a long day full of lots of emotions. Boo is doing well. Drinking water, I shaved a bit more of his tail and will get some baby shampoo and a cool rag and try to wash that stud tail off. It's nearly black. He didn't itch or lick it, doesn't seem to bother him. But it is oily and uncomfortable looking. Not giving him a full bath, just washing his tail and rinsing it.

*sighs* Thank you guys for your support. It means so much more than you know.

Shall I start a new thread since this one has gotten so terribly large? Let me know if I should.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. So glad the new vet is working out so well.

Yeah, I would probably start a new thread. Not only is the chapter with the bad vets over, and a new much more hopeful chapter begun, this thread may be difficult for people with dialup to open, it's so big, now.

But either way, I will be always checking in on Booboo! (and Chickster and you)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, now I remember the Amforal thing! So the old Vets office did not CAUSE his CRF or Anemia...he already had it. But they probably aggravated it with this medicine? Maybe that's what created the issues that are now going on with the one kidney (stones or whatever)?

Well, thank God you are no longer seeing them!!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amforol is antibiotic approved and used for both dogs AND cats, actually, and it is great for diarrhea... It is however contraindicated for cats or dogs with kidney disease. I am sorry the old vet made this mistake... but glad you did find a wonderful vet to take its place - it makes all the difference, doesn't it?

I am sending you a donation to your paypal account... A lot of people helped me when I needed help with Bugsy, Lucky and Hope, and I thought my World was crambling... I hope it can help you a little