At wit's end

oliverandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously y'all try zep animal stain remover from Home Depot, works wonderfully (get a black light flashlight and watch) in a minute the mess is gone, you just wash with water after, cheap too

Last edited:

dolface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its great to hear she's starting to come around and you will get some peace with her health, well-being and of course the constant cleaning......good wishes and maybe keep that vet on tap..:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another misfire.

After all the goodness and sweetness of yesterday, I got up at 6a this morning to discover Sassy had peed/marked on the outside of Covered #2 (the one furthest away in the photo).

She walked right by the open-top tub she had been using to go against the front corner of the box.  Ugh.

Since adding Covered #2, though, Striker doesn't seem to use the open-top.  We put it down, didn't show it to either of them, but as he did when we previously relocated it to the basement bathroom, he discovered it and (more or less) claimed it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Exasperating.  If only we could read our cats' minds!  I honestly don't know what more you could do you have been so accommodating with them. Is Sassy saying 'this is MY covered box'? Or is it pure chance and that happens to be where she decided to go?  I don't know is there is some way of creating a sort of corner or flat surface for pee marking without litter, amost like an open fronted two side tray she could opt to spray that the other 2 sides were pretty much cut away  so all they did was contain any mess from spilling over the floor? 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Reference:  Real-life photo of Kitty Bathroom & Storage Room (from cheap cell phone camera).
Thanks for providing this latest pic. Wow, that is a lot of foil! 
How long has all of this foil been in place, or have you added bit by bit?

From the previous pic of the layout, it looks like the kitty washroom is a separate space, and that the litter boxes are outside of this space. Are there other boxes outside of this room?

My impression of the covered boxes is that the opening may be too high, given that your kitties are in their senior years. They (or maybe just Sassy), may need something lower. The higher opening might explain why Sassy is sometimes marking/peeing the front of the box rather than in it, and also why she uses the open-air more often which looks considerably lower.

Depending on the amount of space and location of the entrance, I would make the suggestion to move the open-air box farther to the left in line with the wall so that it is more separate from the covered boxes.

Last edited:

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks for providing this latest pic. Wow, that is a lot of foil! 
How long has all of this foil been in place, or have you added bit by bit?

From the previous pic of the layout, it looks like the kitty washroom is a separate space, and that the litter boxes are outside of this space. Are there other boxes outside of this room?

My impression of the covered boxes is that the opening may be too high, given that your kitties are in their senior years. They (or maybe just Sassy), may need something lower. The higher opening might explain why Sassy is sometimes marking/peeing the front of the box rather than in it, and also why she uses the open-air more often which looks considerably lower.

Depending on the amount of space and location of the entrance, I would make the suggestion to move the open-air box farther to the left in line with the wall so that it is more separate from the covered boxes.
Not foiled all at once, but it started with one corner, then quickly escalated.

No, this is the same room depicted in the simple line drawing on a previous page.  I was unable to adequately render the odd shape of the room in the floor plan drawing.  The picture was taken from the doorway. 

No, there are no other boxes outside of this room.  This is the room we have used for 18+ months, originally with only (2) boxes.

Last edited:

amandatzl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know a few people gave mentioned the idea if a larger box. I have attached a picture if mine that I created when u had cat peeing problems.
the cats seem to like it as it was easy to get in and out of. But they also had privacy as well.

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not foiled all at once, but it started with one corner, then quickly escalated.

No, this is the same room depicted in the simple line drawing on a previous page.  I was unable to adequately render the odd shape of the room in the floor plan drawing.  The picture was taken from the doorway. 

No, there are no other boxes outside of this room.  This is the room we have used for 18+ months, originally with only (2) boxes.
Understood ..

Beyond not wanting to clean urine and feces off the floor every day, I can see why you would like to resolve this situation before moving to the new home. The amount of foil would make for a rather unpleasant sight for guests, but also as cats don't like foil, I don't imagine Striker and Sassy like to be surrounded by it as well.

How are things going today?

If the elimination looks to be stabilizing, perhaps the next step could be to start removing some of the foil and see how this goes?

Continued positive vibes for progress ..

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a few people gave mentioned the idea if a larger box. I have attached a picture if mine that I created when u had cat peeing problems.
the cats seem to like it as it was easy to get in and out of. But they also had privacy as well.
Yes, that looks like a great box, complete with a little mat to catch litter. Nice! 

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Understood ..

Beyond not wanting to clean urine and feces off the floor every day, I can see why you would like to resolve this situation before moving to the new home. The amount of foil would make for a rather unpleasant sight for guests, but also as cats don't like foil, I don't imagine Striker and Sassy like to be surrounded by it as well.

How are things going today?

If the elimination looks to be stabilizing, perhaps the next step could be to start removing some of the foil and see how this goes?

Continued positive vibes for progress ..
See post from earlier.

She bypassed a clean box to pee on the outside of the last-in-line box sometime early this morning.  I discovered it when I woke up and checked at 6a.  Makes no sense to me at all.  Since then, she's back to hiding.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

See post from earlier.

She bypassed a clean box to pee on the outside of the last-in-line box sometime early this morning.  I discovered it when I woke up and checked at 6a.  Makes no sense to me at all.  Since then, she's back to hiding.
Yes, I saw that post .. I was hoping that something positive had since taken place given the lovely day you all had yesterday. Trying to see the positive in this as always.

Re. the comments about the foil, these are not judgements, just observations and thinking out loud. I believe BillChamb has had the same concerns.

Last edited:

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@oneandahalfcats - sorry for the possibly curt Reply above.  I just wasn't sure if the previous post had slipped by.  My apologies.

Oddly enough, this afternoon, she came out and took another nap with me on the couch instead of watching the Olympics.  I was stretched out and she curled up next to me.  Not sure how long we slept.  We woke up a little bit ago.

So far, no other incursions, but I haven't gone to check.

The foil - it began in the corner in the left front of the picture.  When she peed/marked on the "door to the outside, we covered that.  After she peed on the wall at the top of the diagram (behind Covered #2 in photo), I covered that entire wall, and then added the wall along the right side of the photo.  She hadn't done anything on that wall, BUT that is wood paneling and I did not want to risk her targeting that.  The foil on the floor was to try and prevent further open-floor puddles in that area.  Despite multiple clean-ups with Nature's Miracle, she had two incidents where she peed right at the edge of foil (once) and a spiky plastic mat (once) so that it ran under.  The paint on that portion of the floor is starting to be damaged by the repeated pee/cleaning efforts and we don't want it to get any worse.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@oneandahalfcats - sorry for the possibly curt Reply above.  I just wasn't sure if the previous post had slipped by.  My apologies.

Oddly enough, this afternoon, she came out and took another nap with me on the couch instead of watching the Olympics.  I was stretched out and she curled up next to me.  Not sure how long we slept.  We woke up a little bit ago.

So far, no other incursions, but I haven't gone to check.

The foil - it began in the corner in the left front of the picture.  When she peed/marked on the "door to the outside, we covered that.  After she peed on the wall at the top of the diagram (behind Covered #2 in photo), I covered that entire wall, and then added the wall along the right side of the photo.  She hadn't done anything on that wall, BUT that is wood paneling and I did not want to risk her targeting that.  The foil on the floor was to try and prevent further open-floor puddles in that area.  Despite multiple clean-ups with Nature's Miracle, she had two incidents where she peed right at the edge of foil (once) and a spiky plastic mat (once) so that it ran under.  The paint on that portion of the floor is starting to be damaged by the repeated pee/cleaning efforts and we don't want it to get any worse.
Thank you .. No harm done.

Nice to hear that you and Sassy were able to spend some more quality time together .. I don't know her well enough obviously, but it sounds like she may be trying to make some amends with you, for past sins.

I understand re. the foil placement. You are trying to contain this. Sounds like Sassy has covered a lot of miles in that room! It's kind of funny looking at it from the outside in which was on my mind more than anything in my comments above. Sometimes it helps to see the humor in these sorts of things to help keep you from getting too discouraged. 

Hope this week brings a renewed sense of purpose for you and continued progress on the elimination front with Sassy. I have been off for the past week, but will be back at work next, but will look in here from time to time. Take care.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@oneandahalfcats, I agree wholeheartedly on the value of both humour and having a view from the outside as that can very often be where the insight comes from.  The benefits and perils of posting and asking for advice and support on any site.  Thankfully this site is mostly full of incredibly caring and supportive people who have one thing in common - a love of cats.  I echo your sentiments for continued progress and a renewed sense of purpose for the coming week. 

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our early evening box check = Sassy had peed and had a diarrhea splatter in the open-top; bad enough to scrape off the side wall.  Really not sure what is going on in that belly...but, at least it was all in a box!

Will check/clean once more before bedtime.

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And AGAIN! 

Checked/Cleaned boxes before 11 pm last night.

At 5 am this morning, there was a spot of diarrhea in the open-top, a bit of Sassy pee in Covered #1 (the center box), BUT she left a big puddle on the open floor directly in front of Covered #1.

There was a Striker clump in Covered #2.

Honestly, what on earth is this about!?!?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And AGAIN! 

Checked/Cleaned boxes before 11 pm last night.

At 5 am this morning, there was a spot of diarrhea in the open-top, a bit of Sassy pee in Covered #1 (the center box), BUT she left a big puddle on the open floor directly in front of Covered #1.

There was a Striker clump in Covered #2.

Honestly, what on earth is this about!?!?
Good morning ,,

Along with Striker, have you started giving Sassy the Z/D food again, or is she still on the Blue Buffalo? If yes, the sudden switch back or back to the previous food could be causing the diarrhea.

The situation at this point just doesn't yield too many more clues. Sassy has been checked out sufficiently to rule out medical issues, and the recent bonding has been a  positive sign that she must be feeling better. The only thing I can think of is that the covered boxes are proving to be too high for her at this point. Does she have any issues with climbing into, onto or out of things?

I had started to make the suggestion in a previous post, but omitted it. You might want to try removing the lid from one of the covered boxes as a next step.

Last edited: