Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Artiemom don't worry about us right now! Just keep your focus on sweet Artie, and let us know when you can, and only if you feel like it.

I think what you're planning on bringing to the vet is great, just log off here, and be a mommy for Artie, like you've been doing.

Know that we're all on your side, whatever happens. We all love you ;)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow too. 

Then, wednesday, is Sammy's turn. Going for her dental cleaning & one extraction. Poor thing won't understand why she isn't getting morning food, or can't go out!  It will only be her 3rd time to the vets, & 1st time being left. I always say "I'll be back" when I leave the house, so hope she will understand when I say that at drop off.  

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow too. :hugs:

Then, wednesday, is Sammy's turn. Going for her dental cleaning & one extraction. Poor thing won't understand why she isn't getting morning food, or can't go out!  It will only be her 3rd time to the vets, & 1st time being left. I always say "I'll be back" when I leave the house, so hope she will understand when I say that at drop off.  
Ahh yes tooth extraction not fun for anyone. I went through the same thing with my Hector's rear lower molar the thing had two giant roots if you can believe it. Hope she doesn't get a dry socket infection like Hector did.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh yes tooth extraction not fun for anyone. I went through the same thing with my Hector's rear lower molar the thing had two giant roots if you can believe it. Hope she doesn't get a dry socket infection like Hector did.

Yikes! Dry socket. I hope not either. Never thought of a cat getting those.
Well it's a top one on the back left side.
Angel had two extractions bilaterally on the bottom, but on two separate cleanings, & he was OK.
(Both were middle bottom).
I just couldn't remember if he came home w/ antibiotics after an extraction, or not?
Just went & looked at the old invoices in Angels file, & nope, just the pain meds. The one that starts w/ a B. Not even going to try to spell it! ....Already put the file away.
That reminds me. I need to get one of those little medical record keeper books for Sammy. One of those unfortunately didn't last for Angel after his cystitis, & dentals. I ended up making some sheets on the computer for him & printing them out & making a folder.

Last edited:

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping you and Artie in my thoughts and prayers.
Hope the visit goes well with the new vet.
Will be thinking of you both and will be with you in spirit. angels mommy angels mommy Hope all goes well with Sammy and his dental. Prayers and thoughts are with you always.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all with you in spirit today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe as you travel, I'll be praying you get the answers you need for our Sweet Artie Boy
Note to Artie, 

Things could be worse buddy. lol  just trying to lighten the mood. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo  love you guys, xoxohope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update before I really get going.

I gave Artie his first meds: the cisapride and pepcid which he has been vomiting up.. I gave the pepcid first, with just a tiny bit of water--he was shocked at the small amount.. I then gave him the cisapride liquid. No vomiting!! no upset stomach.. so that is the trick.. no miralax mixed with the water, and give the cisapride after the pepcid.

He ate about 1/4 of a can for breakfast.

Artie ate 1/3 of a can during the night. He came into bed early this morning for a short time. 

I did not sleep well last night. Up early and cruised the web for a while.. now I have to get going...

Artie needs 2 more meds.. so I have to get going..will be leaving in over an hour..

thanks all 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping you and Artie in my thoughts and prayers.
Hope the visit goes well with the new vet.
Will be thinking of you both and will be with you in spirit. angels mommy angels mommy Hope all goes well with Sammy and his dental. Prayers and thoughts are with you always.

Just checking the thread quickly before I get ready this morning. Said a prayer for Artie & the appt.

@Lovinickey, lol, thanks, Sammy is a She. Maybe you missed that back on her thread after finding out at the vets bk when I took her in for shots. ;). Kept the name, since she was already learning it. It's just for Samantha now, instead of Samuel. ;)

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Can't wait for the update!  Good luck today, you and Artie baby are on my mind this morning!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
We are back... so happy with the N Vet.. @LTS3  I will forever be in your debt--thank you so much.. I feel a huge relief .. I actually had tears in my eyes driving home. tears of relief and joy...

Ok---EVIL hospital never sent Artie's biopsy pathology report. That is important to know what type of cells.. (who would have know?)

also, DID NOT SEND his current blood tests!!! OMG!   or his echocardiogram report!! OMG>..IDIOTS!! IDIOTS! IDIOTS!!!!

I had all that stuff at home. I should have taken it.. my gut told me to, but I said to myself,  "no way, I asked the supervisor for all his reports to be faxed"  Little did I know that the supervisor cannot be trusted at the EVIL hospital!!

The Vet did the entire exam himself, the tech was transcribing...and when Artie had his blood drawn, he transcribed his findings and then he explained things to me.. making sure I understood.

Actually he came into the waiting room to get us.. They have carts to put your cat carrier on, to make it easier for you. The N Vet even pushed the cart for me both ways; in and out... that is really nice..

He explained that he did not know anything about Hound & Gatos food; but if it is helping stabilize Artie, then fine. He would like to try some different things, but he needs an cardio consult for it--echo... it has been a while and since he is on prednisolone, and his heart murmur.. it is time to have an echo.. Once we know where we are with the heart, we can try to change some things around; like food, steroid dose, sub-q's... it is all trial and error. That is how it goes with IBD...

He is not certain that Artie has a motility issue.. or if it is just the IBD.. and who knows about the MegaColon... cats are usually constipated for up to a week. Artie has not been.. I catch things early. 

Also did a Vit B 12 test.. He did notice Artie's little limp.. but said that we can deal with that in the future. We have a lot on our list for the future.. the echo/cardio is first.. up to me as to when and where I want to get it done..

He also said the lactulose dose is very low...I was shocked ... said Artie is on a lot of meds.. the idea of a novel protein diet is to eliminate any and all meds.. but obviously, that was never tried with the S VET.....

I also told him that I really started charting things to decide on my own what was helping. He kind of snickered and said,, "you were alone"...... also told him that the ER Vet did not know about cyproheptadine as a substitute for Mirtazapine.. He commented that it sounded so "old school"....

He will call me tomorrow with the results.. if not I am to call him the next day; but I am to contact him.. not to take it as, no news is good news.... he said he may just be too busy that day to call. but too definitely call him...

N Vet gave Artie such a good exam.. even rectal.. and Artie was so good.. I was holding him. He is really not much poop in him.. 

We need to know if a high residue or a low residue diet is better for him.. 

so we are starting at square one..with the IBD diagnosis.. The N Vet is not advocating another biopsy.. 

I asked about his vaccinations, since they were due early this month.. he said no vaccinations because of the IBD... ok!! that is what I thought.... just the rabies...

He even wheeled the cart out for me!!

I had to give him a hug.. he gave me a really genuine smile.. he was rushed but took his time with us.. 

I am sure he felt it was a wasted appointment because he did not have all the information for an appropriate visit.. and he must have been so frustrated at the Evil Hospital.. I can imagine.. I have seen it on that end when I was working.. 

I had tears of relief on the way home.. have to call for a cardio consult, echo... Artie needs it in order to move forward.

The commute is not the best, but I kind of know most of the area.. not the area where the hospital is located but a good portion of the way. I used to work in the Boston Medical Area.. have my medical care there and my dads was there also.. so I know some of the roads..

Now I know how my patients used to feel.. when they had sub-optimal care in the suburbs and then came into my department, which was a referral center, for state of the art care... now I am on the other side of the coin..

I think I need to run to church to thank God and LTS3...

This is definitely one of, if not the best animal hospital in the country.. 

Last edited:

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very happy for you and Artie. Wonderful you are satisfied with the new vet and the care Artie is receiving. The waiting is over and now things can only get better. Prayers have been answered.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that is a good result. I bet you must feel so much better and that you are not handling it on your own. I could not be happier for you. Enjoy the evening, both you and Artie must feel exhausted. Treat yourself to a glass of wine and get a good nights sleep. So happy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.