Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry Artie is having a bad day which means you are too. Not long to go before you see the new vet so keep positive.
Artie, poop please.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending *PRAYERS* and best thoughts for Artie, and for you!  May you have safe, smooth journeys there and back, and may Artie return to his happy, healthy, good days.  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thinking of you both today.  Almost N Vet time!  I just have a feeling that a fresh look and a sympathetic mind will do wonders for BOTH OF YOU!  Hang in there!

and a BIG 

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he does have an upset stomach from the hairball. My cats usually cough up several times to totally get rid of them. If he does have a hairball it will be taking up room in his belly and he won't be hungry.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks Stephen... How's Mabel?
and @2Cats4everLoved

Mabel continues to do great, happy and eats like a piggy.  2Cats, you may not know this but she was diagnosed about 1.5 months ago with liver cancer following a biopsy done when we had her gall bladder removed, so the prognosis is poor, but she doesn't know she's ill, and when she starts to go down hill we won't let her suffer.  She's had almost a full year in her new home and we're glad we were able to rpovide that for her.

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Artie!! Meph is having a couple of bad days too. I don't know if it was the food (was it the salmon or the beef or both!?) or the weather (another storm started, COINCIDENCE!?) but she's a bit constipated. I put about 1/8tsp petroleum jelly on her paw last night and this morning and was rewarded with firm tootsies at lunch time. Raining hard and she's hiding. She did chow down the last two days so I think there's more poop in there.

Poop Artie, poop! Poop Mephi, poop!

I emailed the vet prior to the poop present and he told me to increase her lactulose. Meph hasn't taken lactulose in weeks 
 She was doing so well so I'm going to add a little miralax to her food tonight. Hopefully she maintains her appetite (up to 4-5oz/daily now, yay!!).

Hang in there Mama Artie, the visit will be here soon! I hope you can get more food too. That price on Amazon is outrageous. $134?!

Sending you both love 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Just called for a confirmation of my appointment and if I need to bring any info.. I intend to bring my calendars, and my logs.. I bring a ton of stuff.. and the poor man, N Vet.. he has all my notes... he has already earned his money, just trying to decipher these....

It will take about 40 minutes for me to get there.  I plan on giving myself at least an hour, just for traffic, registration, etc...I hope Artie can last that long... he hates stops and starts in the car.. one even speed without turns is the best for him.. but he is not getting it...
If N  vet's secretary took all your info when she scheduled your appointment, check in will just take a few minutes for the front desk to confirm your arrival and notify N vet and his vet tech. The hospital used to call a day or two ahead of time with an appointment reminder but they haven't done that in awhile.

Traffic is unpredictable so allow yourself plenty of time to get there. I was just there today with the mice and traffic on the street the hospital is on is pretty bad in the first blockor two between the trains, new traffic signals on the other side of the bridge on the city border which causes traffic to back up in both directions, and construction of luxury apartments. Once you get past the VA hospital, it's fine. Are you taking the tunnel or the Tobin to get into the city?

We need poop and a good appetite, Artie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie did not eat much yesterday, either... thinking he may be getting blocked again.. and absolutely no poop either!!   Not much during the night either.. no cuddle in bed... felt kind of good not to have a straight jacket on, but again, I was worried if he was ok...Then I tried to tell myself, that only when he is not feeling well, does he cuddle...

Artie was very "HAPPY" last night!  too much. I had to stop him at 4 times!! I let him go on because it is good exercise for 'those' muscles.. and he needs them to be working!

I did get some poop smears on the fuzzy throw.... sigh..but I am giving him poop stuff--increase a bit lately.....Really getting disheartened.. 

To my surprise, He ate really well this morning!!! He ate 1/4 of a large can of food!! I was shocked!! He was waiting for it also.. He initially walked away, but he could not resist.. He knows he is not getting different food.. this is it...

I was on line for a while, He was in the other room, then cam over to sit, stare at me, and then lay down, right in front of me.. I thought something was up.. I got up, he went over to be brushed.. then turned around and went towards the litter box.. hmmmmmm no poop.. in position for pee, but none.. hmmmmmm..

he left the area, went into the second bedroom, I started picking him up, cuddling him, and massaging his belly.. I did that a few times.. we did a mini-chase... he went back into his bathroom, started digging... 

Artie pooped!!!  a nice pile.. it is very soft.. any softer and it would be diarrhea.. but he pooped..

perhaps because he is eating a new food, and it does not have any additives, just lamb and duck liver..nothing else...he will not be pooping as much.. 

It has been almost 3 weeks since he started this new food... I think now is the time frame where we will be seeing the effects of the food. It is in his system, completely.. and it should be doing it's job, now....

He is happy now.. he ate, he peed, he pooped, He is now in his quilt tent.. gotta give him the rest of his meds.. and sub-q's...

I am planning on staying home, airing out the house, dumping trash, making a salad for supper.--should be nice today-- and cleaning a bit.. need to wash the floors, but with the wrists and shoulder issues.. I am not sure.. need to dust, vacuum and clean bathroom.. sigh.. so much to do.. but I am not planning on going out tomorrow either--except for church.. 

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good boy Artie!   Sounds like you are starting off the day relaxed. Good for you! You deserve a quiet peaceful day.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I couldn't agree more. Sounds like things may be finding a new norm, a new balance so to speak w/ the new food, as you said. He may not need to poop every day now.
You do much, always so much to do....I know. But try to take it easy a bit. Only do what you have to for the weekend.
Definitely be careful w/ your wrist & shoulder.
Darn, see, if I were there, I could help you out, between my cleaning business, & my 20 yrs of massage therapy! :)
Do you have a brace or wrap for your wrist? Does it help?
Icing, & Aleve? I don't remember reading about what the issues are w/ them.
Wish I was there to help.....
HUGS!!!!

Kelly

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I couldn't agree more. Sounds like things may be finding a new norm, a new balance so to speak w/ the new food, as you said. He may not need to poop every day now.
You do much, always so much to do....I know. But try to take it easy a bit. Only do what you have to for the weekend.
Definitely be careful w/ your wrist & shoulder.
Darn, see, if I were there, I could help you out, between my cleaning business, & my 20 yrs of massage therapy!

Do you have a brace or wrap for your wrist? Does it help?
Icing, & Aleve? I don't remember reading about what the issues are w/ them.
Wish I was there to help.....
HUGS!!!!

Kelly
Oh, thank you so much!!  you are so sweet...

I am very lazy today.. so much to do, and just being lazy again... 

tummy is on the fritz... so lazy...

I will not be doing 1/4 of what I planned.. it always goes like that. I have the windows open a bit, listening to music.. just hanging out.. gotta do something in-between, but not a project..

My wrists are an occupational hazard.. call it repetitive stress syndrome; carpal tunnel, whatever you want to call it. I used to work, Ultrasound, using a wrist brace.. never saw a doctor for it. The brace usually helped.. and I only did what I could do. Very prominent injury with my profession. Between the right hand for the ultrasound probe and the left for the machine/controls/computer; I am bound to have issues...The brace and some arthritis strength Tylenol usually help.. I think it was atmospheric.. 

They are better today, but the strength is not there..I do what I can..

Artie was so good for his Sub-Q's... again, I was late getting to them.. But he did not mind. All he does is put his ears back. I make sure the bag is nice and warm, and flush the line to make sure it is warm. I also wait until he is nice and comfy in his quilt/tent. I just pull back the top cover and stick him...I put a hook up on the wall for the bag.. I do not care how it looks.. it is white and I have white walls.. 

I found some Springy decorations and hung them around. Artie was following and watching me.. As I was hanging a wreath on the apartment door, he ran out.. the door swung closed as he was running out. I got the door open, he was so afraid!! He was waiting right outside the door for it to open!! He ran right back in as soon as the door opened!! He is a scardey cat!!! 

He cannot get out.. it is a wing.. and closed off.. there are 7 apartments on this side and 8 on the other side; an elevator, and stairs with a fire door.. someone would have to physically have to let him off this floor. 

He is sleeping now.. 

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

>SNIP<

Traffic is unpredictable so allow yourself plenty of time to get there. I was just there today with the mice and traffic on the street the hospital is on is pretty bad in the first blockor two between the trains, new traffic signals on the other side of the bridge on the city border which causes traffic to back up in both directions, and construction of luxury apartments. Once you get past the VA hospital, it's fine. Are you taking the tunnel or the Tobin to get into the city?

>SNIP<

Artie did not eat much yesterday, either... thinking he may be getting blocked again.. and absolutely no poop either!!   Not much during the night either.. no cuddle in bed... felt kind of good not to have a straight jacket on, but again, I was worried if he was ok...Then I tried to tell myself, that only when he is not feeling well, does he cuddle...

Artie was very "HAPPY" last night!  too much. I had to stop him at 4 times!! I let him go on because it is good exercise for 'those' muscles.. and he needs them to be working!

I did get some poop smears on the fuzzy throw.... sigh..but I am giving him poop stuff--increase a bit lately.....Really getting disheartened.. 

To my surprise, He ate really well this morning!!! He ate 1/4 of a large can of food!! I was shocked!! He was waiting for it also.. He initially walked away, but he could not resist.. He knows he is not getting different food.. this is it...

I was on line for a while, He was in the other room, then cam over to sit, stare at me, and then lay down, right in front of me.. I thought something was up.. I got up, he went over to be brushed.. then turned around and went towards the litter box.. hmmmmmm no poop.. in position for pee, but none.. hmmmmmm..

he left the area, went into the second bedroom, I started picking him up, cuddling him, and massaging his belly.. I did that a few times.. we did a mini-chase... he went back into his bathroom, started digging... 

Artie pooped!!!  a nice pile.. it is very soft.. any softer and it would be diarrhea.. but he pooped..

perhaps because he is eating a new food, and it does not have any additives, just lamb and duck liver..nothing else...he will not be pooping as much.. 

It has been almost 3 weeks since he started this new food... I think now is the time frame where we will be seeing the effects of the food. It is in his system, completely.. and it should be doing it's job, now....

He is happy now.. he ate, he peed, he pooped, He is now in his quilt tent.. gotta give him the rest of his meds.. and sub-q's...

I am planning on staying home, airing out the house, dumping trash, making a salad for supper.--should be nice today-- and cleaning a bit.. need to wash the floors, but with the wrists and shoulder issues.. I am not sure.. need to dust, vacuum and clean bathroom.. sigh.. so much to do.. but I am not planning on going out tomorrow either--except for church.. 
OH GOOD NEWS!  Poop AND eating again!  AND the trip to N Vet is now being counted in HOURS!  I'm thinking that we are seeing a new norm with the new food.  Very low residue, so not needing a daily poop.  Which will (if logic prevails, and with cats, you never know) be somewhat easier on his system.  Not so much straining and such.  

Bless his heart, I know he freaked when he scooted out and realized THE DOOR CLOSED!  But it was a short panic.  Mama got him right back in!  Hekitty darted out (and here, out is OUT) once.  I freaked out, but she just froze, then meowed to get back in.  If I am sitting outside, she wants to come with me.  I got her a harness for Christmas, but it won't fit around her pudgy little self, so I have to get a larger one.   And a chip.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent progress, Artie man!  Keep up the great work!  

Sounds like you are an expert at Sub-Q now! 

Wishing you both a very good weekend. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, thank you so much!!  you are so sweet...

I am very lazy today.. so much to do, and just being lazy again... 

tummy is on the fritz... so lazy...

I will not be doing 1/4 of what I planned.. it always goes like that. I have the windows open a bit, listening to music.. just hanging out.. gotta do something in-between, but not a project..

My wrists are an occupational hazard.. call it repetitive stress syndrome; carpal tunnel, whatever you want to call it. I used to work, Ultrasound, using a wrist brace.. never saw a doctor for it. The brace usually helped.. and I only did what I could do. Very prominent injury with my profession. Between the right hand for the ultrasound probe and the left for the machine/controls/computer; I am bound to have issues...The brace and some arthritis strength Tylenol usually help.. I think it was atmospheric.. 

They are better today, but the strength is not there..I do what I can..

Artie was so good for his Sub-Q's... again, I was late getting to them.. But he did not mind. All he does is put his ears back. I make sure the bag is nice and warm, and flush the line to make sure it is warm. I also wait until he is nice and comfy in his quilt/tent. I just pull back the top cover and stick him...I put a hook up on the wall for the bag.. I do not care how it looks.. it is white and I have white walls.. 

I found some Springy decorations and hung them around. Artie was following and watching me.. As I was hanging a wreath on the apartment door, he ran out.. the door swung closed as he was running out. I got the door open, he was so afraid!! He was waiting right outside the door for it to open!! He ran right back in as soon as the door opened!! He is a scardey cat!!! 

He cannot get out.. it is a wing.. and closed off.. there are 7 apartments on this side and 8 on the other side; an elevator, and stairs with a fire door.. someone would have to physically have to let him off this floor. 

He is sleeping now.. 
Ahhh, that's right, ultrasound. I remember now. Yes, I can imagine how it must feel. Repetitive use, like my low back from vacuuming & mopping!  

Artie is such a good boy. I can't believe he just lays there for fluids. I used to have to hold Angel down a little. Of course I also had those awful big 18 gauge needles too!  I will never use those again, but I hope I never have to do that again anyway. 

That's funny he ran out, but sat right by the door! Good thing it's all closed in up there. 

I hope you can have a relaxing day tomorrow.  I'm going to try & do that myself. It was 73 today, so i got out & went walking. supposed to be the same tomorrow, so may do it tomorrow too, but will see how I feel.

Sometimes ya just need a day on the couch, catching up on shows.....relaxing! 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Artie, just three more days
Keep on pooping and eating!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
thanks...

Artie ate pretty well today.. almost 1/3 of a large can.. no poop... The day is not over!!!

He slept a good portion of the morning. Woke him up for some meds, he came out of this quilt/tent, going right over to get brushed!! Man is he trained!! of course I had to oblige.. I tried to play with him a bit.. he is bored, but he followed Da Bee into my bedroom. I was holding on to the handle, looking out the window, back to him.. I thought we were done playing.. Da Bee was on the rug. All of a sudden I felt something tugging at it. I looked down and saw his paws coming out from the 90 degree corner of the bed-- under the hanging bedspread.. it was so funny! Wish I had a video of it..   All you saw was one paw, and then the other.. no body visible..he was under the corner of the bed!!

You could not see his body, only his paws coming out, grabbing Da Bee... so funny...then he ran away....

He wanted to go out in the corridor.. Crazy cat!! I had to tell him NO! Get Boo-Boo....

Artie followed me around as I was collecting trash to dump.. I put the large trash bag down, he attacked the plastic strings to munch on-- plastic fetish... I actually had to carry that bag around everywhere I went; with him following me.. If I put it down, he attacked it again!! 

Crazy Cat... 

Artie, just three more days
Keep on pooping and eating!
Nah... by my calculations-- 2 more days!! I do not count today... something I learned when I was working...

Artie did cuddle last night.. not straight jacket, but I did run into him on my bed ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.