At wit's end

shirazi1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before we moved her I had two cats and one of them started doing this out of no where. She would urinate in one of the walk in closets on my husbands or son to be stuff, but never anything of mine or in my closet. I really do not think she liked my husband and was jealous of baby to be since husband did not want them in his room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh my gosh .. You might just be in the home stretch here BillChamb. I sure hope so. Great progress!

My husband and I have retired friends with grown children, who have quite a few cats (like about 12-14 last time we visited) that they have taken in (no names here to protect the innocent as this kind of goes against the local by-laws). Anyway, they have a really lovely, high-end home, and have a setup in the basement in two separate rooms for all the cats where they have built square wooden sandbox type enclosures, in which the litter boxes sit. This contains litter that gets tracked out of the box, as well as any accidents. It occurred to me that you could do something similar at the new home, in placing all open-air tubs on a large mat with a lip or preferably a plastic tray that could contain any future spraying.

Here is a link to one example of a large tray used in the printing industry, for reference : http://www.hawthornprintmaker.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=667

If you google images for 'large plastic trays', you will find a lot of other examples.
Awesome!

We were looking at various home/hardware stores for a large version of a "boot tray" to do exactly that.  Even considered truck bed liners or hard plastic car floor mats, specifically because of the lip/edge to contain material.  We will definitely give those a look.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
3 days / nights, this is well worth a celebration.  You all must feel so much better for this as it is undeniable improvement.  The large, low level access tray investigations sound like a great idea in anticipation of the love and further testing of what Sassy manages best with.

You are amazing cat parents persevering like this and finding some way to help Sassy and Striker through what ever has been going on for them.

Will continue to send good vibes and looking out for updates. 

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make it a 4th!

Even after breaking up a feline spat between the two at who-knows-what hour, things were still neat and tidy this morning.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Make it a 4th!

Even after breaking up a feline spat between the two at who-knows-what hour, things were still neat and tidy this morning.
Wow, clear even after fur flying, you must be very relieved with this one.  Hope it wasn't a serious spat, though if it took a human to interene it wasn't a light tussle.  

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minor spat, really, but enough noise to wake me from sleep.  I initially thought it was part of some dream.  Stumbled out of bed into the hallway to shoo them away from one another.  That was enough to create silence for the remainder of the sleeping hours (or close enough).

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dare I say...make it a 5th!  YES, indeed.

So the current status is:  Sassy has successfully not gone outside a box for 5 overnights. 

Medication-wise, she is only on the Amitriptylin and a tiny dose of daily fiber over food.  No more Prednisone, no more Pro-Biotic. 

Her behavior has normalized, closer to the personality we know and love. 

Her stool has finally taken on substantial form with no diarrhea present, at least for a couple of days.

She (and Striker) are back to eating 100% ZD, without separation.

While she has used Covered #1 and Covered #2 on occasion, she seems to be sticking to the open-top.  Fortunately, it also seems that Striker has forsaken any claim on the open-top and waffles between #1 and #2.

I honestly can't figure out specifically what actually brought things back in line, but I/we are VERY happy, although still a little guarded.  Unless there is something significant to add, I will slow down on the updating of this thread.

On the human side of the equation, I am 2 weeks away from beginning my new work in a new place, and the house deal we had been trying to close has completely broken down.  We will not be purchasing a house, but will end up likely moving twice within a year.  At this point, this is our only option.  We are making arrangements to secure a rental townhouse that accepts cats.  This, for many reasons, is less than ideal, but we are out of time and other options at the moment.  HUGE swings of emotion.

Thanks to everyone for questions, advice, support, encouragement, and empathy.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on 5 straight days of clean overnights! Way to go Sassy!

You might have to change the title of this thread from 'At Wits end' to maybe 'I was At my Wits End but Hard Work and Patience paid off' !

The positive trend points to a very high possibility that you are seeing an end to the difficulties. Really glad to hear that Sassy's stools are also getting back to normal.

Sorry to hear that the house purchase fell through. You must be disappointed but sound like you are taking it well in your stride .. My belief is that when things don't work out its usually because there is a much better situation right around the corner, just waiting to fall into your lap.
The new place might not be ideal in every respect, but at least now that you have gone through this you are a seasoned pro and better armed in knowing what you can do in advance to head off any potential issues. Installing Feliway plug-ins before the cats arrive at the new home that Rosieglow mentioned, is a really excellent idea that could make a huge difference. Large trays for the litter boxes to sit in will also help to contain future spills. Maybe put a scratching post and/or some toys in the area where the litter boxes will be. Anything that can help make the space inviting and comfortable for Sassy and Striker will go along way to creating a positive beginning.

I wish you and your wife all the best going forward, good luck with your new work, and thanks to both of you for being such loving, caring, patient and hard-working cat parents.

Do keep in touch and let us know how things are going! Take care BillChamb.

Last edited:

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news! Fingers crossed it continues to go well, and do keep in touch :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   What an amazing place to get to.  You have been incredibly patient and supportive of both your cats and they are so lucky to have you guys as parents.  I hope in the nicest way possible that we do not see more regular posts from you about Sassy and Striker, and that all continues to stay on a level from now.  I share @oneandahalfcats' view that when something doesn't go our way there is something meant for us that will follow later.  May your new job go well, the move go smoothly, and a more permanent home be found that you all fall in love with once you are in the area you are looking in.  As you have said before Sassy and Striker are used to moving with you so hopefully the next few months will not be too distressing for them, simply another step further away from what ever the problem has been recently.  

therese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that things are settling down for the cats...I know that 'holding our breath' feeling.....I did the same for the last ten days but with fingers crossed, my Scamp has not peed on any rugs, and I have continued the Feliway spray on all pee spots....hey whatever works....sorry your moving plans are askew now, but at least the cats seem to be falling in line, thank God !

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just happened to drop in at the tail end of this string where Blue Buffalo food is mentioned in the same sentence with diarrhea.  I am not sure if it has been discussed anywhere on this site but Blue Buffalo has been having sporadic food problems with both cat and dog foods for quite some time and while the food itself is good and was fine for people for awhile, in the past year there have been LOTS of problems, yet noting that can be batched.  Blue Buffalo is another food, like Iams, that has now been purchased y Proctor & Gamble, and although their meat may be all from the USA, their VITAMINS can come from China, and China's controls are spotty at best.  I will enclose the link about the string of complaints.  Because of this, I personally would NOT use Blue Buffalo food at this time (or Nutro, which has also been having problems).  Everyone on here should at least read the string of what is now up to 514 complaints.  It does seem that Blue Buffalo is getting better, but whatever went on has sickened and killed both cats and dogs so why take a chance?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just happened to drop in at the tail end of this string where Blue Buffalo food is mentioned in the same sentence with diarrhea.  I am not sure if it has been discussed anywhere on this site but Blue Buffalo has been having sporadic food problems with both cat and dog foods for quite some time and while the food itself is good and was fine for people for awhile, in the past year there have been LOTS of problems, yet noting that can be batched.  Blue Buffalo is another food, like Iams, that has now been purchased y Proctor & Gamble, and although their meat may be all from the USA, their VITAMINS can come from China, and China's controls are spotty at best.  I will enclose the link about the string of complaints.  Because of this, I personally would NOT use Blue Buffalo food at this time (or Nutro, which has also been having problems).  Everyone on here should at least read the string of what is now up to 514 complaints.  It does seem that Blue Buffalo is getting better, but whatever went on has sickened and killed both cats and dogs so why take a chance?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html
I believe the OP has got his cats back on 100% ZD. He decided on Blue Buffalo after reading through links to several similar complaints about ZD. See links posted in previous comments.

Unfortunately, the reality is that a lot of dry food diets on the market will at some time cause problems for pets, just by virtue of the manufacturing process and problems with the source of ingredients. There was a massive recall of Royal Canin in 2007 due to contamination and melamine found in several of the varieties after complaints of pets getting sick and dying due to kidney failure. A lot of efforts and improvements have been made by Royal Canin to clean things up so that consumers can once again feel confident in the product. While there are numerous complaints against Blue Buffalo, there are also some positive experiences with it as well. Hopefully Blue Buffalo are making the same efforts to improve their food.

I think it is important for pet owners to be aware that all pet foods (even top brands) can develop problems from time to time. The important thing is to do some research and due diligence in checking into recalls, reading consumer reports, as well as talking with other pet owners, before buying.

Last edited:

oliverandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am always careful not to use any products from China, the products cannot be trusted!

If you don't know where it comes from ask!

cmmullig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look forward to seeing replies, I just brought home an    end October arrival  --- 6 wk kitten and start December 6month kitten so my 8 cats age 12yr to 8 yr have been somewhat pissed, am seeing much more marking of territory in spite of 15 litter boxes in the den, kitchen laundry room study area they live in.  there has always been a bit of poop in front of the boxes activity

the one more litter box than cats has been carried a little farther in my home

i live by myself and work one job 40-50 hr week, then do some rental property care on weekends

this is only problem solving speculation:

maybe a kitty condo with her own litter box and cover?

i'm thinking something  3.5 x 2.5 x 4 feet or bigger with shelves, then drape a sheet over it and let her live in there only feeding her in there so it is hers only and then when you can separate her in one room and spend quality time would be great i don't know what others might think and i know it is not cat like suggestion but just giving her her own space, in one room other guy doesn't come in

if anybody has done this i would love to see your comments i do use my condo that side to feed the kittens their chow in and have used it for my 19 yr old high output renal failure frail scrawny now deceased little old lady cat for her feeding before that

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Giving any new cat a room of its own to start is a good idea, and then do space swapping so they get used to each others smells before actually seeing the others.  The new kitten is so much younger than the others that they may not be interested.  I recommend adding 2 kittens at one time if you are blending with older cats.  The kittens will play with each other and not bother the older cats.  The older cats can just watch and stay aloof or join in later, as they choose.  Also, the Feliway Diffuser with friendly cat pheremones is a good idea.  You can find them online, or in most pet specialty stores although they cost more in the stores of course.

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh. 

Made it 11 days.  Woke up this morning to a puddle on the floor in front of the open-top tub.  She had peed and managed a wee little bit of formed stool in that same tub.

We really have had a good stretch; she is socializing well, still.

A couple of nights ago, she had a diarrhea accident on the floor, but we are sure its because (for some reason) after bedtime pan cleaning, and before waking up, Sassy and Striker had an outright bathroom party.  All boxes were full of multiple "hits," leaving her no other place to go.

But this morning's problem...I don't know.  One of the covered boxes, which she has used very appropriately over these past 11 days, was completely empty.

I hope and pray this is an isolated occurrence.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Uh-oh. 

Made it 11 days.  Woke up this morning to a puddle on the floor in front of the open-top tub.  She had peed and managed a wee little bit of formed stool in that same tub.

We really have had a good stretch; she is socializing well, still.

A couple of nights ago, she had a diarrhea accident on the floor, but we are sure its because (for some reason) after bedtime pan cleaning, and before waking up, Sassy and Striker had an outright bathroom party.  All boxes were full of multiple "hits," leaving her no other place to go.

But this morning's problem...I don't know.  One of the covered boxes, which she has used very appropriately over these past 11 days, was completely empty.

I hope and pray this is an isolated occurrence.
Chances are very good that this is what it was ... You have had a good run and there is no reason why it shouldn't continue. Just keep on with the same course and consider this just a temporary blip 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one female who starts out squatting low but by the time she has finished peeing she is shooting it right out of the box by raising her butt.  In her room, I have covered boxes, but in my back hall I have an uncovered box.  She makes a puddle beside it but not because all 4 feet are not in the box, but just because she raises her butt.  I just mention this because you said the puddle was in front of the UNcovered box....

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have one female who starts out squatting low but by the time she has finished peeing she is shooting it right out of the box by raising her butt.  In her room, I have covered boxes, but in my back hall I have an uncovered box.  She makes a puddle beside it but not because all 4 feet are not in the box, but just because she raises her butt.  I just mention this because you said the puddle was in front of the UNcovered box....
Thanks for your post.  My/Our experience tells us this is a four feet on the ground incident.  As indicated much earlier in this extended thread, Sassy IS a "high-riser" when she goes; pretty much always has been.

If you take a look at the photo posted earlier, the open top tub is high enough to contain her, with little to no likelihood she artfully aimed out the "door."

We will wait and watch, hoping for no more repeat offenses.