American Idol - ***Spoilers inside***

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched (almost) the whole thing for the first time this season. I had caught pieces and parts and Anoop and a couple others just annoyed me, but when I saw they were all gone, I figured I'd watch it.

Having no previous history from which to base anything on, I have to say that Allison was the only one that I really liked. She sang the hell out of Janis, and pulled off the attitude with that song.

I know the judges swooned over Adam, but I thought he butchered Led Zeppelin. Someone really needs to tell him that he can chill on the makeup - this isn't theater. TV makes him look like a wannabe drag queen when he's wearing more makeup than Paula and Kara combined. It works on Broadway, not on a televised show.

Kris was
totally boring, but maybe he really was just in a bad genre for his style.

Danny sounded good until he tried - and FAILED - to do the falsetto verse like Steven Tyler. The whole verse was horrid, but that last note was cringe-inducing. There's a ton of good rock songs that would still be outside his comfort zone and difficult to sing without having that effect. Give him credit for trying, but that was a bad failure and I can't believe he didn't know his own vocal limitations.

As bad as I thought Danny did, I think Kris is going home. Danny will get the pity vote, and sometimes that's enough. Heck it carried Taylor Hicks to winning the whole thing.
Kris was worse than bad...he was forgettable.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't watched a full episode until last night, either; the only reason I watched was because I couldn't find anything else. It's been a bad season, IMO. I've seen the bits and pieces on YouTube just to keep up with things.

know the judges swooned over Adam, but I thought he butchered Led Zeppelin. Someone really needs to tell him that he can chill on the makeup - this isn't theater. TV makes him look like a wannabe drag queen when he's wearing more makeup than Paula and Kara combined. It works on Broadway, not on a televised show.
I agree. I find him very cocky (I guess some folks would say he's just confident), acting almost as if he has a sense of entitlement. Even tho' I don't care for him, I do think he has the best voice of the group---which really isn't saying much because I don't think any of them are in the same league as David Cook, Chris Daughtrey, or Carrie Underwood.

Even tho I don't think he's the best, I've been hoping Danny wins this year. I think it will all come down to which age group sends in the most votes. (like last season when David Cook got the 'cougar' vote
)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe Adam is gay and it's not unusual for gay men to wear makeup. It doesn't affect his talent so it shouldn't be an issue. I was at the Eaton Centre MAC store a couple weekends ago and one of the young men working there had mega-makeup on. The only annoying thing about it was that he looked better than I ever did even 30 years ago.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I believe Adam is gay and it's not unusual for gay men to wear makeup. It doesn't affect his talent so it shouldn't be an issue. I was at the Eaton Centre MAC store a couple weekends ago and one of the young men working there had mega-makeup on. The only annoying thing about it was that he looked better than I ever did even 30 years ago.
I agree. Some weeks he doesn't wear it. He had more on last night to go along with the whole rock image thing. All the hair bands used to wear tons of makeup
I don't care what he wears or doesn't. I think he's an outstanding singer.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adam's wearing the make-up because he's theatrical, not because he's gay. Most gay men do not wear make-up in their day to day lives and I'm sure Adam doesn't either

That said, Adam does do drag-queen actually, at least there are pictures out there of it
I really like Adam, but he should be on Broadway, not in a recording studio, JMO. Allison rocked it last night, i don't know what the heck the judges were talking about
Their duet was great!!!

This is Kris' worst week, by FAR. He is a bit forgettable, but very, very talented

I have never liked Danny, although last week, was a good performance but last night was
and the due with him and Kris was bad bad bad. When Danny started to sing he looked like was so uncomfortable and scared out of his mind!

I hope it will be either Kris or Danny gone tonight- I can't take 2 major disappointments in one week if Allison leaves

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Adam's wearing the make-up because he's theatrical, not because he's gay. Most gay men do not wear make-up in their day to day lives and I'm sure Adam doesn't either
That's exactly why I said "I believe" Adam is gay. And being onstage at AI isn't exactly "day-to-day life".

As to talent, I think Adam and Allison have the most talent so I hope it actually comes down to either of them. I don't believe it will matter which one actually wins since both of them will probably have a great career ahead of them.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's exactly why I said "I believe" Adam is gay. And being onstage at AI isn't exactly "day-to-day life".

As to talent, I think Adam and Allison have the most talent so I hope it actually comes down to either of them. I don't believe it will matter which one actually wins since both of them will probably have a great career ahead of them.
and I totally agree with the judges last night in that Adam and Allison should record a duet together!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

you were correct in stating that Adam is gay, because, well, he is
but, if I remember correctly, Clay Aiken never wore make-up, so it must be that Adam is theatrical!

on a side note, can anyone believe that they had Slash as the mentor!?
wow, talk about a great role model

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adam might be a bit "flamboyant" for the tween scene.

In my view, Adam and Allison both rocked last night.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very few singers around that can sing Whole Lotta Love and do it justice. Adam rocked it last night. Plus the band was having a blast, the lead guitarist was jamming. I read one review today that said the song was Whole Lotta Lovin. How can someone that makes that mistake be allowed to critique the song?

I have loved Allison all season, I don't know why people don't like her. She has the same natural talent that LeAnne Rimes had as a youngster. Allison will be a star and one that has longevity.

I liked Kris's performance. I also thought he was better than Danny in the duet. Danny just looked and sounded uncomfortable in that duet.
Kris may not be a "rock star" but he put his spin on a classic Beatles tune and had fun doing it. I don't think he deserved the bashing he got by the judges. He is quiet and not a performer at all..yes hate to say it, forgettable. He is a good singer though.

Danny.... last night should not be allowed to be shown again on anything....EVER! He destroyed a classic Aerosmith song. I give him an F- for effort, he should have know better than to even attempt it. Talk about self indulgence. There are plenty of songs he could have chosen that he would not have slaughtered. Then to laugh and say he didn't think it was that bad? Yuck. He has a particular talent, but I don't see him being a big star or one that lasts long. I just really don't like the guys singing all that much at all.

katiemae1277:eek:n a side note, can anyone believe that they had Slash as the mentor!?
wow, talk about a great role model

Roflmao, I was thinking the same thing. He is one of, if not the best, rock guitarists of the past two decades though, sure what that has to do with singing LOL.

Has anyone else noticed the "send them home" song this year is Carrie Underwood singing Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home. Vince Neil was in the audience a couple of weeks ago. Talk about bad role models, doesn't get much worse than the Crue.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bust out laughing when Danny went screamo. His amazing performances made this one spectacularly bad. Really hoping he doesn't go home on account of that one.. especially when they replayed the worst part at the end of the show.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I believe Adam is gay and it's not unusual for gay men to wear makeup.
Meaning, not usually but not unusual. If you live in downtown Toronto you may find it actually more usual than unusual even in every day life.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

you were correct in stating that Adam is gay, because, well, he is
but, if I remember correctly, Clay Aiken never wore make-up, so it must be that Adam is theatrical!
I believe anyone who goes on camera on TV wears makeup including the the males. I know when my SIL was working in TV everyone did at her TV station so I'm pretty sure Clay wore makeup as well, maybe just not as much.
As for Clay, well, he didn't really come out until after his AI season finished.

Anyway, the makeup situation has nothing to do with how talented these young folks are. Paula looked good but I don't find she has a great voice.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Danny safe after hearing that mirror-shattering banshee scream last night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Allison.
Should have been Danny.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allison going home is just plain wrong.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

How is Danny safe after hearing that mirror-shattering banshee scream last night?
He has had one bad night out of the whole season

Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Allison.
Should have been Danny.
I honestly think they got it right, Danny has not been in the bottom all season long

Originally Posted by xocats

Allison going home is just plain wrong.
I am glad it was Allison and not Danny

Originally Posted by Moz

Paula totally lip synced that!
Paula made me wanna throw up

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really shouldn't have been Allison. She was great. IMO, it should have been Kris Allen. He's a good singer, but he's so boring and forgettable. Whenever I talk about it at work, I always seem to forget one person who's in the competition, and it's always him. Danny had one bad night, but he's been great in every other performance. I'm really getting sick of Adam too. He seems way too cocky on the stage, like he knows he's going to win this (which he probably will, unfortunately).