Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's not in pain though. She's doing the howling, rubbing attention seeking in heat thing.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. She's not doing as persistently today and she is still nursing so I'm going to wait until her last 2 kittens wean and see where that leaves her. Unless more alarming symptoms arise, then I'll take her in quickly.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of Chanel's nipples has started producing very small amounts of stickiness. Probably colostrum which surprises me since I don't think she's close to labor.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was so skinny I wonder if she was farther along in her pregnancy. The owner lied to you about lots of things . . .

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The owner was honest about this though. She admitted to having no idea when Chanel got pregnant. We figured her due date like this....... Based on my research and the information from our vet, a pregnant cat doesn't become visibly pregnant until 5 weeks along. When we got her, she was so skinny that her pregnancy was probably visible sooner than normal so we calculated that she was probably 4 to 4 1/2 weeks when her pregnancy became visible. That puts her due date at August 24th or possibly later. Unless my assumptions are wrong, which of course I could be. I've been wrong before. One time. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Possibly. Obviously I'm no pro with the mamas. Lol. Give me kittens and I'm okay. Chanel's nipples get extremely dry and crusty throughout the day and I can tell it itches because she'll periodically gnaw at them and when I massage the crust off of them, her desire to gnaw subsides. Earlier today I was massaging the dead skin crust off of them and one of them produced just enough colostrum to make my thumb a little sticky. So it isn't a lot yet. She has an extra nipple that's a little smaller than the other 8. It'll be interesting to see if it's functional. Maybe I'm a little strange for wondering. Lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put some olive or vegetable oil on her nipples to relieve the dryness and give her some relief. I'm guessing she's within a week of giving birth.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chanel's appetite has picked up but nothing else has changed so far. I decided to order something called the Kitnip box. It's a monthly subscription box for 20.00 and every month you receive an array of cat toys, treats, etc. Do any of you receive these? I'm excited but I hope it's not a bunch of stupid stuff.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Kitnip box. My cats always get a bunch of things that they enjoy. Sometimes some of the stuff is stupid (I thought last month's box was lame, but all the others have been good) but my cats literally get excited when they see the box so I think it is worth the twenty dollars for sure. I don't get one with treats since my first cat is soooooooooooooooooo picky, it wouldn't be worth trying. Polka should love Kitnip box, they're really big on things that have catnip in them, so much so that some people who's cats don't have the catnip reaction often complain.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a call from our vet today asking if we could take in a 5 week old kitten. Her mama was killed when the neighbor backed over her. I said we couldn't but we agreed to hold onto her until 8 tonight when another foster could get here to pick her up. She's dehydrated and covered in fleas so I immediately fed her, waited a couple hours and bathed her in dawn soap. After getting her dry, I left her with the heating pad and went to the kitchen for some lunch. 5 minutes later, this cat is nowhere to be found. Searched high and low and eventually found her in the spare bathroom. Polka stole her! I brought her back to the living room and polka immediately took her away again. I think we might hold onto her. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji] the polka has spoken.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
LOL. Polka is the mother of all mothers!

Keep her for now. She needs a mom! Is she the little black kitten? Too sweet :).

You can put a tiny dot of flea medicine on her neck if need be.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We will hold onto her for now. I'm going to have to bathe her again. The fleas are SO bad!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can put an ear swab amount of topical flea medicine on the back of her neck. If you don't, all your pets will get fleas again.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put some on her. I have all our cats back on a routine of vectra. It's the best stuff I've ever used. I shouldn't have stopped using it in the first place. But all our cats should be protected. Some good vacuuming every day should take care of the issue. The vet tech who dropped her off here saw Mona Lisa and said it looks like she has partial albinism. Kinda cool.