Booboo is confusingly not well

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure your vet is doing a superchem, not a cbc. CBC only checks blood cell counts and things like that.

A superchem is what checks organs. Specify you want thyroid tested too. And get a blood pressure reading!

And then of course hurry back here and let us know what is found out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Epic fail at the sub-q this morning. He did NOT want to go into the purse and it took us way too long to get him in there (he figured it out already). Did a towel, but that was after the fiasco. We had to stop as he got so upset and mad that he bit the fire out of my wrist and I've got a puncture wound. He has NEVER bitten me before. He also scratched the nurse. I had to stop trying and pull the needle out, we got 100ML in. (I tried the opposite side from yesterday, thinking maybe it would go better.) We took about a 10 minute break (didn't matter to Boo, still mad as heck) But I let the nurse finish the sub-q. He didn't jerk around nearly as much and she finished on the opposite side.
My wrist is fine, cleaning it up, Vet was very concerned about it but it hurt my feelings more than anything. He was extremely upset today! I don't think he thrashing and jerking means he's feeling better, but the Vet and nurse insisted that is what it was. Vet was a little disappointed that we did not do the CBC first which was my fault. I thought he would be as easy going as he was yesterday.
We will do the CBC tomorrow and I will ask about the tests you mentioned, Otto. Superchem, thyroid and blood pressure. My mother insisted I ask about brewers yeast (she is not reading all of the info I am reading) and I did, but Vet said it was not necessary. I told him about his poor walking and then his limp this morning while mentioning heart problems, and he asked the nurse to take a temp to see if maybe he had an infection. His temp was great.
The doctor OK'd the Iams Multi Stage Renal if he will eat it. He again reiterated that he isn't too concerned about what he eats as long as he is eating. He wants to get more going in and coming out..
The sub-q's have gone down his front leg today. Could this be a possible reason for a slight limp? He was amazingly strong in the vet's office, but I'm sure stress and anger can make any animal that strong.
I asked about 200ML for today and if we should lower it. Vet said we could do 100ML twice a day if I really wanted to, but I said no to that, too much stress. I was hoping the test today would relieve him of such a long sub-q treatment (not THAT long but you know what I mean)
I am so frazzled guys. I am sorry if I've left anything out. Boo isn't liking to be picked up or held much, but he likes to cuddle. I had to pick him up (carefully) to put him in carrier and turned him around to the Nurse to show him, we talked to him, he looked at her for a long time and didn't hiss or growl. He's not a staring cat but sure did a lot of it today. Is liking the car rides more and more, and stares at me in the rearview.
Am rambling, must stop. Thank you all. Going to get the Iams and make Boo comfy, maybe another nice walk outside (though I think his real objective is to find the bowl of Cat chow. He thinks I don't notice how smart he is I think)

Thanks again guys. WOO What a Friday already!! Blessings to you all.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently Iams Multi Stage Renal requires a prescription. My vet does not offer Iams at all and I was told to ask at other Vets. I am a little upset about that but am going to call around. Going to try. No stores around here offer it, so... okay! Going to try to hunt down some o' dis food!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets stick to just one type of Rx food, it was always an issue at the shelter where the cats would come in from seeing different vets with Rx food and the shelter has Hills foods so we had to then get them an Rx for the Hills version but a Rx from your vet will let you buy it at any vet or online - they can not sell Rx foods at stores so you wont find it anywhere but the vet

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can call Iams at 1-800-675-3849 and they can tell you who carries the Iams Multi-Stage Renal Feline Dry. (I checked around,and found it was cheaper to buy from a local Vet than ordering via internet and paying for shipping, however, you can probably only buy ONE bag unless Booboo is seen by the Vet who sells it) Yes, I'm sorry I didn't inform you that you will need a prescription for it. I thought since you were already feeding some prescription food that you already knew. Sorry! I'm surprised (again) that your Vet didn't write you a prescription for it when he said it was ok to try it.

How's your hand after being bitten? You really need to take care of it, because that can be really serious! My hubby ended up in the hospital for 5 days after accidentlally being bitten by our cat (NOT during sub-Qs!!)

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have found the Iam's at a neighboring vet and they had an extra bag. They said they don't usually have it but have to order it hand delivered from the next city over, but they would sell it to me without an RX and they were all very kind. When I asked my vet for it I was told they didn't carry it but I should call around to other vets. I am guessing he is a big Hill's supporter. It was 25 bucks for a 5.5lb bag, but once home, crushed and sprinkled over a fresh can of K/D, his nose was turned up at it. He wanted the crushed dry Iams or the crushed dry Cat chow -by itself- (I didn't give it to him, I put it on his K/D). Again putting his foot on the towel and crowding me out. He went outside, he is walking a bit better (The fluid settled around the foot he is limping on [his front right]) and is jumping well. He is enjoying our open doors and windows and the 70F weather and sun. Seems rather content by now.
No problem about the RX thing! I didn't mean I was upset with you either, I meant I was upset with the clerk at the vet telling me to call around. :T I should've figured by the name, Multi Stage Renal! My vet looked me dead in the eye (He was extremely busy today) and told me that was fine to use, maybe he was scatter brained.
My hand is fine. I washed it, poured alcohol over it, squeezed the 1 puncture wound (It's a habit I've always done with small areas of broken skin) and then used antibacterial on it. I am constantly getting scratched by the kitten and past cats in our house, I am so used to it that it itches more than anything. My feelings were hurt, was all

Thank you for your concern
I will watch it very closely. Surprisingly it's not even red or welted anymore. And not even really sore.

We are going back tomorrow morning, so... I will try to update then. Blood tests BEFORE the sub-q's and I will be asking for a superchem, thyroid and blood pressure.
Thanks guys and I hope you have a great Friday!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad your hand is ok...definitely keep an eye out for those red streaks indicating infection!

I'm also glad BooBoo likes the Iams. If the Vet said it was ok, I'd go ahead and let him eat it whole, if he will, just to get some sustenance in him. I know it's not canned, but with as much liquid as is being forced into him, and especially since it's a kidney diet, it sure can't hurt, can it?

Can't wait to hear how his test come out tomorrow. (and how the fluids do)

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is what I am thinking. He is getting this fluid, and drinking lots of water (Especially this morning) That I did not fuss about him eating C/D. Each time he gets caught at the C/D bowl he looks up like "Uhoh busted!" But we don't ever say anything to him.
I handed him 2 little pieces of cat chow, then stuck 2 more in the K/D this morning too. He ate a few little mouthfuls of that, then. He is looking great this morning, eyes wide, meowing, a stray cat came up to the back door and Boo smacked at the door and immediately started energetically scratching on his 2x4!! So happy to see that.
He is not limping this morning! Nor walking funny in his back legs! He woke me up last night to cuddle and seemed just like his normal self. He is peeing, but has missed the pan a couple times. Some gets in, some gets on the plastic.
I would think the Iams dry kidney diet would be better than the C/D. I will do a double check at the vet this morning.
I've had people in the past tell me not to get my hopes up about small things (Like not limping or stuff like that) But I just cannot help it. Without those small victories I'd go crazy.
Thank you all for your help. I will update later. Hope your weekend goes great!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy you must be talking to some negative people. What's wrong with getting your hopes up? Sounds like BooBoo is doing well!

See, here's the thing with a cat with a chronic illness, it is a roller coaster ride. Up and Down. There are good days and bad days.

There are always going to be good days and bad days. Good stretches and bad stretches. On the bad times you'll find yourself wondering if it's time, but the good days are to be enjoyed, every second and inch, for what they are, gifts of time with your beloved BooBoo.

So ignore the doomsayers, and allow yourself to enjoy BooBoo, allow yourself to celebrate the good days!

After all BooBoo doens't know he's sick. He doesn't worry that even though he feels good today, he might not tomorrow. All he knows is he is in his home and with his person he loves and who loves him.

You have another kitty, too? Hows that kitty doing?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

After all BooBoo doens't know he's sick. He doesn't worry that even though he feels good today, he might not tomorrow. All he knows is he is in his home and with his person he loves and who loves him.
That is one of the most profound things I've seen on here!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That is one of the most profound things I've seen on here!
Thats how we lived it with Scully

But seriously, you have some negative people around you Snickerdoodle, little changes can tell us so much in how a cat is feeling, especially as they can hide illness so well, the little improvements are all we see most times with cats with chronic issues as they are already bad enough to show the signs

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You guys bring (happy) tears to my eyes. I am so blessed to have found this site. Thank you, multiplied by infinity.
I know I have negative people in my life. When my Dad was passing away I held out hope that his kidney failure would reverse and it did, but then had a family friend tell me that it didn't do any good to hope. People like that can crush you if you let them! I have already explained to my friends (with and without cats) That I am not torturing him, and have even schooled them on CRF (Basics... he is not suffering, it is a manageable disease, I am not torturing him)
First, the very tiny bit of bad news, the vet was so plugged up and busy today, and the Vet Doc takes Saturdays off that I didn't get the superchem or thyroid. They don't do BP there. They also do a Complete Panel which they do inhouse, but the Superchem has to be sent off. So he only got his blood draw. The Vet takes Saturdays off apparently, but we have some good news. First off, he did great. I warned them he was feeling spunky today, so they decided to put a full face muzzle on him. They said he didn't even meow, he did so great with the blood draw and sub-q. Since I wanted to wait on a copy of the BUN to bring home I did not really want to keep him in there any longer than necessary, it was incredibly loud with kids running around and dogs barking that I know it was stressing him out (Me too!)
His BUN level is 80 (First test was 131), which the vet tech (came out, sat with me, really took her time with me) said was still high, BUT it is looking good for him. She was happy, too. We can take tomorrow off for a break, but back again Monday. Monday I will be talking to the Vet. Today I am planning on seeing if I can talk to a friend's vet (She highly recommends him, but he is across town, seeing if I can get a quick consult/opinion...) and my Dr. Schmunk, hopefully (he works himself nearly to death, bless him)
Reading the receipt here I see it was only a BUN, I was wondering why she handed me a copy of only a BUN reading. *sighs* Well, not going to get down on that, I will fix that monday
BOO Got a can of wet c/d. As soon as I popped that can he came a runnin' and I snuck a bit of K/d into it too. He ate a good deal of it. They still say they want him taking more in, but don't care right now as long as he gets enough fluids and water what kind of food it is really (Preferring C/D wet) They told me I can feed Iams dry if he wants to eat it, but C/D dry is okay too.
OK. He has stopped limping, and I am hoping the weighty fluid (Sunk down to his belly flaps underneath today) is making him feel funny. He is acting a bit weak in the legs again, so.. yeah, hoping it is the funny weight of the fluid.
It only took about 15 minutes for the blood draw AND sub-q's today. I did not assist, because he did so poorly yesterday, I figured I need to take a break because I am trying not to be a wreck around him, and I heartily believe I had ALOT to do with him freaking out yesterday.
He didn't appreciate the two little 2 year old twin girls (So adorable) going ga ga over him, but he did ok going, there and back. WOo sorry, half of this post is not even relevant.
A superchem is 93.56 and a Comp panel is 71 but it is in-house.
Drinking lots of water, energetic (Once he gets over the vet visit this morning he will be back to it I believe) Still jumping well, eyes clear and wide and bright. Meowing when spoken to. purring when petted or sitting in a window.
Thank you for asking about the kitten. She is doing well but seems to know Boo isn't feeling well. She tried only once to get him to play, and realized she needed to leave him alone. We have been trying to give her a little extra attention. She seems a bit spooked when we bring him back but is not hissing at him now because he doesn't stink of the Vet's office so badly. She has had constipation problems since she was a kitten (Until my boss at work walked in and she decided "Great time to poo! Smell dis boss!" Goodness) But she is doing well, is weighty and extreeeeeeeemely active. She is eating and peeing and drinking water and all of that, ... Been trying to keep an eye on her and gave her some cat lax today just in case. Otherwise seems fine.

Going to try to let Boo rest then take him outside for awhile. Thank you all for your upbeat and very clear responses. I just cannot thank you all enough!! Nor can Boo!!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, that drop in BUN certainly sounds good to me, but I'm new to this CRF game myself. My Sven has only had one test done so far, and doesn't need to go back for a few months (unless we see some changes), because he is only in the beginning stages, thankfully. His BUN was 54 on the original test.

I'm so glad he is having a good day, which makes YOU have a good day too, I'm sure!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh it makes my day right as rain, nothing else can really get me down right now. My tortie even poo'd !! I gave her a bit of CAT lax and wiped it on a fav toy and she ate it up. Couple hours later, poopies! Poor girl!
Boo is sleeping and seems to be absolutely content. This is definitely a good day

Thank you again for all of your time and help and positive thinking. Couldn't do this without you guys, blessings blessings blessings!!

Edit: Just wanted to add that he is sleeping next to my computer chair, eating like crazy, meowing, and he is acting nearly completely normal and not laying down every five or six steps.
Still no poop tho from Boo, yet.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're right that it is indeed a roller coaster ride. Boo just went pee and it was foamy, so I am thinking that is Proteinuria... which is upsetting to me. Back to the vet tomorrow. Will try to keep my hopes up, he is acting more like himself, but don't like this sign. No limping, but no poops yet either. *sigh* Ok, updates tomorrow morning... thanks again everybody.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't painic, sometimes litter foams/hisses when it gets wet. Take a little water and pour it in the litter, does it foam?

I hope the visit goes well!

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuts sometimes gets foam when he pees and he's fine, sometime it just happens. I think it might have something to do with the pee and the litter sometimes doing weird stuff. It's not that uncommon from what I have heard from male cat owners that all have had it happen at one time or another and 99% of the time it's just a freak thing and has no 'real' reason, just one of those things.

Taryn

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that sometimes this happens because of a litter/urine reaction. I have been writing down different low phos/low protein foods to feed him, but he seems to really be gunning for the cat chow. I am going to ask for phosphorus binders today, let's see how that goes. Also going to ask about assist feeding and if he thinks it is necessary. He's not feeling too great this morning, but drank lots of water and only ate a few bites of k/d sprinkled with cat chow. Onward we go to fight this scurge!