Bear is at the vet. He's very sick, liver looks horrible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

I'm trying to get Sven to eat more, and right now I'm feeding him Boarshed low sodium deli turkey pieces (he doesn't like my home cooked chicken!), but I was wondering if he might like some turkey burger. Maybe I'll cook him up a turkey burger on MY George Foreman and see how he likes it. Thanks! Now my dinner plans have been finalized.

Here's hoping removing the vegie oil from Bear's feedings will help with his nausea
How did the turkey burgers go? lol! I didn't even think about using it to cook Bear some food, I just made me something and he wanted it. Then I realized "wow, that is better for him since there is no grease!"

Originally Posted by otto

Thank you for the update, I enjoyed so much reading about the nap, and playing and watching the birds! Bear couldn't be in better hands.

Thanks! I wish I would have got pics, it was so sweet to see Bella and Cody with him.

Bear got worse over the last 3 days, not eating on his own, throwing up 2+ times a day and he felt bad too. I could not keep his stomach med down him and that just made the vomiting worse. Fast forward to today, I finally got him to keep the stomach meds down (and the other meds too) and he feels better-like he did before the last 3 days. I was SO worried that he was taking a turn for the worse. I think it was just a cycle: the oil made him vomit some, he ended up vomiting up the stomach meds because of it, then it got worse since he couldn't keep the stomach med down. No more veggi oil!!!

In case someone needs this info one day: What ended up working was feeding him only one syringe (1 syringe - 1 tbs, he usually gets 3) of food 5 hrs before I gave him the meds, then I gave him 1/2 syringe with his meds, then I waited 5 more hrs before I fed him 2 syringes. I am slowly increasing his amount of food, until we are back at 3 syringes. He next feeding should be 3 syringes, depending on if he throws up between now and then.

He watched the birds at the feeder today, wanted extra lovins, ate 1/2 cup of chicken and a few Temptations, and acted like he felt better than he did the last 2 days.

Someone donated $120 to Bear's fund reccently! I tried to email them a thank you, but their email did not work.... so if you are out there reading this, thank you from the bottom of my heart!
That is going to help me get his bloodwork, meds, Rx food, and SubQ fluids.
The above applies to everyone else who donated too, I just didn't get to email this person a thank you. I emailed everyone else a "thank you" who paid through paypal, since it sends me their email addys.

Thanks again everyone, your support is keeping me sane through all of this.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly you are giving a low dose of steroids to Bear at the moment. If the blood work has not improved you might want to ask the vet if you should increase the steroids for a "short period" because the inflammation could be causing him to throw up and the increased liver #'s. Once you see improvement you can begin decreasing the steroids and hopefully wean him off.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask thank you!

He is only getting 2.5mg per day, I think the usual dose is 5mg per day because that is what he and Cody both were on for crystals.

He is on:
Ursodiol 50mg/once a day
Famotidine (I think this is Pepcid) 5mg/once a day
Metronidazole 1/4 of a 250mg tab/ twice a day
Pred 2.5mg/once a day
Amox liquid 1cc/twice a day
SubQ fluids/100 units per day, if he is vomiting I give him 200 units.

And I give him about 200mg of Milk Thistle per day, if he is not vomiting. I try to divide it up, I read that it's best if you divide the dose into 4 times a day.

Wooo, see why I need a list when I go to the vet? lol

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh okay - the vet is giving a wide spectrum of anibiotics for infection. It doesn't seem to be helping the vomitting/inflammation. So this leaves me to think that this is more of an inflammation issue. And the steroids need to be increased. Was Inflammatory Bowel Disease ever discussed with you? Just throwing things out there that you can discuss with the vet

Why is the Pepcid being given?

Is Bear still on the Denosyl?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denosyl and Denamarin, either one, should be given in the morning, on a completely empty stomach, and then wait at least an hour before feeding.

Otherwise it will do him no good at all, they HAVE to be given on an empty stomach, and no food for an hour, to give it time to reach the liver.

I know what it's like juggling meds, finding the right balance, and finding the right time frames for everything. You're managing well!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Our boy" (lol I like that
) is doing a bit better!

His skin is a little less yellow than this smiley --->
When this all started he was this yellow ---->
with almost an orange tint to it.

He threw up a tiny bit today, but he's been keeping most of his food down. Annnd he ate about 1 cup of Iams in 12hrs!
He ate a mouthful of Friskies-dry-crap-food today and drank a bit of water too! And I got him to eat a tiny bit of dry C/D the other day.

I am soooo happy about his color though! Surely his bloodwork will be better this time??? I am so worried that it will be even worse, since it was worse last time - even though he seemed better. We go in this week for bloodwork, meds, ect.

Thanks everyone! I think/hope he is finally starting to turn the corner.

Originally Posted by Denali

Oh okay - the vet is giving a wide spectrum of anibiotics for infection. It doesn't seem to be helping the vomitting/inflammation. So this leaves me to think that this is more of an inflammation issue. And the steroids need to be increased. Was Inflammatory Bowel Disease ever discussed with you? Just throwing things out there that you can discuss with the vet

Why is the Pepcid being given?

Is Bear still on the Denosyl?
Thanks! I will ask about the anitbiotics. Something is helping, his jaundice is a bit better. Half as yellow as he was when this all started!

He mentioned IBD, but that was as far as he went. Pepcid is because Bear is very barfy without it. When he misses one dose, it is almost impossible to keep ANY food down him... which makes it very hard to keep the next dose of Pepcid down him... it's a cycle. Liver issues make cats/people very nauseous. No way he would eat anything on his own without it.

I thought Denosyl was another name for Ursodiol... kinda like Abigal or whatever? Is it something different? Thanks for your help!!!

Originally Posted by Denali

How did the vet visit go?
We are going in this week.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought Denosyl was another name for Ursodiol...
Yes - Denosyl and Ursodial are two different things. Denosyl contains SAMe which is very good for repairing the liver and liver function http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_same.html. Ursodiol is good for jaundice, removal of toxic bile acids and increases bile flow http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ursodiol.html

What I have learned along the way is the standard practice for liver disease is Denosyl/Denmarin, Milk Thistle and Ursodial. Also, it is very important to figure out if the liver problem has been caused by not eating, bacterial infection or inflammation.

I am anxious to see the blood results....it has been over a month so if he is getting proper treatments for his condition then you should hopefully start to see the #'s come down. But if it is not a bacterial infection and is inflammation (possibly IBD as well) then another course of action will have to take place to get those #'s to come down
and that would be to increase the steroids for a short period.

When do you take him in?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will ask for some. Thanks.

The clinic is walk ins only(appts are only for surgeries). I am going to take him around Weds.

His color has improved a bit over the last few days, I hope his Bilirubin is finally going down.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went in today for his bloodwork. Remember when I said that his color was half as yellow? Well his Bilirubin is half too!!!!! It went from 14.7 to 7ish. Bilirubin should be 0.6 max! The only thing that worries me is that 2 of his levels were a little worse... I am not exatly sure which 2 it was, I forgot to ask for a copy of the bloodwork. An emergency walked in (I was the last person, they were closing) while I was checking out. I am going to call tomorrow and ask them to send me a copy of it.

His weight is the same as last time, 8,5lbs which is perfect for Bear. That is his normal weight. He is a small cat.

The vet tech really liked Bear, she was holding him like a baby over her shoulder and telling him how good he was. The vet (not our regular vet, he wasn't there today) said "wow, he is a really nice looking cat." At least Bear doesn't look sick minus being 1/2 shaved lol.

This vet had no idea what Denosyl was, but he gave me Lipo-Form? He said it was a Liver vitamin... I have to look it up. I found a pet place that sells the Denosyl, I have to figure out how to pay for it though. I will ask about it when I call, if I get to talk to Bear's regular vet.

Pics from this afternoon:

"Come on momma, we need up update the nice people at TCS!" He is standing on the laptop. His Ears match the wall lol.

Poodle: "Bear, you stink like the vets office.... ew."

"I is soooo pretty!"

The fur on his neck is growing back, they shaved it for blood work a month ago at the emergency visit. They take the blood from his inside hind leg now.

His color looks diff in every pic but this pic is pretty accurate for his color.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wooohooo! His bilirubin is coming down! That means something is working - yay!

Was the vet concerned about the two higher numbers? We will wait to hear from you about his blood values later today. This is quite important to know - especially if it is his ALT #

I wouldn't give the Lipo-Form to Bear. I looked it up and it has a bunch of ingredients in it that Bear does not need. Can you ask your regular vet to get some of the Denosyl in for you? The Denosyl or Denmarin is pretty standard practice for Liver problems. It's wierd that the vet doesn't know what this is.

I am also glad to hear that Bear is keeping his weight on. That is a great sign
Way to go Bear!!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update and pictures of our beautiful Bear!

I agree with Denali. I wouldn't be giving my cat anything a vet prescribed who had never even head of denosyl!

I'm a little mixed up though. I thought Bear was on Denamarin (denosyl and marin) . Isn't the sylibin (milk thistle, the "marin" part of the denamarin) what is needed when the bilirubin numbers are high? I don't know, that's why I am asking.

Tolly may need to be switched to from Denosyl to Denamarin some day and I still haven't been able to get my brain around what the difference in need is.

So glad the jaundice is fading, and his bilirubin has been cut in half. It must give you some comfort to know how accurately you are judging Bear's condition!

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a little mixed up though. I thought Bear was on Denamarin (denosyl and marin) . Isn't the sylibin (milk thistle, the "marin" part of the denamarin) what is needed when the bilirubin numbers are high? I don't know, that's why I am asking.
Denosyl and denamrin are the same thing except that the Denamarin has one extra ingredient and comes in a chew form tablet. Denosyl/Denamarin is used for the SAMe which is very good for repairing the liver and liver function http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_same.html. Ursodiol is good for jaundice, when the bilirubin is high, and for removal of toxic bile acids and increases bile flow http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ursodiol.html

I hope this helps a bit

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Woo hoo for the great Bilirubin number!!

And I love, love, love the new pictures. He looks like the sweetest kitty. He actually looks just like my Darko, only half the size.