Awaiting labour

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl mated between 12-24 July
I had a a scan done on the 25 august which confirmed pregnancy.
Since beginning of this week she’s had small amounts blood tinged discharge over the course of the week.
I haven’t noticed any other obvious symptoms that labour is starting.
But I’ve read this discharge could be mucus plug but as labour still hasn’t started and I’m not exactly sure on whether we’ve reached 63 days yet.
I am considering taking her to vet but she seems perfectly happy and being her usual self.
Any advice welcome

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you are not sure when she conceived, I would wait it out. Now, if she becomes distressed or there is a lot of blood, you’ll need immediate care. Otherwise, it sounds like normal pre-labor discharge. Labor should begin any day now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since you are not sure when she conceived, I would wait it out. Now, if she becomes distressed or there is a lot of blood, you’ll need immediate care. Otherwise, it sounds like normal pre-labor discharge. Labor should begin any day now.
thank you. This is what the discharge looked like.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most likely she is in labor. Do you see ripples down her sides yet? Those would be contractions if so. But labor in general is painful, so that may cause her to meow, or just the general situation of her body preparing may have her wanting comfort.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven’t noticed ripples only when I stroked her belly side I noticed movement. She’s chirping and meowing when I’m near her but then stops when I go away

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t have a crystal ball, but it sounds like things are moving quickly. It’s tough to know how long she’s already been in labor. First stage is usually 24 hours, but we don’t know when it started. You may see kittens overnight or tomorrow.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you
It looks like she is pushing every 5 mins or so, how long should I expect this to go on for?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No worries! Where are you located?

What is her pushing posture? If she is actually pushing for an hour with no kitten, you may have an emergency on hand.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she lying down contracting? Or is she sitting up or semi-sitting up with a leg cocked and you actually see her pushing? If so, can you see a kitten or a sac in her vagina?