Approximate delivery day for this mama kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, just had an interesting situation but it just confirms that Chanel absolutely does understand communication more than she reciprocates. Nutty broke into Chanel's room. All I heard was a low humming growl so I went to investigate and found them in the room together. Both laying down facing each other, dead still, steady growling at one another. I sat between them to mediate but didn't block their views and started petting both of them. Nutty stopped immediately but Chanel started growling louder so I used my fingers and did a quick hard "nip" on her scruff. She let out a big hiss at me and I nipped her again. She quit. Immediately. Her whole demeanor went completely submissive. So she does "get it". Good news I suppose.

As far as contacting someone, I did. There's a rescue in the county I got Chanel from that a few people recommended to me and I talked to a lady there. I gave them all the info I had but when I asked if she could let me know what happens, she said she can't usually do that, especially if child services gets involved or any investigation goes on.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep waiting for it to make the news or facebook.  There was a house in Chicago that made local news.  Almost 100 black cats in a house.  The rescues and shelters were scrambling to find fosters and supplies to care for them.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It won't make the news here. It's too common. If there were 100 cats, maybe there would be mention of it but my guess is about 15-20 adult cats and 3-4 litters of kittens. Which is still a drastic number of cats in terrible conditions but not news worthy. Most places around here won't even intervene when it comes to cats.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chanel has turned into a picky eater overnight. I fed her yesterday evening and this morning, it was untouched so I gave her fresh food. About an hour ago, 2pm, it was untouched again so I gave her some chicken in gravy. She's slurping down the gravy but won't eat the chicken. I don't know what she wants from me but she can't afford to not eat.

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea. I've now given her all 3 wet foods that she usually scarfs down. On average, she eats 2 cans of cat food per day. By this time each day, she's eaten about 1 1/2. I know that many cats stop eating before birth but it seems like she still has too far to go to have stopped eating. And she's still acting entirely normal otherwise.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry, her behavior is normal you say, If she is in early stages of labor, she won't feel like eating. like was sai. I say just keep an eye on her, as of course you are and have been all along, and watch her habits. Is she acting like she wants to "nest"? I remember with Suzie, when her labor started she clung close to me like glue, and then when the panting began, I knew it was "SHOW TIME"!!! You know she is a healthy kitty now since she has been with you, With every moment, the time is getting shorter!! (Smiley face, I need to download some emoticons, darn it)

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's not having any nesting behavior. I'd be less concerned if she was though. At least then I'd know why she doesn't want to eat. I think she only has 2 kittens, thank goodness, which is probably why she appears so much smaller thank polka was. Maybe her due date is sooner than we think. I was just having a nice feel around her stomach and one of her kittens is HUGE. Because she is still thin, it was easy to make out the head, neck, shoulders and body. It takes up the entire length of her abdomen. [emoji]128576[/emoji] and it kicks really hard. May have to call him Bruce Lee. [emoji]128569[/emoji]

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Fingers crossed for Chanel that she doesn't feel sick in any way - whether it is some early labour type feelings or perhaps that the kittens are getting so big it's harder for her to eat much with her small frame.   She can't afford to go loosing any weight.

It was shocking to see those first pictures of Chanel and somehow the new picture next to one of them shows even more how emaciated she was - and still is.  I can't imagine she would have survived this pregnancy without your care.   She's certainly a tough little cookie with her little stand-off with Nutty.   Good that she took a lead from you.  

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chanel will eat treats. Spoiled girl. She's chowing down on catnip treats. :-/

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't make the news here. It's too common. If there were 100 cats, maybe there would be mention of it but my guess is about 15-20 adult cats and 3-4 litters of kittens. Which is still a drastic number of cats in terrible conditions but not news worthy. Most places around here won't even intervene when it comes to cats.
Won't the baby's situation be newsworthy?

sweetlynn86

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope. Nothing newsworthy. If protective services gets involved, it's confidential anyways. They are polkas treats but I have about 20 bags so polka won't notice. She was eating a lot of kitten food but doesn't want any of it now.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not having any nesting behavior. I'd be less concerned if she was though. At least then I'd know why she doesn't want to eat. I think she only has 2 kittens, thank goodness, which is probably why she appears so much smaller thank polka was. Maybe her due date is sooner than we think. I was just having a nice feel around her stomach and one of her kittens is HUGE. Because she is still thin, it was easy to make out the head, neck, shoulders and body. It takes up the entire length of her abdomen. [emoji]128576[/emoji] and it kicks really hard. May have to call him Bruce Lee. [emoji]128569[/emoji]
And if it's a girl?