Bear is at the vet. He's very sick, liver looks horrible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes.

LOL! I know, his hair cut is so cute!

He ate about 1/2 cup of chicken today, a few pieces of Iams, and a few pieces of c/d on his own.

Someone sent him a handmade kitty blanket from here: http://peggyskittyblankies.blogspot.com/ and we got it today! He looooves it, he has been laying on it ever since I gave it to him.
She sent a toy too, he played with it until he fell asleep on the blanket. It was cute, he was hugging the toy while he slept.

Yes, I have pics too!

I has a new blankie, cool!

... and a toy!!!

I gets the toy and beats it!

I think it's dead now.

Time to wash.

Best pic for last:

He fell asleep just like that, hugging the toy.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable pictures. Absolutely adorable. I love Bear!

PS I saw Bear's pic on the blankie website!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How sweet of someone to send him his very own get well blankie and toy. And he is so cute with them. Love all of his pictures!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

I am going to make this quick, it's time to feed him.

He didn't feel so great today, her threw up a small amount (normal for him since he's been sick) today. So I wonder if some of his stomach med was in it, because he acts like he does not feel as good today. I didn't give it to him a 2nd time because I am not sure if he threw it up or not.

He was extra wiggley for his SubQ fluids today, the needle fell out in the process and I had to re-poke him
He just wanted to go back in the crate and sleep.

He did play with his toy a little bit, but I can tell he is a little "off" today. He ate about 1/2 cup of chicken on his own, and a few pieces of Iams and Temptations. He is still as yellow as ever, poor guy.

--

He is drinking water RIGHT this second!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay! I haven't seen him drink all day, he hasn't been drinking every day anyways (I give him SubQs tho) but that is GREAT!

I still get up 2x every night to feed him (which is 5hrs between feedings), I don't feel comfortable leaving him all night without eating. He needs food in him, it helps his liver. And I feed him about every 4hrs during the day, depending on if he's ate food on his own and if he's thrown up. If he throws up, I let his tummy rest for an hr or two, then I feed him again.

You guys must think I am feeding him a crazy amount of food, lol. He only gets about 3 tablespoons of food per feeding. Small, frequent meals are best with liver issues. The vet told me to keep doing what I am doing, so I will.

Thanks again for the well wishes, we deff need them!

*edit-I just peeked at Bears pic on the website, lol! I love the captions she used. Cute!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, don't think you're crazy at all. Just a devoted person to their kitty. Hoping things calm down for you.

He could not be in better hands than yours.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not crazy at all. I did the same thing for Bibbs
, getting up every hour, and rushing home every few hours to steam her in the bathroom and for Ootay,
also I arranged my entire life around her care and making sure I was home to feed her every few hours, including getting up in the middle of the night, and will do the same for any other cat of mine.

It's just what we do for them. How can we not, with all the love and joy and pleasure and delight and devotion
they give us?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree completely with farleyv and otto. My Bashful (RIP)
had a feeding tube in him for 4 months and I fed him thru it every 4 hours and I NEVER begrudged doing it. Plus, I have found with Sven, my CRF kitty, that having something on his tummy at all times seems to help with his nausea, so I am constantly trying to get him to at least eat a few treats.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awwwww those pictures of bear on his blanket brought a tear to my eye. so wonderful. and bless you for all teh midnight feedings, I wish there was something I could do for you guys, but I'm still sending vibes for a full recovery. What a wonderful guy.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Nope, don't think you're crazy at all. Just a devoted person to their kitty. Hoping things calm down for you.

He could not be in better hands than yours.
I know you all don't think I am crazy, we all love our kitties.
I think it sounds like I am assist feeding him too much food, but he is only getting about 1 & 1/2 cans of food per day. Thanks for the well wishes!

Originally Posted by otto

That's not crazy at all. I did the same thing for Bibbs
, getting up every hour, and rushing home every few hours to steam her in the bathroom and for Ootay,
also I arranged my entire life around her care and making sure I was home to feed her every few hours, including getting up in the middle of the night, and will do the same for any other cat of mine.

It's just what we do for them. How can we not, with all the love and joy and pleasure and delight and devotion
they give us?
Awwwww, I know that was hard work but waaay worth it.
They would do anything to make us happy, nothing wrong with returning the favor.

Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

I agree completely with farleyv and otto. My Bashful (RIP)
had a feeding tube in him for 4 months and I fed him thru it every 4 hours and I NEVER begrudged doing it. Plus, I have found with Sven, my CRF kitty, that having something on his tummy at all times seems to help with his nausea, so I am constantly trying to get him to at least eat a few treats.
I am the same way, I have no problem taking care of him. It's just something that has to be done, he can't help that he is sick. And I will do everything I can to keep my little fellow from getting worse. Some days it feels like an uphill battle, especially when he does not look too good. But all I can do is try.

Originally Posted by lmunsie

awwwww those pictures of bear on his blanket brought a tear to my eye. so wonderful. and bless you for all teh midnight feedings, I wish there was something I could do for you guys, but I'm still sending vibes for a full recovery. What a wonderful guy.
Don't feel like you did not help us!
First, if I had not read your thread and the other 2 threads about HL I may not have caught this. I would not have known to look for the yellow skin. He probably would not have made it thus far. Second, you did help us!
It may have seemed small to you, but to us that was huge.

Sorry it took a while to update, I promise that if he took a turn for the worse (or for the better!) that I would let all of you know asap. So if you do not hear from me for a day or two, then he is doing about the same.

Yesterday I put him on the bed with me and we took a nap together
, lol! I put his blanket next to me and sat him there, he curled up and went to sleep. When I woke up Cody was on the other end of Bear's blanket, and Bella was about a foot away from him. That is huge because Bella usually hates Bear. She usually bops him on the head. They must sense that he is sick. I was worried though because the vet told me to keep him seperate but they were not touching... so it should be ok. I will have to be more careful next time, but I can not keep him in solitary confiment all day long. It's not fair to him, he can't help that he is sick.

He threw up quiet a bit this morning, but he has kept everything down since then. I am taking the veggi oil back out of his food, it is probably that. I did accidently find out something else he will eat!
Hamburger! Usually only two of my cats will eat hamburger, Poodle and Chicken. But I was eating one and he was very interested so I gave him some and he ate it. So I cut one up for him to eat, and he ate 2 small peices and didn't want anymore. I will try again tomorrow. The hamburgers were cooked on a George Foreman grill with no oil, so they should not be too bad for him.

He did play a little today with his new toy, then he watched the birds at the feeder for a little while. It may just be wishful thinking, but it seemed like his yellow color was just a tiny bit lighter today.

Thanks for your continued vibes everyone!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear he got to nap with you and interact a bit with his buds.

As usual, continued support.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update, I enjoyed so much reading about the nap, and playing and watching the birds! Bear couldn't be in better hands.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm trying to get Sven to eat more, and right now I'm feeding him Boarshed low sodium deli turkey pieces (he doesn't like my home cooked chicken!), but I was wondering if he might like some turkey burger. Maybe I'll cook him up a turkey burger on MY George Foreman and see how he likes it. Thanks! Now my dinner plans have been finalized.

Here's hoping removing the vegie oil from Bear's feedings will help with his nausea

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking of Bear and checking for updates!