Angel isn't doing well :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get recovery by royal canin where you are? It's what I gave my lotto when he wouldn't eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, no, the Atenolol shouldn't affect his appetite. Just a blood pressure pill. It doesn't affect mine.
I know we are different though.
No, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him any of the appetite stimulant. He was already only getting 1/8 a pill because he is so sensitive.

As far as the other food, @Stewball, he will be back at the vets Monday, so will find out then, but that's a Rx line anyway, so wouldn't be able to get it before than anyway.

I have already given him the pkt w/ all his favorites, chicken, duck & tuna.

Maybe I will open another can & see if he eats it. He likes the duck & green pea Nat. Bal. So I will try that. I did give him some of the blue wilderness chicken & turkey soft treats after his pill & he ate all 3, so gave him his dish, & he ate some, but didn't continue. I will give him a little more time & see if he eats before I open another can.

I already had a little breakdown cry after pilling (took 2 tries) him because that capsule is so damn big, but it helps because I can put his Atenolol & 1/4 pepcid In It & be done!

Last edited:

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you try baby food? Get the chicken and make sure no garlic or onion powder. Use it as a topper for regular cat food. Also FortiFlora works great too. I know how scary it is when they don t eat because of the liver thing [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji] for you both. I have placed a special prayer in my prayer box for you both.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Looking at different medications can be so hard @Angels mommy.  I;m not sure about the Amytriptylene with the other treatments that Angel is on, overall health, and now the heart issues.   Amytriptylene can affect heart rhythms and should be used very cautiously where heart problems are present as far as I am aware, and also if there are any concerns about kidneys or Thyroid.   Hopefully when you see the vet on Monday they will have some ideas on what the alternatives are.   With Angel being sensitive to a few of the medications I am sure they will want to err on the side of caution.

Are the capsules you use coated in any way to make them easier to swallow / slip down the throat?  If not, is there anything that could be used like that for him?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Looking at different medications can be so hard @Angels mommy
.  I;m not sure about the Amytriptylene with the other treatments that Angel is on, overall health, and now the heart issues.   Amytriptylene can affect heart rhythms and should be used very cautiously where heart problems are present as far as I am aware, and also if there are any concerns about kidneys or Thyroid.   Hopefully when you see the vet on Monday they will have some ideas on what the alternatives are.   With Angel being sensitive to a few of the medications I am sure they will want to err on the side of caution.

Are the capsules you use coated in any way to make them easier to swallow / slip down the throat?  If not, is there anything that could be used like that for him?
Butter works wonders for this. I let my cat lick butter then pill her as well as roll butter around the pill. Pill her with it.then give her babyfood on my finger as thank you for allowing me to pill her

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, no the capsules are normal capsules, and are big! I'll have to take a picture & show you
I have to use the piller w/ them. Butter is a good idea, BUT, they are so big, they barely stay in the Piller, & would slip out with butter on them for sure!
I finally just had to syringe feed him. He didn't go for the duck on his own.
I filled the 3 tsp syringe twice & I think almost another half of one, so around 8 tsps of food. Almost all of the 1/3 can & water I fixed, so he got 1/4 can maybe??
It was not easy
I sat on the kitchen floor, & put him between my legs, facing right, & w/ my left leg almost on his hinney to hold him, & kind of wrapped an old hand towel across his chest like a bib, but also to try & keep his arms still. I had to hold under his neck, so he would stay still, & little by little, get some in the side of his mouth.
Poor thing, he was grumbling the whole time. It was tourture. After I cleaned us up, I went in the bathroom & cried it out! ...Glad my neighbors aren't home!!

Something else I have just noticed today that really concerns me. On his throat, about where we would feel on a person if their glands are swollen, i feel them on both sides, but, the left side feels bigger, like a marble!
I wonder what it is & maybe a reason for not eating.
Now I have that to worry about.
I just have to get through tomorrow, & now can't wait to get to the vets on Monday!
Just from what all of you are saying, I think forget about the amatriptyline!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys, no the capsules are normal capsules, and are big! I'll have to take a picture & show you
I have to use the piller w/ them. Butter is a good idea, BUT, they are so big, they barely stay in the Piller, & would slip out with butter on them for sure!
I finally just had to syringe feed him. He didn't go for the duck on his own.
I filled the 3 tsp syringe twice & I think almost another half of one, so around 8 tsps of food. Almost all of the 1/3 can & water I fixed, so he got 1/4 can maybe??
It was not easy
I sat on the kitchen floor, & put him between my legs, facing right, & w/ my left leg almost on his hinney to hold him, & kind of wrapped an old hand towel across his chest like a bib, but also to try & keep his arms still. I had to hold under his neck, so he would stay still, & little by little, get some in the side of his mouth.
Poor thing, he was grumbling the whole time. It was tourture. After I cleaned us up, I went in the bathroom & cried it out! ...Glad my neighbors aren't home!!

Something else I have just noticed today that really concerns me. On his throat, about where we would feel on a person if their glands are swollen, i feel them on both sides, but, the left side feels bigger, like a marble!
I wonder what it is & maybe a reason for not eating.
Now I have that to worry about.
I just have to get through tomorrow, & now can't wait to get to the vets on Monday!
Just from what all of you are saying, I think forget about the amatriptyline!
   Angel
feel better and eat for your Mommy! 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Psychomama, I forgot, yes I have tried baby food, & yup, I know about no seasoning in it. He didn't go for it like he had on the past. I can try again though, but I think after tonight, he won't want anything.

Here is the capsule you guys,

Here it is next to a regular one, my probiotic

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks margd!!!!

Thanks Eric, yea those big capsules are terrible!! Syringe feeding was horrible!! I really hope I don't have to do it tomorrow!

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it has not been a good morning. Here are the daily logs so far telling why. I just emailed his vet to catch her up, & will see what she says, if I hear back from her today. I just wanted her to be caught up on the logs since Friday, so she can check him out. I'm really concerned about those bumps. The one on his left feels the size of a gumball!  

Here is a pict from this morning, you can almost see it under his ear there. 

We need some strong prayer going on right now. I sure did lots of that last night, even praying over him!  

1/30/16  Today has not been good.

He has not wanted to eat all day.

I offered a couple of times this am, & he took a few licks at best. I put it away, to try again later, since he has only eaten in the afternoon the past couple of days. Tried again in the afternoon, & same results,  Only a few licks, some on his own, but not enough. Not even close to half.  I tried again in the evening, & he wanted nothing to do w/ it, completely turning his head.

Finally at around 7:30, I syringe fed him. It was horrible!  I sat on the kitchen floor, him between my legs facing right, w/ my left leg kind of on his hinney to sort of hold him. Left hand to hold under his mouth, so I could slowly give him some food w/ my right hand. Slowly in the side of his mouth, like you're supposed to. Giving him little breaks in between. He groaned the whole time. I managed to get about 2 & ½ syringes full In him, so maybe 7 tsps?  (Large 3tsp syringe)

I had fixed ⅓ can of the duck & green pea w/ water, & there was maybe approx 1-2 tablespoons lft, so he got ¼ can maybe??  Not a lot for the whole day, even if all his few licks make it up to ⅓ can, still not a lot for a day. After cleaning us up,  I felt so bad, I went & cried in the bathroom after!  He must have thought I was torturing him!  

I really pray I don't have to do that tomorrow!

Something else I have noticed, & am worried about. Right where we would feel on a person if their glands are swollen, I feel bumps. The one on the left feels bigger, like a marble. I hope it's nothing bad, but I have not felt them there before. ...worried if that has anything to do w/ him not eating a lot.

I also noticed when he is laying on his right side, the lump feels more under his ear, so shifted a little, depending on how he is, but definitely in that gland area, like on us.

At least he is sleeping out on the floor now, & not under the couch, or in his box. He is dreaming, I can tell.

“Probably fighting me off in his dream!” :(    since he is sleeping, I counted his breaths, & was 24, so that's good.

I can’t wait for his apt. On Monday now!

I may put some food out for him tonight to see if he will eat any, but I doubt it. He didn't touch what I left out last night. I have thrown so much food away! Can't afford to do that every day!

There was a good pee & about a 3” poop in the litter box this am, so that's good, but of course not eating until tonight, none since, so maybe overnight again.

It has to get better, just 8 more weeks of treatment to go! He has done so well up to now, ..for the most part, considering. I just want my baby to feel better, & to play again.

He got in his box around 11:30. I gave him a Tramadol before I went to bed at 12:00. I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't be in any pain over night.

I am REALLY concerned about his throat now! Just doesn't feel right.

I don't know how well I'm going to sleep tonight.  Anytime I'm up, I will be checking on him.

12:30am & I hear him in the litter box, so that's good.

1/31/16 I woke up @ 5:00 am. checked on him, & he was laying on the floor near the air purifier again. He seems to like that. He was near his tree, so reached up, still kind of laying down, & did some scratches on the post. I gave him some scratches behind his ears & he started that loud purring again, not normal purring, more like he did on Thursday afternoon.  stopped, so he would hopefully settle down, & stop purring. It scared me. I think his mouth was cracked open again during it as well, so worried about the bumps & him purring that way again, I was ready to take him into the ER.  I went & brushed my teeth real quick, checked on him again, & he had settled back into normal breathing. Took his breaths per min. & were 28-29, so ok. 31 a few minutes later, so still ok range. Got up this am. & he is under the couch resting. He looks so tired, you can tell he does not feel well. I started petting his head & he started purring, but a normal purr this time. I hate to do it, but am going to have to pull him out to give him his meds.

I have been trying to do it at 9:00 every morning, but just didn’t want to disturb him & have waited. It’s almost 10:20 now, so will do it. (!/2 pred & probiotic). I am going to see if I can get him to eat some baby food. If not, I may go to the store today, & buy a fishy food he may eat.

Normally he doesn’t get much fish if any at all, but he HAS to eat.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly I am sorry that Angel has hit a rough patch. Is it possible that the bump has something to do with a dental issue, perhaps an abscess of sorts?   that might explain why he is not eating. Please let us know how the both of you are doing. Sending you lots of 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kelly I am sorry that Angel has hit a rough patch. Is it possible that the bump has something to do with a dental issue, perhaps an abscess of sorts?   that might explain why he is not eating. Please let us know how the both of you are doing. Sending you lots of 

Thanks Eric, I just heard back from his vet, & it doesn't sound good. She said it could be the lymphoma progressing, which is so hard to believe, when it has shrunk the tumors in his abdomen. 

Here is her response. 

The lumps are probably his lymph nodes. This could mean that the lymphoma is progressing. [emoji]128546[/emoji] It is a difficult line to walk as far as treatment is concerned as part of the lymphoma treatment is steroids/fluids but both of those are bad for the heart. We need to put a feeding tube in him, which we should do tomorrow (esophagostomy tube) as you have seen how hard syringe feeding is. That way you can give meds/food via the tube without having to give him anything by mouth. Unless he is panting/breathing with his mouth open, there is no need for ER visit. If you want to bring him in at 8:30, we can evaluate him and place the feeding tube, and do chemo. Feel free to email with any other concerns/questions today. Talk to you soon.  

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Praying for you both. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road. I know how helpless you feel but you are everything you can for him . YourDoc will guide you. Pray to St Francis for Angel. I don t know your religious background but he is the patron saint of animals When Psycho was sick last year I prayed to him and got a St Francis medal that Psycho wears all the time. I will continue praying for you both.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am really sorry to hear about this and worried right along with you.  Angel was doing so well.   Sending all sorts of healing vibes and thoughts his way. 
And lots of concern for you.  Wish I could give you a (((hug))) in person. 
  Please Angel, feel better!  

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks Eric, I just heard back from his vet, & it doesn't sound good. She said it could be the lymphoma progressing, which is so hard to believe, when it has shrunk the tumors in his abdomen. 

Here is her response. 

The lumps are probably his lymph nodes. This could mean that the lymphoma is progressing. [emoji]128546[/emoji] It is a difficult line to walk as far as treatment is concerned as part of the lymphoma treatment is steroids/fluids but both of those are bad for the heart. We need to put a feeding tube in him, which we should do tomorrow (esophagostomy tube) as you have seen how hard syringe feeding is. That way you can give meds/food via the tube without having to give him anything by mouth. Unless he is panting/breathing with his mouth open, there is no need for ER visit. If you want to bring him in at 8:30, we can evaluate him and place the feeding tube, and do chemo. Feel free to email with any other concerns/questions today. Talk to you soon.  

That's what I was afraid of when I saw you mention the lumps. Hopefully the vet will be able to help him tomorrow so he is able to take steps toward getting better. Poor Angel. 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh No!!!!!! I am sitting here tears streaming, praying that it is something minor and not the cancer. I can't imagine what you are going through right now. 

Status
Not open for further replies.