Bear is at the vet. He's very sick, liver looks horrible.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Depends on if he gets ahold of the lady. If he does, and I don't have to directly pay her, then I can just charge it to my account there. If he doesn't get up with the lady, then I would have to schedule the ultrasound with another clinic and pay the day we get the ultrasound.

I have 2 more clinics that I have not called, one a family member has been going to for a very long time. Maybe they would let me make payments. I will call monday when they are open.
Ok... I sent you a PM... Check it out and think about it... We talk about it some more... off to bed now - long day tomorrow... But I WILL help you to get this money if you need, you do let me know, ok?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it, thanks soooooo much!!!!!!!! I will try it out, I have been trying everything.

-

Update: Bear ate some temptations, and left the chicken lol. He hasn't been eating much cat food on his own, just chicken and temptations. Once in a while he will eat a piece or two of Iams, but that is it. I wish he would eat more of the Iams, I remember that before I "knew better" Cody was a fat blubber whale when he was on Iams, lol. He has not lost any more weight, but he is still a little underweight. I can't force feed him any more Rx food, he gets 3 syringes at the most (I believe they are 12cc syringes) because when I give him more he pukes it all up. He tollerates the force feeding ok, it takes about 15 mins because I go slow with him, pet him and love on him the whole time so he knows I am not being mean. He forgives me as soon as I am done feeding him and lets me pet on him more, and does not hide... Well, before I start feeding him he pretends to be asleep, LOL, thinking that I will just leave him alone.

Sorry the updates were so late, I got way behind with school since I've been taking care of Bear but I am done with this semester and passed my classes, yay!!! I might not take any summer classes, I was having a hard time juggling school and taking care of him. He is not a burden, I hope it doesn't sound like that. I actually love taking care of him, it really is a bonding experience. I appreciate every second I get to have with him.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the ultrasound, and I dont think your vet is right about worrying about FIP - Bear would have had to come into contact with the Corona virus and it would have had to mutate in him. FIP is actually very rare, and I think he would have had other symptoms by now.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
congrats on getting through all your classes. I agree with those who do not think this is FIP.

By the way...just a thought. When I have a reluctant eater, especially due to illness, I find it much more effective to NOT leave food out all the time.

Cats will either get so accustomed to the smell of it that it means nothing to them, or if they feel nauseous to begin with, the smell of the food will only make them feel worse and even less inclined to eat it. Smell is everything to a cat. Imagine having to sleep with the smell of the food in your face every second.

Since you are already feeding him many times a day, and stay with him while he eats, I would remove the food, and only offer it to him at feeding times, when you can sit with him, since that it the only time he eats anyway.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very happy to hear that Bear has only thrown up 2x's in 2 weeks. I think that is a very positive thing

The vet was right about the jaundice - it does take a while to fade away. As long as it does not look alot worse then my main concern would be with the liver values.

Please keep us posted and I am hopeful that you will get an ultrasound soon

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard from the vet, the lady finally called him back and she is coming tomorrow!!!

I had to reallly bargin with him though. He said it is $280. I asked, and the way it works is that you are supposed to pay the clinic, and they write a check to the lady the same day. I do not have the money so I told him that I just maxed out my Care card and that I only have $80 in my pocket, and that I needed $20 to pay my care bill this month - That all I could give him was the $60 right now and I would pay him asap. He started to say that I could pay $160 a month, but I explained to him that I honestly would not have that to give him, that the best I could do was $50 (that is realllly stretching it too) but I told him when my next refund check came from school that I would give him all of it if I had to. He finally agreed. God I love my vet! No idea when I will get my next refund check, it may be months since I just got one (it came the day before Bear got sick, and I used every penny of it for his vet care)

So my boy is getting his ultrasound tomorrow, at the expense of the vet with the understanding that I will pay him back asap.

--

Bear threw up some this morning, but he kept everything else down. He has only ate about 1/4 cup of chicken today, a few pieces of Iams, and a couple temptations. I have started taking his food up in between feedings, then leaving it out for him for about an hour. I can't tell if he is eating more this way or not, too soon to tell. His skin color is about the same, he is still very perky!

I can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You negotiated well on Bear's behalf.

Sending vibes for the ultra sound results that you are hoping for.

A tip..
sometimes, if a kitty is stressed, the tech will let you hold your kitty on your lap to help calm him during the ultra sound procedure.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY!!! I am so happy that you can finally get the ultrasound. I am sending good vibes for Bear! He sounds like a trooper and will be a little angel
during the ultrasound. You should be able to hold him during the ultrasound.

Many vets would not perform the ultrasound without the money in their hands right after the exam. I am so happy that your vet gave in and let the love
you feel for Bear out weigh the money at this time

More animals would be alive if the majority of vets practiced with such understanding!!!

Please let us know how everything goes

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I set up a blog for Bear, and someone set up a fund for him!
So we can pay the vet back. The person who set up the fund is calling my vet tomorrow and paying $75 towards his ultrasound... I am at a loss for words, this is a total stranger who opened her heart to us.

For anyone wondering about how I am financially taking care of my crew of kitties given my current situation, I stock up on cat food when I can.
We have enough cat food for a few months, and it is pretty obvious that our vet will help us with any vet care we need. They all get whatever they need, I make sure of it.

Originally Posted by xocats

You negotiated well on Bear's behalf.

Sending vibes for the ultra sound results that you are hoping for.

A tip..
sometimes, if a kitty is stressed, the tech will let you hold your kitty on your lap to help calm him during the ultra sound procedure.
Thank you, all of the vets at my clinic are beyond amazing!
I do not think I will be there when Bear gets the ultrasound, the vet told me to drop him off when they open and that they will go ahead and shave him so that he will be ready when the lady comes. It sounded like they did not know what time she is coming, I think the other clinics I called use her too, she is probably going to visit several clinics today because she comes from out of town to do this. Bear is great at the vets, no hiss, meow, growl, nothing like that.

The "worst" thing he does is freeze up and doesn't move. The last time he got bloodwork he did that, they had him on his side to get the blood and after they were done they let go... he did not move, he was still laying on his side like a good boy!

Originally Posted by Denali

YAY!!! I am so happy that you can finally get the ultrasound. I am sending good vibes for Bear! He sounds like a trooper and will be a little angel
during the ultrasound. You should be able to hold him during the ultrasound.

Many vets would not perform the ultrasound without the money in their hands right after the exam. I am so happy that your vet gave in and let the love
you feel for Bear out weigh the money at this time

More animals would be alive if the majority of vets practiced with such understanding!!!

Please let us know how everything goes
He will be good, they would sedate him if they absolutly had to. But Bear doesn't have a mean bone in his body.
No kidding about the other vets wanting the money upfront! I called so many other clinics begging for them to let me make payments on an ultrasound, every single one turned me away.

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

More for Bear
for you and for your vet
Thank you, it means a lot to us!

Originally Posted by mews2much

Good Luck tomorrow.
I do not believe it is FIP either.
Thanks, I hope not. I would think that he would be getting much worse by now too.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!! Molly had to be sedated for her ultrasound, and they wouldnt let me stay. I did camp out in the local supermarket car park rather than come home though, just in case they had any problems!!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dropped him off this morning, they said that she called them & she is coming by around 4pm. He didn't say anything about sedating him, so I don't know. I hope they don't have to, it would be something else his Liver has to process.

Great news though!!! He is up to 8.5lbs now!
His last weight in was 7.1lbs! I still want him gain more, he would be good at 9lbs. He did not eat much on his own today, but I still got food down him.

I will update when I hear from the vet!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think they will have to sedate him.
You said he is a nice cat.
My Coco has had many ultrasounds and she has never had to be sedated.
Good Luck to your cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of you and Bear today. Great news about the weight gain. You are doing well by him, Bear is a lucky boy to have such a loving caring Mama.

That's also terrific that an anonymous good Samaritan has stepped in to help with the bill.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad everything is working out now!
You will get all the money you need.... you will see... Bear will be taken care of so that you can worry about only loving and caring for him, and not about the money...

Good luck on the ultrasound!!!!!!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here is Bear's SOS thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...90#post2873490 With info on how to help us.

Originally Posted by Carolina

I am glad everything is working out now!
You will get all the money you need.... you will see... Bear will be taken care of so that you can worry about only loving and caring for him, and not about the money...

Good luck on the ultrasound!!!!!!
I would have never imagined that it would work, thank you SO much for the tip!!!!!!
There are some amazing people in this world, and you are one of them!

Originally Posted by mews2much

I do not think they will have to sedate him.
You said he is a nice cat.
My Coco has had many ultrasounds and she has never had to be sedated.
Good Luck to your cat.
I think he will be good! I know he wiggles a lot when I look at his stomach, so the only reason they would need to sedate him is because he isn't staying still - trying to get back on his feet.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by otto

I am thinking of you and Bear today. Great news about the weight gain. You are doing well by him, Bear is a lucky boy to have such a loving caring Mama.

That's also terrific that an anonymous good Samaritan has stepped in to help with the bill.

Thank you for the kind words.
It really does mean a lot to me!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm late reading this, but great news that he's getting his ultrasound today, and I think I'm still in time to send my good vibes!

And how exciting that people are helping you pay for this. I will have to check out your "s.o.s." page myself.