Awaiting labour

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
is this normal for the other kittens to still be inside this long?
Yes this happens they are born hours inbetween. As long momma is fine no visible trouble you can usually wait and see. Be sure she have calcium in any form you have at hand and she eats or drinks. Because lack of calcium may cause weak labor.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s fine just resting with the kitten.
What is the weigh of the kitten? Preferably in gramnes. It sucks on momma; good, but the easiest way to know if it really gets milk is to see it gains weigh...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, she’s ate some boiled chicken, didn’t want cat food. Not drank any water as yet I’m just making the kitten formula up to give her some.
I will weigh the kitten I didn’t want or touch them too much

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she isn't distressed you can handle them. I wouldn't let small children handle them, they don't know their own strength, or how to be gentle. You said 'them', did she have the others? It is perfectly normal for cats to wait between deliveries, sometimes days. The way to know if it is normal is to observe her, if she is calm and taking care of the kittens, everything is fine. Congratulations, you did well!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is weighing at 3oz
Its not exact enough, because you must know if he gains and exactly how much...

Experienced rescuers and breeders can often feel and see, but for all less experienced, the weighting them, preferably in grammes, is a must.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
btw, 3oz is Ok for a starting weigh, but its no hurray... Margins arent big. Try to get a scale measuring in grammes. Perhaps borrow from a neighbour??
OR be very exact measuring in tenth of oz...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The daily raise should be minimum 6grammes; its about 1/5 oz, but preferably 10g+, its 1/3+ Oz

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I’ll switch the scales to grams it’s digital so can use grams just use to oz.
I’m not experienced breeder as you can tell. This is something I will do once and not again.
She’s a tica registered bengal on the active register. But she is my pet before anything else. It’s an experience I’m proud to be part of and will treasure this moment with her and plan to keep one of the babies. More than likely will be this little one as I’ve already named them Sunday after sundae ice cream colour and born on a Sunday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sunday is a lovely name! She is only 85 grams, if your scale is correct, she is on the small side. Anything under 90 grams is considered premature birth weight, which is why weighing in grams is important. She also has mom’s milk bar to herself for now! And kitten does look very healthy though!

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that’s right it’s 85.050 grams
I hope she’s ok should I supplement with formula or leave her to solely nurse on mum

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let her nurse mom and weigh again in 12 hours. If she’s gaining, let her just continue to nurse. Keep an eye on her.

And when mom goes into labor again and is too busy to nurse, you might want to supplement.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s been about 12 hours. How is the kitten’s weight? And how is mom?

I do hope you’ve had a chance to get some rest by now — I know you were up all night “mid-wifing”.

Just checking in. I know you’re on Scotland time and I’m on Florida time. Do post an update when you can. Hoping all is well on your end!

Jesseaylah Jesseaylah

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is doing fine she has gained weight and is now 92 grams. Mum this morning was acting strange and left baby and was running around but baby cried so she went back to box.
So don’t know if that’s a sign labour is starting again.
But if nothing happens tonight I will be getting an ultrasound done to check if anything is in there still as I she might of reabsorbed them.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had scan done on the 24 august which showed 3 kittens, but guess that’s early enough for something to of happened. She acted strange this morning for sure offered her food she declined. She used litter tray but normally the litter tray is in the catio which she goes to from the window. But I brought it inside

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She likely is still carrying the other 2 kittens. They may still not be quite ready, which is not a bad thing if they can put on more weight before being born. She’ll probably have them soon — give it time. Glad the baby is gaining!

I don’t think you need the vet or a scan yet. Just wait.

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I hope if they are we don’t have any further complications.
If they have resorbed then I’m happy we have one healthy one. Who after such a traumatic birth feel very attached to already

Jesseaylah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No other kittens as yet, can’t post video don’t know how, but towards her tail is like a fluttering motion
Almost feet’s like a vibration.
Should o be concerned?