Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think she will give up the cat nip when the kittens arrive?  Is the nest big enough for the jar of cat nip and kittens?   Will the kittens be born with a craving for cat nip? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No labor. :( she's sleeping peacefully on my side of the bed, on top of my comforter, so I'm curled up with a sheet. Little booger. I had to laugh out loud at the thought of newborn kittens craving catnip. She'll have to give it up when the kittens get here because I don't want her kittens rolling around in it. I have a bowl of it in my room and a jar in the living room but I won't put it in with her kittens. I'm not sure she's ever had catnip so maybe the novelty of it will eventually wear off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's so pretty! I'm glad she can enjoy some of the things that other cats have always had and take for granted - like a home, regular meals, love, and catnip. The kittens will come when they come!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read this whole thread.

She is a beautiful lady and so lucky to have found you to take her in at this time in her life.

As far as the catnip goes, I had two cats YEARS ago and they had completely different reactions to it. One would eat it, roll around in it and literally act stoned. The other it would drive wild. She would bounce off the walls and run through the house like a wild cat.

I could only give them some once a week because of I was afraid of their reactions to it, but they LOVED it.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol. Very welcome. So far, I see no results though. We're about to have a people's court. Or kittens court. Polka is absolutely miserable. She keeps looking at me with these eyes that are begging me to make her feel better. She wants me to rub her belly all day and bites me when I stop.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, polka is definitely out of sorts today. She usually wants to be out in the living room or kitchen with everyone. I haven't been able to get her out of my bedroom for 7 hours now. She stays on my bed and if I leave the room, she quickly goes under the bed and waits for me to return. She has also been eating even more (I didn't think that was possible) and when she's not eating, she's sleeping.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No update on polka yet but wanted to give you guys a dose of cuteness. This is one of our current foster kitties. We took in the 2 gray kittens
in the litter and this one was about the size of a newborn kitten even though she was almost 2 weeks old. Her pelvic bone protruded so far that it was like a handle sticking up off her back. Our vet told us not to be hard on ourselves if she didn't survive because she was so weak. The first few days I had her, I tube fed her with a syringe and infusion tube because she was too weak to wake up and eat. She had to be wormed very early on as her poor stomach was so bloated with worms. The deworming almost took her from us. It caused diarrhea and hyperemesis which resulted in us having to give her sub-Q fluids a few times and putting her back on tube feeds. A couple weeks ago, we realized we were out of the woods with her. Her appetite is strong and so is she. I think she will be a kitten that doesn't go up for adoption. She started out at 139 grams. She now weighs 15oz! She's 8 weeks old so she's still very small but given her rough start, she might always be small. We have begun weaning from the bottle now that she is able to lap from a bowl and eat enough food to continue gaining weight. She is reluctant to wean though and puts herself to sleep suckling my face, fingers, whatever is handy really.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is a very heartwarming story! You really pulled her through. That took a lot of work! So glad she is doing well now. I hope Polka has her kittens soon!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is so sweet!!! She is such a pretty kitty.

Sending good vibes to Polka to have her babies today 

Here is a kitty stork to give her some incentive   

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No news yet but I've been seeing the kittens move for 3 weeks now. It's making me very nervous.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol! No I haven't but it sounds like very scientifically sound advice so I suppose I'll try it. Everything I've read says kittens can be seen moving around for the last 2 weeks. Do you think it's okay that it's been 3 weeks now?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes.   It's actually the last 2-3 weeks you can see them moving.  Kittens who are well done fare better than those who come too soon.  How is Polka acting today?  You can also rub her tummy.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She loves belly rubs. I rub her tummy all day long and most of the night. She's acting normal. Eating a lot and sleeping a lot. She looks miserable. Just makes me nervous. I really like polka and don't want her in trouble.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does litter size affect how early movement can be seen?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would assume more kitties would be noticeable sooner as they take up more room.  So you have a vet you can contact?  @sarthur2 took her cat to the vet and had her x-rayed and found out how many kittens and how far along she was.