American Idol 2008

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So in the middle of all my drama tonight I watched American Idol. It was really good, actually! My husband's middle name is Neil after Neil Diamond. His dad is a huge fan. Anyway, Brooke's second song was really good!! The best was David Cook. He is just amazing!! What did you all think?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love David Cook! Every week he does his own thing and sounds great.
I liked Jasons first song, didnt like Brooke at all, I think Syesha is pretty good and Im not a David A fan but I didnt think he sounded quite as good this week.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really didn't like David A tonight. Honestly, I've just gotten bored with him, and IMO he needs to go. And when Randy said after his first song about his age...that shouldn't even be a factor! I think Shayesia did well tonight, and Brooke's second song was good. She should have dumped the guitar the for her first song and had some energy because that was an energetic song. David Cook was awesome, as usual. Jason, I'm sorry to say, I think he's going to go. And, I really like him! I think he has a definite talent for a certain style, and if I ever go to Jamica or Florida, I'll be looking for him
but they were right...he needs to try to get out of his comfort zone and try something different. But, again, that is his style...

What I thought was hilarious was when Paula started on Jason's second song....when he hadn't even sung it yet!!
OMG, pop another one Paula! And, why didn't Randy or Simon STOP her when she started talking about his second song????

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lost interest since Carly was voted off. I think she was drowned out by the backup singers on "Jesus Christ Superstar." I would have loved to have heard her do "I Don't Know How To Love Him."
I really think the backup singers have been detrimental to more than one song this year. I can't think of one right now being half asleep, but I really don't think they are doing any of the contestants any favors.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to wonder if the judges comments are written in advance sometimes and maybe that's why Paula messed up. The judges do see the contestant's rehearsals throughout the week.....who knows?

I think Simon was disproportionately harsh on Syesha. She did not deserve the "You're in trouble after tonight" comment....she was way better than even David A., who of course got high appraisals from the judges despite the voice cracking and inability to get out of HIS comfort zone of ballad songs....and of course Jason Castro. His comment to her seemed out of context to say the least....

I think Jason's time is up tonight, but who knows, I've been wrong before and it is a huge popularity contest this year. I honestly don't know if I want to watch it anymore.....

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think Jason should be gone tonight and wonder how he is still there, it is Michael Johns who should still be there. David Archuleta is overrated and hope he is gone soon too but with these little tweenies voting for him, I guess he may be there for a while longer tho he doesn't deserve to be. My fav is David Cook and whether he wins or not, he will make a career for himself since he has the most talent of any of them in my opinion. Paula is on drugs whether prescription or not or she is drunk most of the time, I would love to see her get the boot, she does absolutely nothing for this show.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! The last call they took was AWESOME! An English lady named Tara called in and asked Simon which kiss he liked better - the one with Paula or his first kiss with the caller, aged nine!
He asked her if she was still cute, and she said, "I think you've aged well, and so have I."

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So last night with Paula's screw up... I wonder if it was her just being crazy, or if it really is a peek into the inner workings of AI.

Brooke is going home. I do like her, but it was her time. I hope she does some kind of piano album. She does really good with that.

What do you all think about Brooke, Paula, etc??

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

So last night with Paula's screw up... I wonder if it was her just being crazy, or if it really is a peek into the inner workings of AI.

Brooke is going home. I do like her, but it was her time. I hope she does some kind of piano album. She does really good with that.

I really liked Brooke, I loved to hear her sing, I think Paula is an idiot, I think she is either on drugs or drunk, she does nothing for the show. I watch the show to hear Simon and the singers.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I also think Jason should be gone tonight and wonder how he is still there, it is Michael Johns who should still be there. David Archuleta is overrated and hope he is gone soon too but with these little tweenies voting for him, I guess he may be there for a while longer tho he doesn't deserve to be. My fav is David Cook and whether he wins or not, he will make a career for himself since he has the most talent of any of them in my opinion. Paula is on drugs whether prescription or not or she is drunk most of the time, I would love to see her get the boot, she does absolutely nothing for this show.
Jason is still there because all the young girls are voting for him, David A is good, he is just young, but I don't think he is over rated. I do like David Cook too, and I think it is gonna be between the two Davids for the final.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

I heard on a few talk shows today that the judges do sit in on the rehersals and make notes on their performances there. I didn't know they were allowed to do that, but I guess since they aren't really judging now, and just being critics they should be able to. That is where the second note was supposed to come from...but, Paula should have been paying more attention. I've heard that she is on prescription drugs for back problems or something, but from the video that they showed earlier in the season, her dancing doesn't look that she has any back problems. But, I love Paula...at least she tries to find something positive about each performance, even if it's just their outfit.

I really like Brooke but I am surprised she made it this far. I think she is too. I still think she will get a recording deal...her style just isn't main stream. I would buy her CD because I love her voice!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Jason is still there because all the young girls are voting for him, David A is good, he is just young, but I don't think he is over rated. I do like David Cook too, and I think it is gonna be between the two Davids for the final.
I agree about the final. I really like Jason, though. He's really cute and he has that old school Sumblime feel to him. It's going to be a tough week next week, though. I heard them say it was Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so you know David Cook is going to rock the house. I'm not real sure how Syesha will do with it. It's going to be interesting!!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No surprises for me last night. I expected Brooke to go a week or two ago. Jason should be next. or David A. Both are BORING BORING BORING. I'm no Syesha fan, but at least she tries. Carly was better then all of the above.

David C should win

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

No surprises for me last night. I expected Brooke to go a week or two ago. Jason should be next. or David A. Both are BORING BORING BORING. I'm no Syesha fan, but at least she tries. Carly was better then all of the above.

David C should win
Wow I agree with everything you said

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No surprise to me at last nights elimination, it was time for her to go! Now, I think Jason C. will be the next to go! With that being said, I think it will come down to David A. and David C. in the finals!! IMO

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, Brooke looked so sad last night.

I'm not crazy about the remaining four. This hasn't been the best pool of AI contestants, and all the interesting people are gone, IMO.

Paula is a nut, but they'll never get rid of her.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To tell you the truth, I'm glad that Brooke is gone, just because I'm sick and tired of her breaking into tears every week. Once in a while is OK, but every week I find very tiresome. For some reason I've never liked David A, David C is OK, I guess. Maybe I'm just too old to watch AI.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
David Cook grew on me and now I think he is the best and hopefully win. That said, if he doesn't win he will still have a career because he has a lot of talent where as David Archuleta will go nowhere even if he does win. The kid needs to get a personality, he is such a dud on stage. It was time for Brooke to go but Jason Castro has overstayed his welcome and should have been gone a long time ago. He is the most boring singer of them all, he and David A. of course.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll make my opinion regarding tonight's AI short and simple...

David C =

Jason =

Syesha =

David A. =

I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my opinion.

~KK~

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, David C's first song was terrible. I love David and I love Duran Duran, but come on, you don't even hear people trying to sing "Hungry like the Wolf" at karakoe. The range is, what...5 notes? Even when Duran Duran sang it live in concert it was awful. That is a "studio only" song! VERY bad choice in my opinion. His second song rocked though!

Syesha was awesome tonight!! I loved both her songs, but her first was her best! I'm glad she's finally got rid of the "cutesy" look and started acting and dressing like a diva.

Jason...aww, poor Jason. I really like him too, and I think he will have a career in his own style, but his arrangement of "I shot the Sherriff" was just too strange, and with forgetting the words for the second song...I'm expecting him to go.

David A. I'm not a huge fan. I was in the beginning, but everything started to sound the same. His first song was great! His second I didn't really like as much. First, it was just another ballad, and in my opinion, he went too far in "making it his own" that if turned it on after the first two lines I wouldn't recognize the melody. But, the judges loved it, so who knows.

Basically, AI IS a popularity contest, which is what is what it is meant to be. They are chosing someone who they think will sell records (oh, I'm sorry, I'm old...I meant CDs
) And to sell, they need the whole package. Talent (which they all have), style, looks and sex appeal. You KNOW if some of the #1 artists in the past wouldn't have gotten this far if they had tried to start on AI. I could just see Simon saying to Elvis (just for an example) "That was a nightmare!"

So, basing it on those factors, I think Syesha may be a finalist. Hopefully the other will be David C. Jason, I'm afraid will be going.