Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

jessritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.. I think it's cool that both of our kitties got pregnant and delivered around the same time. And they both delivered 4. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of 2 precious babies.but the ones you have are beautiful..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
samjam samjam

Aww. How sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

I'm happy to hear that mom is well enough to do all the nursing and cleaning now.

You are so on top of things to have them booked for spay/neuter in October.

And yes, kitten coat colors often change as they mature. It's very interesting! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Sometimes the vet has a waiting list so I thought it better to book it now so that as soon as they are old enough I can get it done and not risk the girl going into heat and risk her getting outside m. Genuinely couldn't cope or witness anything like this again. I don't know about Jessie but it definitely traumatised me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree wholeheartedly! I had to book about a month ahead here, and that was before kitten season was even in full swing!

My kittens were back home a few hours later, playing and eating as though nothing had occurred. They do so well when young! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree wholeheartedly! I had to book about a month ahead here, and that was before kitten season was even in full swing!

My kittens were back home a few hours later, playing and eating as though nothing had occurred. They do so well when young! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I have both booked in for the morning of 18th October so one will be done after the other so I can get them both home at the same time the same afternoon. I just don't want to take any chances this time especially when there seems to be more intact males in my area just now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, perfect! They should not be sexually mature yet in October, and as long as they stay inside, you'll have no issues at all. They will only be about 16 weeks then. It's just right. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, perfect! They should not be sexually mature yet in October, and as long as they stay inside, you'll have no issues at all. They will only be about 16 weeks then. It's just right. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Yeah my vet said its normally 17 weeks he recommends but he's booked up quite a bit and doesn't want me having any problems or risks of the female escaping as he thinks if she's like her mum she will go into season young the way she did.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ladies please don't judge me as I have no idea how this has happened but one of the kittens have fleas. Checked Jessie and she has them also and I'm sure the other kitten has a few. How soon can I treat them for fleas ? I've scrubbed my full house but it's no use if they all still have them. As I said I have no idea how it's happened as we have no other pets and Jessie was flea and wormed before she gave birth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay. Jessie could have picked them up at the vet, or there could have been eggs that hatched.

Ask your vet for product to put on Jessie's neck, such as Advantage II. It will usually kill fleas on the kittens too.

They can have their own flea medicine at 2 pounds. They could have a tiny drop applied with an ear swab on their neck now if it's bad.

Also, flea comb the kittens and pick them off, dipping the comb in a bowl of water mixed with dish soap.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's okay. Jessie could have picked them up at the vet, or there could have been eggs that hatched.

Ask your vet for product to put on Jessie's neck, such as Advantage II. It will usually kill fleas on the kittens too.

They can have their own flea medicine at 2 pounds. They could have a tiny drop applied with an ear swab on their neck now if it's bad.

Also, flea comb the kittens and pick them off, dipping the comb in a bowl of water mixed with dish soap.
I called the vet and he said to dilute some tea tree or aloe Vera in cool boiled water and comb the kittens which I've done and my hubby nipped to the vets and got a flea type tablet to give Jessie that should pass to the kittens which the vet assured me is safe. I'm going to scrub the house again to be sure there is no more eggs that can get back to them and I've changed all the bedding in their nest. Anything else I should do to try and help ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you've covered your bases! I love your vet. He's just so nice sounding and helpful.

Let us know how this treatment works! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you've covered your bases! I love your vet. He's just so nice sounding and helpful.

Let us know how this treatment works! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
He's a life saver, I have no idea what I'm going to do when he retires. I just hope it's not anytime soon lol.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Just thought I would give an update with pictures. So this is the girl now, we've named her Diva and she is such a little character. She seems to be a night owl and has lots of energy from about 11pm till 2am and has started roaming a little and has even tried climbing out of the nest

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

And this is our boy Dusty. He seems a lot quieter than his sister and tends to prefer cuddling into Jessie than anything else, whenever Jessie moves away from him he cries until she goes back to the nest. Can tell he is a mummy's boy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are so precious! Don't they just melt your heart? [emoji]128149[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are so precious! Don't they just melt your heart? [emoji]128149[/emoji]
I'm totally in love. They are amazing little things. Jessie is starting to get slightly aggressive towards them but I'm unsure if that's a normal thing but I tend not to leave her with them alone for long incase she hurts them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal. She begins disciplining them and teaching manners in this way. They will mind her forever too!

My 4 kittens are 15 months old and very good, but mama still fusses at them occasionally, and they totally mind her! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's normal. She begins disciplining them and teaching manners in this way. They will mind her forever too!

My 4 kittens are 15 months old and very good, but mama still fusses at them occasionally, and they totally mind her! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Really ? I keep thinking she will hurt them as she tends to use her teeth and bites at their ears or grabs them at their throat by her teeth and doesn't let them go unless I say 'don't hurt them'. Was getting worried and my vets away on holiday for 2 weeks now so I can't just call him and badger him with questions lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's fine to break it up if you think she is being too rough. I broke it up when my kittens would scream sometimes.

But she's really not going to hurt them deliberately. It often looks worse than it is. I know it's hard to watch it though. [emoji]128528[/emoji]