Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in bed just now, just finding it hard to shut off for the night. I can hear the hubby downstairs chatting away to the kittens telling them how 'beautiful they are' and how they need to be good for their mummy when she comes back. I've actually never heard him be such a cutie like that with an animal before. (He's more a dog person) I'm more a cat person. I'm going to go straight to the vets at 9am tomorrow morning to find out what's happening as it's driving me mad knowing Jessie is there and I'm not the one caring for her. Thank you again for all your support X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're very welcome! It's been my pleasure to assist. I think seeing about Jessie in the morning is a terrific idea, and will ease your mind. Her nipples must be bursting with milk.

What a sweet hubby you have! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Start deep breathing to calm yourself now.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is Jessie today? Were you able to visit with her?

And how are the babies doing? I hope all went well through the night.

I also hope you were able to sleep a few hours yourself - enough to keep going and not feel sick.

Update at your convenience.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry for not updating sooner. Things haven't been too good.
The good news is we got Jessie home last night about 4pm.
Bad news is another 2 of her kittens passed. 1 was gone yesterday morning and then the other yesterday afternoon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear!

I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you know what happened?

I'm really glad Jessie is home. How is she doing?

Are the remaining 2 kittens nursing well?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear!

I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you know what happened?

I'm really glad Jessie is home. How is she doing?

Are the remaining 2 kittens nursing well?
No we don't know what happened with the other 2 yet but the vet has sent them to the bigger vetenery hospital for an autopsy to try and find out. Jessie has been absolutely fantastic with them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sure Jessie is relieved to be home and have that ordeal behind her.

And hoping you are getting rested and back to a routine. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the babies.  

Are you able to weigh them every day?  Do you know if they are gaining?  Not sure if they are nursing just from mom at this point or maybe need to be supplemented too.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the babies.  

Are you able to weigh them every day?  Do you know if they are gaining?  Not sure if they are nursing just from mom at this point or maybe need to be supplemented too.
Yes I've been weighing them and their gaining little amounts of weight but the vet assured me they will pick up quickly. They're still having most of they're feeds by bottle but Jessie is managing to nurse often but she becomes really tired and agitated quickly just now so I don't want to push her and risk her pushing the kittens away.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Jessie is relieved to be home and have that ordeal behind her.

And hoping you are getting rested and back to a routine. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I've managed a good 3 hour nap today but was up all night last night keeping an eye on Jessie and the other kittens as I was afraid if I went to sleep then something would happen to the remaining kittens or Jessie would end up really unwell again. I can't remember what it was the vet said but he said something about Jessie's calcium levels dropped and that made her more unwell than she should have been but they had gave her medication and some sort of iv to sort that out before she came home

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are not gaining at least 6 grams per day, that could be a reason for the decline.  If they aren't gaining, you may want to feed them smaller amounts more often for now until you can get them and Jessie stabilized. 

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are not gaining at least 6 grams per day, that could be a reason for the decline.  If they aren't gaining, you may want to feed them smaller amounts more often for now until you can get them and Jessie stabilized. 
1 of them is having 3mls from the bottle every 2 hours then whatever it is getting from Jessie every 3 hours. The other is taking 4mls every 2 hours but seems to be finding it harder to feed from Jessie as it doesn't stay latched on properly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
samjam samjam

Is Jessie getting pain meds?

I don't blame you for wanting to observe after losing two of them.

How much do the kittens weigh today?

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
samjam samjam

Is Jessie getting pain meds?

I don't blame you for wanting to observe after losing two of them.

How much do the kittens weigh today?
Yeah she has something called Mexoclam plus she has a course of antibiotics to try and prevent any infections.
One of the kittens is 110g and the other is 114g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's not bad for 2 days old. They started around 100 grams each. And they are getting the proper amounts of formula on a regular schedule. Hopefully, these two are healthy and will make it!

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's not bad for 2 days old. They started around 100 grams each. And they are getting the proper amounts of formula on a regular schedule. Hopefully, these two are healthy and will make it!
I really hope so, I can't handle anymore heartbreak. It's been an awful few days. We've decided to keep the kittens that have survived. I can't bare to think of being parted with them now. X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm with you! Too much heartbreak. In fact, you've been on an emotional roller coaster.

I'm so excited that you'll be keeping the kittens! The bond is so strong when you bottle feed.

Alrhough I did not bottle feed, I still could not part with the kittens from the pregnant stray I took in last year. So I kept mama and all 4 of her kittens!

They are grown now, and I love them more every day!

I'm glad Jessie is getting her medicine. She'll feel much better in another day or two. My cat turned the corner after about 3 days when she was spayed.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with you! Too much heartbreak. In fact, you've been on an emotional roller coaster.

I'm so excited that you'll be keeping the kittens! The bond is so strong when you bottle feed.

Alrhough I did not bottle feed, I still could not part with the kittens from the pregnant stray I took in last year. So I kept mama and all 4 of her kittens!

They are grown now, and I love them more every day!

I'm glad Jessie is getting her medicine. She'll feel much better in another day or two. My cat turned the corner after about 3 days when she was spayed.
She's to go back to the vets with the kittens for a check up on Tuesday as he wants to keep and extra eye on them all just to make sure everything is as it should be. I just hope the heartbreak is over with as it's been truly horrible. I can't imagine how Jessie must feel.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I'd been wondering how everyone was doing.  So sorry to read about the 2 kittens. But very happy to see Jessie was able to come home yesterday. And that you will be keeping the kittens.

Looking forward to more mama and kitten pictures when both felines and humans are rested and feeling up to doing a photo shoot.   Do the kittens have names yet?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I'd been wondering how everyone was doing.  So sorry to read about the 2 kittens. But very happy to see Jessie was able to come home yesterday. And that you will be keeping the kittens.

Looking forward to more mama and kitten pictures when both felines and humans are rested and feeling up to doing a photo shoot.   Do the kittens have names yet?
I'm letting my son name them but he hasn't decided on names yet. We have 1 girl and 1 boy left. He said he likes smokey for the boy though but he's not sure. He wants me to write a list of names and tell him them so he can choose from a list.