Awaiting labour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve given her kitten milk she won’t drink it. Last time she drank it it made her vomit.
She’s only eating cat food

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about cream? It has a lot less lactose which usually makes cats vomit. Use the rest in your coffee. Shaking after labor usually means a calcium deficiency.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is mom doing now? It sounds to me like the remaining kittens have dropped into the birth canal and the fluttering may be kitten movement. I’m guessing she’ll go back into labor soon.

For a video, you can upload to YouTube then post the link here.

Jesseaylah Jesseaylah

Last edited:

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how to upload videos to YouTube I’ll see if I can do it.
She’s very content with her one baby.
If nothing happens tonight should I get a scan done

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that is the kittens moving inside.

Since you said she mated between July 12 to 24, these kittens may have been conceived later. It’s a 12-day range. If they were conceived later, and it seems they were, it stands to reason that they will be born later.

Since she is in no distress and no labor, I would wait. Her body should go into labor naturally when the kittens are ready. It could be any day now or a few more days. This is not unheard of. The kittens will just have different birthdays!

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does it look like kittens then? It’s hard to tell as her body definitely looks smaller now and I can’t feel anything because he teets are all big so it’s hard to tell.
I will keep an eye on her to see if I notice any symptoms. Im concerned she won’t alert me like she did the last time because she’s so attached to the baby and not leaving her side. Where as before she was attached to me not leaving my side.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no signs of anymore kittens, tried to feel her tummy but don’t know what I’m feeling for definitely can’t feel any kind of ball like i did with the other one.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just weighed kitten they are now 124grams
Would it be too young to take out to the house to the vet I would like to get them checked over.?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you take mom for a scan, be sure to take the kitten. They need to stay together, and kitten needs to stay warm. Kittens under 3 weeks cannot regulate their own body temperatures. The kitten’s weight is just fine!

Kitten appears to be female.

Let us know what vet says/does.

Jesseaylah Jesseaylah

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve just got terrible anxiety something bad will happen.
My anxiety is worried about mum having dead kittens inside her and now I’m having anxiety kitten will die young because of the traumatic birth it may if swallowed fluid and get pneumonia or that it has brain damage from lack of oxygen because the bag is broken.
I don’t know if I’m being irrational at this point

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I completely understand your anxiety. I think seeing the vet will help to alleviate your feelings. The vet can give mom a scan to see what’s what and give the kitten a quick once-over. I think you’ll get the answers and reassurances that you need right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is eating and drinking and in no distress at present, right?

Kitten is nursing and sleeping and gaining weight, right? If the kitten had swallowed fluid it would already have pneumonia by now. Brain damage would likely have kept it from nursing on its own.

Mom and kitten seem fine so far, unless you tell me otherwise.

There are (or were) two other kittens that were detected on a much earlier scan. They are either still in gestation, or did not develop and were reabsorbed. If they are in utero but not alive, they will be stillborn or mom will begin to feel unwell and will end up at the vet regardless for an induction or C-section.

Do you feel or see kitten movement in mom?

Go ahead and see the vet and get to the bottom of what’s going on. I know it’s anxiety-provoking not knowing!

Jesseaylah Jesseaylah

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah you’re right.
Think I’m just over worrying. I have health anxiety myself I think I’m projecting it into the cats.
They seem fine baby is happy snuggling into mum, mum is eating and drinking lots and going to toilet and enjoying her usual kisses from me. I sit next to the nest every opportunity I get and I just love watching them together and the smell of the nest is so comforting. The kitten is so delicate I guess I read the horror stories on google and think the worst.
Thanks for your continued support. Can’t wait till she’s old enough for snuggles, miss not having my cat on my pillow at night.
I’ll hold off with the vet, I think I’ll do more damage dragging them unnecessarily out the nest.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t see any movement in mum and I can’t feel anything like I felt previously before the little one came.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi no more kittens came, baby is two weeks old now. Everything was going well until I noticed this today.